Arizona Conservatory for Arts and Academics

Charter | K-12 | 215 students

One of the top performing arts schools in Phoenix, AZ.

Posted October 30, 2014

I am very disappointed in this school. When my childs teacher tells me what to feed my child then its all over I sent my child with choc chip teddy grahms which have the same nutritional value as yogurt and granola bars and she preceded to tell me because they had chocolate it was not healthy. Schools should be worried about all the children getting physical education every day. This school has no licensed medical staff and no nutritionist like public schools. This school is a dissappointment and high school consistently runs out of hot meals every day because they refuse to stagger lunches. whoever decided to put this school in the middle of a business park was not smart. this school could not even help my child struggling with his math. Very dissappointed

Posted June 16, 2014

This is one of the grossest and cheapest school I've ever been too. None of the desks are matching and pretty much every is a hand me down. The academics how ever are terrible and lazy and there also times when we don't learn at all. The art classes here are great but Theirs one glass were you don't do anything at all and can pull of a grade somehow. There is also a time when this school fed food poisoning to the elementary students and they tried to cover it up. I swear ... someone should sue this school for almost killing a child! This school also has the worst summer homework that is totally unnecessary because they say "Hey heres a book and well your on that , complete 500 math lessons in 2 months!" "hope you have a great summer!".. Not even exaggerating cause here I am writing this to warning the people That you have to go through this if your at this school.

Posted January 7, 2014

My personal reflection with YEARS of children attending ACAA Part 4 of 4. My husband and I both graduated from major Universities, and we NEVER had it that strict, or ever had that much homework EVER, not by a long shot. They are losing a LOT of 7-8th grade children in enrollment due to the strict regime of middle school, so be aware of this too. Like the previous parents (posts) have stated, their HS is AMAZING! US News voted one of the best in the country! This is no mistake. However, if you are ONLY looking for a school to send a 7th-8th grader to, I would steer clear until High School. These crazy strict stories about forgetting a pencil, or forgetting to answer a question resulting in a FAIL are all true! But all in all, I would rather a school be a little overly strict than to not know my child and their own personal needs. All in all ACAA is a 4 out of 5 star school in my book. - A long time parent of several children that attend ACAA.

Posted December 19, 2013

I have to agree with some of the other parents who complain that the grading at this schools is absurd. You get a 0 if you don't complete 1 out of 27 questions??? This has happened more than once at this school. There is also no consistency with the dress code. If the first period teacher doesn't write up a violation and the child doesn't alter his or her dress by the time they get to second period then how can the second period teacher state your child violated the policy??? This lends itself to a child being targeted/harassed by certain teachers. This school also gives entirely too much homework. I have to wonder what they are doing with their class time. The main reason for the one star review is that one teacher in the school is bordering on harassment of my child. My child was bullied by students at her previous school so I placed her in this school to remove her from that environment and now there is a teacher that harasses her. This upsets and disappoints me greatly. Bad enough when kids bully each other, unacceptable when a teacher harasses a child.

Posted November 13, 2013

I am a current ACAA parent of children that attend the elementary, middle, and high school. I usually do not do these types of things but another ACAA parent shared with me the negative things that other parents are saying about this school. Firstly, I commend the ACAA administration because they do their best to take care of the students. Parents may not always agree but I know through experience the administration takes care of business and has the best interest of the students, teachers, and parents. Secondly, I have witnessed ACAA parents yelling, cussing, and being rude to each other in the front lobby with younger children present. Parents this is unacceptable. Please be professional and take your rude behavior in a place where no other people can hear or see you. Thirdly, I read the most recent posting regarding the administration. My thoughts on that posting are the arts and academics are where they are at through effective management of the administration and teachers. Without a great leader, the school would not be at where it is. I cannot reinterate enough through my experience with ACAA over 4 years, they have best interest for students, teachers and parents.

