Posted August 22, 2014
I'm a Brophy graduate and the suggestions that (a) the religion is overbearing and (b) the academics are anything but absolutely first-rate are simply uninformed. I would never disparage a good public high school, but Brophy is an example of a highly esteemed Jesuit institution and stands on its record of consistently sending graduates to the finest colleges/universities in the country and out into the world where many of them are important figures in their fields and professions.

Brophy College Preparatory 4

Posted May 06, 2014
As a parent, it is disheartening to hear from business owners and staff ( that can recognize Brophy and Xavier students from their uniform) at Phoenix establishments that the teens are often rude, disrespectful and seem to have a sense of entitlement. I know this is not the majority of students, but those that act this way and are rude to service staff and not respectful to people they encounter in the community leave a bad impression.

Posted April 28, 2014
I posted a review here August 18, 2003 as my son was beginning his junior year at Brophy, he'll graduate in the top ten from JD program at James E. Rogers College of Law next month. over the years it has been interesting to follow the paths of other grads from Brophy.

Posted April 06, 2014
As a former student, I found my Brophy experience varied. The administration can be very helpful and insightful, and I really enjoyed some of my teachers over my time there. I matured, made my best friends, and was able to get a GREAT academic education. I did not really play sports on campus, but I found there was a little bit of a disparity between the mindsets of some of the students and myself, especially early on. Some of the students were a little lazy, slacked off, and focused more on partying than school, but that was their personal choice. I feel that if you want to excel as a student, Brophy offers all the resources one could ask for to create a successful student. It also gives you opportunities to go to schools like Stanford (go Cardinal!), Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc., but that is ALL contingent on the amount of work a given student is willing to put in. I felt that if someone really wanted to succeed at Brophy, they definitely could. However, some students do the work just to get by, which detracts a little bit from the opportunities available post-graduation. Overall, I would candidly recommend Brophy, especially if your son is a go-getter and desires to succeed.

Brophy College Preparatory 4

Posted August 21, 2013
We researched Brophy heavily and personally know many former graduates and students. It's an excellent school but It was not a great fit for what we were seeking. We were seeking a very academic oriented school where the majority of students' ambition was to matriculate at Ivy League or top university. In our opinion, Brophy places too much emphasis upon athletics and the social element. Brophy is somewhat of a legacy school as well. Many students are children of former Brophy graduates. We didn't want our child to feel at a disadvantage because his parents didn't attend Brophy. We understand that religion is not overbearing here, but it's also not something one can dismiss either. We are not Christian, and did not want our child to feel like he couldn't fit in or that his faith was somehow inferior. Despite these challenges, I wanted to rate Brophy high. I have a very high opinion of the school. I do think that an academically inclined student can succeed here. I also think it is an excellent choice if your child wishes to play collegiate or professional sports. But for us, we desired a school whose primary focus was on academics.

Posted June 20, 2013
Prior to enrolling my son into Brophy, I was surprised by the strong negative reactions from individuals who judged the school by hearsay. However, when I spoke to several Brophy graduates and their parents from different racial backgrounds and socio-economic levels, they raved about the school, teachers and their classmates. My son was accepted to Brophy this year. I have found this school to be a very positive experience for my son, especially as a former public school teacher from AZ. Throughout the admission process, the administrators were responsive to requests and the student helpers were kind and respectful. The school has kept us informed every step of the way through emails; a welcome dinner; assigning my son an upper classman mentor to make his transition to high school easier (who he met already); a new student day where he met with counselors, department chairs and coaches. And, his Freshman year hasn't even started yet (it's mid-June as I write this). Lastly, we come from modest means and received a scholarship for my son to attend. My son has felt welcomed and not made to feel inferior. He is taking summer school and loves it!

Posted May 19, 2013
Brophy is a great school if your son is willing and able to put in the four hours of homework daily that it takes to get good grades. For the middle-class single parent who works long hours to pay the steep tuition, it can be disappointing. For the athlete, it is difficult to find the time to do all the work required. There are no do-overs like at the public high schools, you can't retake the course over the summer for a better grade and up your GPA. The rich and poor get the help needed at home or by Brophy to make it an easier journey. There is tuition aide or outside $ tutors are used. If you can't pay for a tutor or stay at home but are willing and able to get on-line daily to see what is required and then have the time to sit and make sure its done (or if you have a highly motivated 14 year old boy who will do everything themselves!), it's taxing. And you will pay lots as tuition has been rising. Brophy staff (teachers and administration) are great at knowing your son and making them accountable. My son has made great life-long friends. He has learned many lessons to become a man for others. For that I will always be grateful to Brophy.

Posted May 06, 2013
Brophy is a wonderful community....outstanding faculty, accomplished students and very involved parents. The curriculum and expectations are high. If you want an easy education at a private school, consider Scottsdale Christian Academy....they will let you come and go as you please (as long as you pay the tuition!) with a curriculum that is far from challenging.

Posted September 30, 2012
I am a former student of Brophy. I have since graduated from a top college and am now in medical school. I was in the honors program at Brophy and have since found school easy. For someone who isn t related to a student or at least know a student personally to say otherwise is completely irresponsible and not fair. Brophy has the highest rate of college-bound graduates in the state and is competitive on a national level in that regard. Study and work hard and Harvard/Princeton/Yale are not out of reach. In order to go to an Ivy League from other schools in the state, you really have to stand out. Moreover, Brophy is one of the most tight-knit communities I have ever been involved in and lets face it: when it comes to getting a job (or that internship you really want), it certainly doesn t hurt. I haven t even graduated medical school yet but I know there will be a job waiting for me after residency thanks to the Brophy community and who I now know. There is absolutely no doubt that the academics at Brophy are by far and away the best in the state and no one has higher standards. No public school comes close.

Brophy College Preparatory 3

Posted September 15, 2012
Note that I am NOT a Brophy parent, but have several friends who are, of students school at what I feel is a better public school and probably generally agreed to be the best Public High School in Arizona, Desert Vista High School. We considered Brophy, but decided against it for several reasons and feels, for us, our decision for our sons was the right one. Both our sons have and are excelling at DVHS. Brophy didnt work for us 1. the Religion is overbearing 2. The Academics are inferior (in my opinion) to DVHS and 3. Our son now at UA is convinced Brophy kids are lacking. After seeing Brophy boys instate at U of A, most are lacking in college prep/social skills, perhaps it's just the ones that stayed instate are the weaker one, perhaps, but parents considering Brophy would do well to look 4 years ahead and recognize there are better public High Schools with higher standards.

Brophy College Preparatory
4701 North Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ  85012
Last modified Brophy College Preparatory is a Private school that serves grades 6-12
Brophy College Preparatory Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top