Arizona Academy Of Science And Technology

Charter | K-8 | 110 students

We are best known for Science program.

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted April 22, 2014

This school year has been the worst school year I have ever experienced My child has been going to this school for a little over 2 year I transfered my child to this school for smaller class size and more one on one My child has learned a lot but this school year we have new staff and new principal There is very little communication between the staff parents and students Teachers have degrees but no child development education as well as the principal The principal is not personalable doesnt communicate very well with parents or students This year I dont feel like my child has learned very much and this is why my child will not be attending next school year They are focused more on discipline than studies please dont get me wrong children do need to be disciplined but for every little thing is uncalled for There is no structure in there curriculum or in the class classes are mixed grades with to many students to a class/teacher This school doesnt have a lot to offer kids theres no sports art music computers or any other extra curricular activities for students to get involved with.

Posted December 10, 2013

I would have to say so far being new to this school, I don't really feel the teacher/student ratio is giving children the opportunity to learn as much as they could if the classes were smaller. The mixing of the grades in a classes I think are by far taking away from what a charter school is suppose to be. Its confusing to the students who are trying to learn at their grade level already and being mixed with another grade level is not a very good idea I think. The reason I switched my child's school in the first place was for one is thinking this school that was suppose to have smaller classes which led me to think they would have more undivided interaction with the teachers which I thought was great at the time. The teachers are very nice yes, but their passion for helping a child individually is purely impossible because of the numerous amount of children in the same class that also need help. To me this sounds very discerning because my child is being penalized from learning to the best of his ability. I think this school could improve if the classes were split back by grade level only and smaller classrooms again.

Posted December 5, 2013

I read a previous review about how great the science was in this school. how is that possible???? there is little science going on here. the review mentioned microscopes in the 2nd grade classroom. there is nothing of the sort. there are very few supplies of any kind & the kids are not well behaved. I would never send a child here. I am a scientist & this is not science education. I will send my child & my tax money elsewhere.

Posted March 28, 2012

Arizona Science Academy has made it easier for my child to learn with mulitiple techniques! My child has gained a loy of confidence in her learning. It makes sense to her now. Thank you for everything you've done for us.

Posted February 27, 2012

I already commented below, but I also want to make a quick comment on the science program. My husband and I are working scientists and inventors and have multiple science degrees. We think the science prep here is top notch. Referring to 12/7 review, just because a class is full of computers and science text books, means nothing in regards to a science program. This school has a working organic garden, a kinder with fish, hamsters, and hermit crabs, a second grade with very good microscopes, a math teacher that uses real world examples and mixed media to immerse the kids in math in many new ways, etc. Science is woven into every grade in a very hands on way - the way it should be learned, especially in K - 8 when kids are very concrete learners. 12/7 reviewer, are you a scientist? I doubt it. If you were, you would be more concerned about hands on inquiry based experience than some outdated textbook approach. Silicon Valley execs are proponents of actually keeping computers OUT of the classroom and love Montesorri/ Waldorf style ed so children can learn to really think critically and build. 1/17 reviewer - I think the Kinder science prep is great and the library is a block away.

Posted January 17, 2012

"we are known for our SCIENCE PROGRAM"........hmm, there is NO Science Program. School is always short staffed and parents are the volunteer tutors. There was also a big fundraising for a New Playground and the students worked really hard to come up with funds and they were told there was not enough money to buy the playground. Instead they remodeled the whole front office with NEW Equipment, platnum tv etc. Curriculum is under average with an overwhelmed/unorganized teacher with only 12 students. Website for the school is outdated since 2yrs ago. No Library for the entire student body, old books are donated by parents.

Posted January 4, 2012

I am fairly satisfied with the teaching staff's ability to instruct (some more than others), but the "new" administration is SEVERELY lacking! I am not so worried about the Principal or the lack of text books used in the classroom, as I have other children in charter schools and they have the same routine, but the quality of education is FAR superior! Mr. Flannigan is doing the best he can with what the nearly non-existent Board and Administration gives him to work with, (we don't even know their qualifications/backgrounds)..I find it interesting that the school for Science and Technology doesn't even have a "good" website. We have been hearing about the "new website" coming since mid- summer, but even I know that it takes a matter of days to put together a cohesive website, not months or semesters! The emphasis in science and technology is missing altogether as can be seen from their lack luster Science Night and barely there "Computer lab". I was drawn to this school because of the small size (both school and classroom), but overall I would tend to agree with the Dec 7th review! Sad fact, but true! I had such high hopes and now I'm searching for a new school, AGAIN!

Posted December 7, 2011

This school is horrible, unprofessional staff, not up to date, no textbooks used in the classroom - worksheets only. The name leaves you to believe there is an emphasis on science but it is not, no computers or computer labs and barely enough staff, would not recommend. The comments left below mine are being left by staff members, please look elsewhere for your child's sake. The "2" score is correct and their state level score is also well below the average also.

Posted November 23, 2011

This is our first year at this school and so far the experience has been a good one. There are pros and cons to every school out there however, this school is far better and more personal than a public school by far. Small class size make the teacher and student develop that personal relationship that has been lost in the public school arena. So far, it's a good fit as far as my child is concerned.

