West Wing Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 1009 students

We are best known for excelling school and programs.

Posted June 16, 2014

West Wing is a fantastic school with caring teachers and a principal that knows most every student by name. They care about all children academically and personally. Great lengths are gone to to help each student reach their potential. The staff works together well and makes for a positive and ideal atmosphere. I highly recommend this school and the Deer Valley School District.

Posted June 8, 2014

West Wing Elementary is a wonderful school! My kids go there and the staff is caring and amazing with my kids. I can see that the teachers go up and beyond my expectations as a parent. You can tell that they truly care about their students. I feel so blessed and lucky for my kids to attend West Wing.

Posted June 4, 2014

The principal has a background in special education and personally knows each of the students that receive specialized services at her school. She is passionate about giving all students the opportunity to grow to their potential.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 3, 2014

My children have attended West Wing school since it opened. I now have one in high school and one still attending West Wing. I am a very involved parent who has been in many different classrooms through the years. I can honestly say that the teachers care very much and want the children to succeed. The principal is involved and often gives students the extra attention that they need. I see how many families and students she knows personally and how she greets them. It shows that she cares about each and every one of them. Overall, I am extremely happy with the education and experiences that my children have received while attending West Wing.

Posted June 2, 2014

I am a mother of 2 students who attend West Wing School. I wanted to take a moment to extend my sincerest gratitude to the AMAZING teachers who have challenged, encouraged, and supported my children for the past 6 years. My children have blossomed so much in their reading, writing and math skills. My children have greatly enjoyed being involved in extra-curricular activities, too. West Wing's Art, Music, PE, and Band programs have brought such joy to my son and daughter and given them the opportunity to be on stage and try new adventures! I have also found the front office and Administrative staff to be friendly and helpful every time I come into school. I love the fact that parent volunteers are welcomed and appreciated at school. If I were moving into the West Wing area, I would absolutely put my children at West Wing School.

Posted June 2, 2014

At West Wing school teachers and staff do a great job communicating with parents about any questions or concerns. Staff is very prompt at relying to parents via email. Parents and teachers work together to create the best learning environment for the children. The school and staff do an excellent job hosting open houses to see children's work frequently through out the year. There is always chances for parents to help out and get involved in one way or another. West Wing is an excellent school.

Posted June 1, 2014

My kids have attended West Wing for the last 7 years. They have had a great experience. Their teachers use a lot of different methods to teach them including small reading groups and flex grouping. This has helped them a lot because they have both gotten extra help in reading. My son excels at math and he has learned beyond his grade level standards. If we have ever had an issue with a teacher it was always been worked out before I had to contact the principal. It is nice to see the principal so involved and she really knows my kids and how they are doing. I am impressed by the programs that they use to build character with the kids. This is an amazing school where ALL the staff cares a lot about the kids!

Posted June 1, 2014

I am very happy that my kids have gone to West Wing for their entire schooling. We have been at West Wing for the last 7 years and loved it. From the moment both of my kids started school at West Wing, they have had hard working, loving, and dedicated teachers. Every person on the West Wing campus, from the principal to the teachers to the office staff and beyond, has one central focus and that is the overall well being of each and every child on campus. Every child is treated with respect, given what they need to be successful, and shown on a daily basis how much they matter. My kids have gotten a top notch education while growing socially and emotionally as well. I feel very fortunate to have my kids at West Wing and look forward to many more years at this top notch school.

Posted June 1, 2014

Our family wasn't impressed with West Wing Elementary. We moved our son to Peoria Traditional. Much friendlier teachers, principal and better curriculum.

Posted June 1, 2014

My kids have been at West Wing since Kindergarten, I continue to be impressed with the staff and Dr. Price-Barry more and more with each passing year. The teachers show a true interest in my children and are always available to answer questions, or give input when needed. My kids and I are looking forward to the upcoming school year!!

Posted June 1, 2014

I have two children who have attended West Wing for four years. We have been nothing but happy with the teachers and administrators of the school. Our children are fortunate to be part of the gifted cluster classes and both have excelled and been encouraged to learn in new and exciting ways. We have a boy and a girl and both have reported to us that any issues brought to a teacher's attention have been attended to swiftly and fairly. The focus of West Wing School is, without a doubt, the students. The school puts so much emphasis on learning and achieving while maintaining a sense of community. What a blessing as a parent to know that my children are so well taken care of each and every day by each and every staff member and administrator at West Wing Elementary School.

