Madison Richard Simis School

Public | PK-4 | 991 students

We are best known for academic excellence.

School Official Point of View

Posted June 9, 2011

Madison Simis is a wonderful school with a long heritage of excellence. Parents are involved, teachers are caring and hard-working, students are eager to learn. It is nurtured by an enlightened Phoenix community and enjoys a beautiful setting. We take pride in all that we have accomplished and are ever in a mode of continuous improvement. Thank you for your continued interest in Simis, and for your support.

Posted March 27, 2006

This is an overated school but for Aizona's poor standards it is adequate.

Posted March 8, 2006

My daughter's experience at Madison Simis has been great. It is a larger school, however, the teachers negate that big school feeling with their caring attitudes and fantastic knowledge. There is a large % of the population who appear to get dropped off at school by their parents vs. walking or riding the bus which tends to make it a little hectic during a.m. and p.m. dropoff/pickup time, but that is seriously my largest complaint. They are currently deciding whether to implement a 'school within a school' program there, so if you prefer non-traditional learning styles you may want to stay tuned for the outcome of this proposal.

Posted March 2, 2006

My child currently attends this schhol and although I have been happy with it this year, I will be looking for another school. The decision to change an already excelling school to a 'traditional' model baffles me, and reeks of trying to attract affluent families. We don't need more rich, white kids at the school, we need quality teachers and a curriculum that encourages kids to think for themselves and enjoy learning. It's really sad what is happening to this school. The fact that the 'traditional' method has been snuck in, with only one parent meeting, is disturbing. This drastic change in curriculum requires dialogue between parents and the schhol. I will be searching for a schhol that values, and welcomes, that dialogue

Posted February 27, 2006

I disagree strongly with the complaints about Dr. Flowers. We've met with her several times, and find her to be not only genuine, but genuinely helpful. Our biggest problem has been not with the principal, but with the rigidity of the curriculum. And beware, it could get worse: the school board is planning to convert Simis to a 'traditional' (i.e., 1950's-style teaching and discipline) school, and is ignoring objections of a large majority of parents. Very secretive, very arrogant.

Posted February 20, 2006

Above average acedemic programs, good teachers, excellent art and especially music programs and Music teacher all coupled with high parental involvment.

Posted February 6, 2006

We are so disgusted with the new principal at Simis. I totally understand the saying, becareful what you wish for! We thought we didn't like the former principal, but she was a gem compared to what is principal now! Dr. Flowers is a fake! She acts very sweet and pretends that she cares what you think but that is not the fact. My husband and I tried to discuss a problem with our student and she just didn't care what we had to say. We have never been so put off before. We are hoping to get into a different school next year. If you are smart, as long as Dr. Flowers is principal, you will look elsewhere as well.

Posted January 10, 2006

Our child began the pre-K program in November. My first impression was that of a lack of organization. Our child seems very happy there, though, and I hope our future experiences are good ones.

Posted January 9, 2006

Yes the parent involvement is nice but the whole tune of the school starts with the administration and front office staff. They are rude and not helpful. Considering the number of children with special needs in society today this school needs to become better educated and equiped to help children with challenges succeed.A large number of students in all of my childrens classes (K, 2& 4) are there on a variance. I think this is a negative thing. There was such hope for the new principal and it turns out she is way worse than the one we had before. People think this is such a great school until their children go there. The education system in AZ is terrible and Simis is a perfect example of that.

Posted November 28, 2005

My son attended Simis for his Kindergarden year. He made fast friends and the all the teachers were very kind. I could tell he was very comfortable and I was impressed with how much they learn in that first year.

Posted November 27, 2005

The parent involvement is great here. It makes all the difference in the kids attitudes. They seem really happy and excited about learning.

Posted September 23, 2005

My daughter started kindergarten this year and I was pleased to find that parent participation is highly encouraged. You may meet with your child in the cafeteria and have lunch with them if you wish! Parents are well informed of what's going on by a weekly newsletter. Only after a month of school, my daughter has become very interested in reading and writing. The teachers there are well educated and use proven methods for learning. I am very impressed!

Posted September 7, 2005

Awesome! Great quality, extracurricular, parents!

Posted August 31, 2005

I have two children currently attending Madison Simis one in K and one in 4. The academic programs seem to be very strong. My fourth grader has done very well academically and loves the AEP program. The parent involvement is very high and quite a lot of money from PATS supports solid programs. I do wish we could incorporate individual music instruments for the students to take home and study. The music teacher is very good and does the best he can with the budget. My main concern about Simis is the high teacher turnover. Hopefully, the new principle will put an end to it. It would also be helpful if the administration could keep parents better informed about academic programs that are being phased out. Many times those of us that are directly affected are the last to know and often without any input from us.

Posted August 17, 2005

I was a preschool teacher there for 3 years. I loved the parent support and involvement. I was impressed with how well run the school was and the level of experience the teachers had. It is a great school!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 12, 2005

We live outside the Simis area and are greatful that our daughter is able to attend Simis. Our total experience has been great. My daughter loves school and I believe that is due to the love and dedication of Mrs. Tancos as well as Ms. McNeill. I'm sorry to see that Ms. McNeill is gone and I hope the new administration is as friendly and caring. I would recommend Simis to anyone who asks. Keep up the good work.

Posted August 7, 2005

My son attended kindergarten and 1st grade at Simis and we were pleased in every way with his education. He learned alot for just beginning school and he had fun doing it too. Parents were very involved and I think this had a very positive impact.

Posted July 14, 2005

This school is currently undergoing a big transformation. Hopefully the new principal will be a better leader than the last one was. They have been hiring some 'not so good' teachers as of late. My daughter had a terrible experience this past school year (2004-2005) in 3rd grade. They also don't like having children with special needs, and don't have an accepting climate, unfortunately. What is this teaching our children? It's not all bad...the master teacher's there are excellent, so if you can get a very experienced teacher, they get a great education.

Posted July 14, 2005

I enrolled my children in Simis in January 2005 and so far I am not that impressed. I had two teachers that were average at best. Most of the teachers complain that they do not have a curriculum to teach, thus leading to a high teacher turn over. The test scores are high because the demographics are upper class. Most of the parents I have spoken with are sending their children to private tudoring for reading and math. The method of math taught at Simis is horrible. It confused my daughter who was in the gifted program at her last school (a excellent private school). The principal never left her office, and when we first enrolled in the school nobody bothered to show us around, they just gave us a map and let us go on our own. We are reconsidering re-enrolling our children into private school.

Posted July 14, 2005

My child loves going to school. Mrs. Luckey, Mrs. Tancos and Mrs. Comstock have been the best teachers in the world. Not only do they know what they are doing, they teach in a way my child is a successful learner. I wish I had more children to send to Simis because of these teachers.

Posted July 13, 2005

I liked Madison Simis because the teachers were interested in exploring new ideas of how to teach the small kids, not just the same old thing every day. The only negative thing I have to say is that the teachers didn't always coordinate activities with the parents in the best way.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

212 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

212 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Gardening Award for DIGGS (2007)
  • Excelling School (2010)
  • Odyssey of the Mind, City, State, World contestants (2011)

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Emotional behavioral disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Clubs

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Dr. Joyce Flowers
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Painting
Performing arts
  • Creative writing

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • *pats, parent organization strongly involved *art masterpiece *cover story publishing center *site based management team