Posted November 10, 2013

First off, let me start off by saying that the arts program and the staff that teacher them are stellar!!! I cannot speak highly of the opportunities for growth in the arts here at ACAA. The students gain so much by having specials every day to hone in on their interest - it's great! While this school has a superb arts program, the administration at the elementary school level is lacking. Resolutions to issues either don't come, or take forever to be resolved. Although ACAA is an art school, the academic program is extremely rigorous, so make sure your child is at grade level, especially since it's a 4 day school week (there is tutoring that is available on Fridays). If you're looking for a school that welcomes parent input and parent volunteer opportunities, this is not the school to attend, as they are severely lacking at this school! While the arts classes and the staff that teach them are worthy of a 5, the administration and their unwillingness to accept parental input is why I rated this school 2 stars.

Posted August 12, 2013

This school simply changed my life. I had been bullied at all my middle school and was enrolled in the high school connected to it, I came home crying every day that I went there until my mom found ACAA. I had gone on a tour shortly after and knew that it was the perfect school for me. I tried everything to get in and was accepted shortly after. I am now a graduated student on my way to college and I can say that every year I spent there was filled with happiness and friends. Although no school is perfect, ACAA came so very close. I had had a few troubling teachers and a few issues with middle schoolers running in the halls and being disrespectful and a few girls that had transferred; but the teachers left and middle schoolers will be middle schoolers...and as for the girls, they became good friends of mine that just had some social issues. ACAA has changed my lie and made me the outgoing person I am today, without it, I would never have gotten over my social fear and would be an extremely different person for the worst.

Posted August 1, 2013

The elementary school's principal's response to an incorrect schedule spoke volumes. From the lack of introduction or welcome, to lack of engaging, talking to, or looking at our child, to his condescending, unapologetic attitude, it was all negative. Note that the optional ballet class is open 1st to current students & once spots are filled up, too bad, if you're new. This is not mentioned at any time, anywhere I said to him. He didn't respond or apologize. He puts us on a wait list for ballet. Gee, thanks - you couldn't just squeeze us in somewhere? Our child's schedule only had ONE arts class. We had to lose PE to gain a 2nd arts class. The $50 arts fee isn't for your child's supplies, it's to "support the arts program". It's a forced donation. After the dismissive treatment we got, we took our $50 check back. A few hours later I got a message asking why we took it back, was it because we didn't get ballet class? But, guess what? A few spots had suddenly opened up. Bad people skills & too much concern with money do not a good school make. Classic bait & switch. Great on paper, not in reality. We felt duped. Before/after care is overpriced & inflexible, also.

Posted July 15, 2013

its ok they only except the best so its good the arts and edu. are fitted for the student exactly

Posted June 14, 2013

This school uses their "S.T.A.R.S." program (writing in planner) to encourage accountability in students; however, the teachers did not stay organized nor did they communicate effectively. Teachers give a zero plus a reflection if a student accidentally skips a math problem. Parents, ACAA is a VERY negative environment and many of the students left mid-year due to the absurdity of their system. Additionally, there's a lot of busy-work and online teaching. If I thought my children, despite their good grades were actually learning from this, then I would not complain.

Posted May 16, 2013

I appreciate the passion and support the art departments convey to the students. When it comes to the academic departments, the teachers are no better or worse than other schools, sadly. My youngest son excels in the environment, whereas my older son seems to encounter the same issues as one encounters at other schools.

Posted May 13, 2013

If jumping through hoops is your thing, or if your kid needs lots of discipline, you'll be thrilled! ACAA participates in the draconian S.T.A.R.S. program, and issues kids a "no" for forgetting a pencil, having an improper marker (not an Expo) in their backpack, as well as for more serious infractions. If a students earns a no, they answer five questions with a paragraph each (and a paragraph doesn't count unless it has five complete sentences), then write an essay using prompt questions about why they didn't have an Expo marker (or whatever). ACAA holds binder checks to see what it is students have forgotten so they can issue nos where appropriate. If a student receives two nos in one week, they must attend "tutoring" on Friday, which consists of teachers passing out worksheets and students completing them. They offer busing, but of course NOT on Fridays, so if you have a job, you have to change your work schedule to get your child to school and back. Only 1 art show this year, you have to pay for each ticket to get in, and you can't call the school with a credit card, you must call box office. They expect a lot from students and parents, and don't give much back.