Posted June 1, 2014

This school is run by a principal who cares more about her school than any child who is struggling in school so my friends brother needed help but the teacher said no then turned around and helped the little girl behind her but that was only the beginning every day he would go home crying so the parent sent the teacher and principal an email and she responded in a very rude way she didn't say sorry or that they would try to fix it they just said the parent was rude because she/he was looking out for the child so if u want a bad experience in school you should go to west wing the bully is out if control and the principal does nothing about it

Posted June 1, 2014

have been nothing but impressed with my child's teacher and the principal. Not only are they professional, but have the best interest of my child in mind each day. I have appreciated their fairness to help teach her to make good choices and be fair to others too, even when it doesn't benefit her first. Academically she has been challenged and helped in areas where she struggles. She had a great first year at West Wing, and I would highly recommend this school to anyone, even over a private school.

Posted June 1, 2014

Both of my children attended West Wing school when we moved to this area. As a result of the excellent instruction they received, both my son and daughter graduated in the top 1% of their high school graduating classes and received full ride university scholarships. West Wing School's Principal ensured that both my son and daughter were appropriately placed in advanced academic classes. For gifted students, there is no better school in the area! The teachers challenge the students but still ensure that everyone is learning and achieving. The principal knows every student and makes sure that everyone is appropriately placed for their needs. Students who need extra help also receive specialized reading and math class. If you're new to the area, be sure to introduce yourself to the principal. She'll sit down with you to make sure all of your child's needs are met. This is a great area to live and an excellent school.

Posted June 1, 2014

My children attended WW from its inception 8 years ago. When they were in 1st and 2nd grade, they received reading intervention by a reading specialist and brought to grade level by 3rd grade. Today, they are both taking honors and AP level classes at SDOHS, thanks to the preparation they had at WW school. WW's principal has worked tirelessly to get the school to its "A" ranking. She cares very deeply and passionately about students, not only from an academic standpoint but also their emotional well-being. She takes time to get involved with students and their families, build relationships and knows most students by name. In addition, she takes special care to find the most qualified and caring teachers to deliver instruction that is consistent with the standards and expectations of the school and district. WW has the honor of having at least three "Teacher of the Year" winners on staff. The teachers reflect the same caring and passion for their life's work as the principal does and work year round to provide the best instruction for the children of the community. WW is a community that values education and supports their children and school. WW is a great choice!

Posted June 1, 2014

West Wing is a child centered caring school with the highest learning expectations for all students. The staff works hard to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of the individual's learning style. The learning environment is safe, supportive and promotes good character. The leadership is helpful, involved and proactive.West Wing is an A+ school.

Posted June 1, 2014

West Wing is a top notch school and its leadership is the best. I have been an educator for over 20 years and have seen staff and principals come and go. The principals at West Wing are the best I have ever worked for. They care deeply about every student there and work day and night to ensure everyone's success. I have never met a principal that works harder and with more compassion. She knows most every student by name in her over 1000 enrollment! That is rare! If you ever have a concern, there is an open door policy. The staff there is fantastic too, very caring and talented. What a privilege to work with so many wonderful people!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 1, 2014

West Wing School is a wonderful school with great community spirit. The principal is a visionary who has garnered respect from her teaching staff, parents, and students. Her compassion and dedication to student learning and growth flourishes year after year. The principal takes pride in the interviewing and hiring process and this is evident with the amazing teachers who work at West Wing. The West Wing staff has great camaraderie and a strong dedication to their students. With the dedicated leadership and knowledgeable staff, the current and future students that attend West Wing can ensure a positive experience that will set them on the right path to a bright future.

Posted June 1, 2014

West Wing is a rarity. My son has been attending West Wing for the past 3 years, and to him, it feels like home. His teachers all know my son's strengths and help him to feel successful. They also hold him accountable when he isn't representing the character traits (trustworthiness, responsibility, respect, etc). This skill alone I feel will aid him in his success in the future more than the academics, which are obviously rigorous given their continued excelling labels. My son had an amazing 5th grade year, with real world experiences (like a field trip to BizTown), exceptional band and choral concerts, as well as just great teachers and fellow students who looked out for him and helped elevate him to his potential. I can't wait to see what 6th grade has in store!

Posted April 2, 2014

My school is West Wing Elementary and I am very proud to have my children attend this school. I have never had any problems with teachers when I have reached out to them regarding my children. I know many of the teachers well and they all really care about how the students do in the school. Could there be improvement, of course, any school always has room to grow and improve. I like to see a more consistent procedure on when students bring home fliers and such so parents know when to look for them to come home. I also would like to see more parent involvement with the size of the school we have. I would highly recommend West Wing and they are now offering Free All Day Kindergarten starting in the 2014-2015 school year. Good luck on what ever school you choose for your child/children.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 9%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Excelling School (2010)
  • Excelling School (2009)
  • Excelling School (2008)

Arts & music

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Dr. Price-Barry
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Is there an application process?
Fax number

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper

Visit

Elementary school
Middle school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Sandra Day O'Connor High School