Bad
Good

Norterra Canyon K-8 1

Posted November 18, 2015
This is the worst year ever at this school. We have been here 6 years. The new principal is not a great fit. Teachers are unhappy and are leaving. We are short staff including math teacher and recess monitors. Our son receives 35 minutes a day of math instruction due to lack of staff and no one cares. Teachers are going to leave and parents are searching other schools for next year. Do yourself a favor and look at open enrollment at other schools in the area.. The mood on campus is depressing and the students can feel it. No parent input considered or cared for with administration.

Norterra Canyon K-8 2

Posted November 03, 2014
This is our first year at this school (just relocated to the area) and I hate to say that I feel my child is not learning a thing. The teachers do not communicate well and seem very worn out and tired of teaching. The mood on campus seems depressing and I will be looking for another option. Administration is lacking on communication as well. Not very inviting.

Posted June 30, 2014
Wonderful school! Very involved parents and caring teachers/staff. Couldn't be happier about the school and the education!

Posted March 04, 2014
I have 3 kids that go to Norterra Canyon and we love this school! The administration, teachers and staff are wonderful and inviting. The school spirit is fantastic and parents are welcome and encouraged to attend all events. I can't say enough good things about the teachers at Norterra Canyon.

Posted August 21, 2013
Norterra Canyon has an excellent and involved principal and assistant principal who both care deeply about children and learning. The teachers are friendly and are highly skilled. There is a school garden and tortoise habitat that the kids enjoy. This school has a fantastic PTSA. Smart boards are in every classroom. When given an option to move schools my son was adamant that he wanted to stay at Norterra because the teachers care there.

Norterra Canyon K-8 1

Posted August 02, 2013
This school is in a great community, but the administration leaves much to be desired! The school is beautiful as far as maintenance goes. The teachers that I have had experience with at this school all seem unhappy and generally difficult to communicate with. I don't feel as though the principle really cares for the well being of my child but rather about the politics of her job. For example, my child had a really rough year (along with the majority of her fellow students) last year and I was advised by another few parents to request a specific teacher for the following year. These parents had made the same request and been granted their choice of teacher, I was told "this school does not accept requests for teachers." Now, if this was in fact true, I would understand, but I know it is inconsistent with what other parents have experienced. No child should be afraid to go to school in first grade! Mine was, and my intention was to try and "reset" his year. My concern with this school is the poor communication between the administration and parents and I know a lot of the other parents feel the same way. It is unfortunate because it is a beautiful school with much potential.

Posted February 25, 2013
this school is very good and clean school, am very happy with staff. they have a great system to update parents with all the school news. i have the kids at norterra for 3 years

Norterra Canyon K-8 2

Posted August 28, 2012
Not a great experience at all. Maybe we just got unlucky- but am certainly not happy with my 1st grader's teacher. I expect the teacher to be nurturing, kind and patient when dealing with elementary school kids. The teacher here gets irritated very easily, admonishes the children on a regular basis and in the words of my little on- "extremely mean". When I asked my daughter what she thought about the school she said " Though my teacher is not very nice the kids are good." I will be moving her out the first opportunity I get.

Posted December 02, 2011
I highly recommend this school 10/10. I read a review from a parent and cannot disagree more with what they had to say. This is a great school!!! It starts at the top with a Principal and Vise- Principal who have demonstrated nothing but class since the day my kids started school, 4 years ago. We have been lucky to have our kids love everyone of their teachers and the front office has always done more than expected when I asked for something. Given the choice of attending a different school, private or charter, my kids will stay at Norterra Canyon.

Posted September 15, 2011
I have two boys that attend Norterra Canyon. Last year was our first year at Norterra Canyon. My youngest went to Kindergarten and my oldest went into 3rd grade. We moved from another district and I am so glad we did!!! The office , Principal, Vice Principal and teachers are amazing!!!! The front office is always patient and kind, if you drop off or pick up your child(ren) you will see the Principal and Vice Principal out with the kids, The teachers are enthusiastic and caring. The school does a few family fun nights and it just proves how involved and caring the school is for their students. We are so happy to be part of the Norterra Canyon family. Go Priates!!!!

Norterra Canyon K-8
2200 W. Maya Way, Phoenix, AZ  85085
Last modified Norterra Canyon K-8 is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.