Posted November 18, 2011

I think the thing that stands out most to me is the intimacy of the environment. Because the school is relatively smaller than most public schools, I find that all of the staff members know my child s name. This is one of the most important things to me. For me to know that the staff knows my child even though they are teachers from other grades or administrators, it is priceless. This gives me comfort to know that my child is being acknowledged and looked after as an individual child, not just a number in a mass of nameless students. Besides that, I can tell that her teachers really care about the curriculum they re administering and the children they re educating. Please believe, I am very discriminating when comes to the rigor of my child s education. She came from a Catholic school that was very rigorous and strict. This school gives her the rigor while allowing her to express her individuality that, I believe, the Catholic school was stifling. If the staff stays the same, she will be going back next year.

Posted September 28, 2011

I heard directly from the teachers (of whom I know most) that the school has dramatically changed for the better over the last year since Grant Creech and Vaughn Flanagan replaced the old guard. You can safely ignore any comments made before 2010. Everyone I know that works there has a sincere vested interest in the welfare of the kids and the school as an organization. The children there are good, well behaved kids. No swearing, no rough play, no bullying and I hear them say please and thank you all the time. The teachers smile and give personal attention to their students. I see many of the teachers work long past 6:00pm for weekly events put on for family nights. These teachers dress professionally. They refer to themselves and to parents as Mr. and Ms. LASTNAME, which I find refreshing. The second grade class has eight expensive industrial microscopes. There is a computer lab with perhaps 20 computers. The kids are growing different plants in their own garden. The school is very interested in exploring different techniques for teaching and creating the next generation of scientists and engineers, which is very scientific in itself. I ve met many of the parents too all nice.

Posted September 29, 2009

If you are looking for a great education and life learning skills for your child, look no more. As a parent whose child has graduated from here with honors, I am proud to say this is the school my daughter went to and loved. Thank you to the great educators that taught her . Ms. Miller and Dr. Rollins, keep up the fantastic work!! With much respect to all of you! Ms. C.J. Hall

Posted October 31, 2008

I find it interesting that each negative comment is followed up by a positive one. My child's first year at AAS was indeed a positive one, however, the school lost several wonderful teachers and at that point the whole dynamics of the school changed. I was no longer able to chat with my child's teacher about my child without first making an appointment. I was very disappointed with the lack of an open door policy that is available in so many other schools, what are they hiding? There are many schools downtown to choose from, I found one for my child and it is a performing plus school too. As parents, the best thing we can do is to listen to our children when they talk about what goes on in the classroom.

Posted October 27, 2008

I believe this school is excellent. I work in the Downtown District for the State of Arizona and I find that this school is performing above and beyond. My children love the school location and the education provided by Arizona Academy of Science. My all my children are performing above average and I enjoy the teacher/parent communication. I have recommended a few of my friends, family and co-workers to this school, and they all love it.

Posted September 16, 2008

This school really has been progressing over the last few years. Both my children go to this school and I am amazed at the knowledge and the personal attention that all students receive. If they need additional attention whether it is for academics or that the kids need nuturing to bring out their talents, the teachers and the staff are attentive to their needs. If you are looking for a school that allows your child to think out of the box and focus on their talents this is the place to send them. I personally enjoy the location, though I could send my children to any school closer to home, but the security and the feel of an old school atmosphere make the difference here. My oldest will be going to this school since he wants to go straight into the BioScience high school and this is the most logical choice

Posted September 16, 2008

Several of my children attended this school last year and now that they are enrolled in another school, what the Arizona Academy lacks is glaringly obvious. The classrooms are very dirty, the walls are filthy and the books my children brought home were rejects from other districts; One dates to 1975! The principal is never available after school and she does not take bullying issues seriously. I want other parents to know that they can have good teachers and a nice campus elsewhere--they should keep looking!

Posted July 23, 2008

AAST was a life-saver for my son. The smaller class sizes allowed the teachers to give more personal attention, and he had a great year. The higher academic standards were a welcome challenge to all three of my children enrolled here.

Posted June 16, 2008

The school's name implies that there is a heavy emphasis on science and technology yet the school lacks a science lab and doesn't have a computer teacher nor computers in the classroom. I do not recommend this school.

Posted October 10, 2007

I am very pleased with the academic programs providsd the AAA of Science. My daughter enjoys the extracurricular activities, P.E, ART, trips to the library. This is my daughters 3rd year at AAA of Science, and during that time there has been a very good amount of parent involvement and fun events for me to attend and take part of with my daughter. I have been quite pleased with AAA of science since moving to the valley,and my daughter will continue to attend AAA of science. The level of her academic acheivements have been very pleasing, and I support the school and will continue to do so.

Posted October 2, 2007

This is extremely concerning that all of the parents that I have spoken to are considering taking their kids to another school. We are also looking into moving our child out of this school due to the issue that the owners wife is coming between the parents and the teachers, there is absolutely no communication between the two. She is not listed in any capacity in the school and they have taken her name off of the site. The teachers are out of the class as soon as the children are. If a parent attempts to talk to the teacher they have to have a meeting with her involved. This school is just getting worse as the year goes along. A teacher that has transferred there states there is no faculty meetings, no updates and no comradery between the teachers. Not a very conducive learning environment at all.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Underperforming".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A47%
Female 50%N/A49%
Male 50%N/A51%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Latin

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Grant Creech
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone

• Technology
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

School culture