Posted July 17, 2012

This school not only has fantastic perfroming arts but also academics. This year both the middle and high school received A grades

Posted May 3, 2012

Thank God for this school that we made the right choice where we can enroll our very intellectual son who became sick and has to pull out from his class at that time and be taken cared of at home and hospital.When he was ready to come back he was not given a chance to get credit for the remainder of the quarter he will attend for.We decided to bring him to another school that will give credit for his attendance,it was ACCA. The faculty were awesome and the principal and assistant I guess(she was).They were all very accomodating and understanding. Now, my son is graduating on time(!) Despite all his excused absences from other school, he was able to recuperate. God is so good, He routed us to the right school with a heart for students like my son.Front desk employees were all awesome esp. Ann and Andrea, more power to you both.

Posted March 22, 2012

Oh please...no bathroom privileges! My children have been attending this school for four years and will gaduate in a couple of months; we were blessed to have found ACAA! My kids are average students but it was the opportunity for the arts that drew them and kept them on track academically. If your child has a passion for the arts, feed it! My children will both pursue their dreams by attending colleges of music and design and they will be far ahead of their contemporaries when they arrive in the fall. ACAA is awesome!

Posted March 22, 2012

My son started at this school this year. I have to say that, while there are certain things I'm not thrilled with (the bathroom issue being one of them), for us, this was the best move ever. At his regular public school, my son was not doing well academically or socially. He has been flourishing at ACAA. His grades have gone up to all As and Bs, and he loves being part of the voice and drama departments. If your children are the creative type, I highly recommend moving them to a school where they can be themselves. It was the best thing I have done for my child.

Posted March 21, 2012

If I could have chosen no stars; I would have. This is not a good school, they treat the children inhumanely. There is one bathroom for four hundred students, kept under lock and key by the staff. The kids are there from 8 - 4 and not allowed to use the restroom. They get one bathroom pass a semester. All four hundred children are supposed to use it during the five minute break when they go from class to class, but if they are tardy for using the restroom get detention. Oh, it's also locked during lunch!!! The teachers are really oddballs too. Unless you want your child treated like they belong in Sheriff Joe's jail - don't send them here!

Posted November 18, 2011

Terrible experience for my children. The staff withholds bathroom privileges and also uses the bathroom as rewards. My child brought home information from some of her teachers saying that she could earn use of the bathroom by writing essays and they get a free pass on their birthday. My children only lasted a month before we took them out. The art classes are just OK, The classes are over crowded and most of the teachers seem very unhappy. Not sure how they got a 9 rating?

Posted November 2, 2011

Our Daughter has been going here for a year-and-a-half now, and she loves it. I wish I had a school like this when I was her age! Conventional schools, no matter how hard they try, must discourage the individual and condition them to fit in. They become copies of copies---paupers to their education. ACAA understands that we're all supposed to be different and have our own, unique personalities and ideas. Innovation over imitation. Most schools and parents consider the arts a waste of time and school budgets. ACAA understands how critical the arts are to building and authenticating confidence and self-esteem. But without the arts...there can be no culture. That s not an easy path as a school or student in today s monitery-driven environments. The teachers at ACAA know the arts, academics and teaching experientially are esential to shaping children. Teaching by way of innovation, not imitation. ACAA encourages students to see through their own eyes and develop their own definitions for success. That s why we are looking forward to the next 5-1/2 years that our daughter will be attending ACAA. It s the most fun that she has ever had working her little tail off.

Posted October 26, 2011

This school had amazing arts programs, yet i left in less than a month the academics were so bad.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 35%N/A47%
Female 63%N/A49%
Male 37%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Computer lab

Arts & music

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Performing arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:55 pm
  • Christopher Lalley
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (602) 978-2764

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Performing arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights