Public charter
Prescott, AZ

Posted May 11, 2014
Skyview has been excellent for our daughter, who will begin 5th grade in the fall. She started Skyview in kindergarten. Our son just completed kindergarten. He turned 5 in May and initially we were concerned he might be too young, socially, for starting school. I believe a lot of boys do better by being closer to age 6 when starting kindergarten. But our son had learned so much in preschool that his preschool teachers said he'd be bored spending one more year there. The very small class size with one teacher and an aide are a huge plus. Our son did have some adjustment issues and his teacher kept us informed and offered ways to help him succeed. I have always found his teacher to be easy to reach and available to speak to at any time. Same with my daughters teachers. Yes, I know of a couple of boys who started kindergarten and then left after a short time. I was having lunch with my son one day when one boy choked another in front of me. This same child had punched my son just days earlier. This child did end up leaving. Perhaps he was not ready for kindergarten. My husband and I are very happy with the education our children are getting at Skyview.

Posted March 29, 2014
My first hint that something was amiss is that shortly before school started, we caught wind that both kindergarten teachers had left. His teacher seemed stiff and unable to take charge of her room. Adjustment to the long days was hard on most of the kids.My son missed the 4th day of school because he got sick.8th day of school we witnessed an aide pull him up off the ground by his arms until he stood(he would lay flat on the ground when he felt overwhelmed). We met with the director to express our concerns with, what we considered, man handling of our child. Day 9 at meeting with director and teacher.They told us they thought our son showed signs of Autism and should be in preschool.I asked, Are you asking us to leave? The director said, We can t force you to leave. They offered no plan to help our son and no testing to prove or disprove their Autism theory. They just wanted our son to leave on day 9. They had no time to get to know our child and they had no interest in our thoughts as his parents. Our son was never their priority. To date, at least 8 children have been removed by their families, from their kindergarten program this school year.

Posted March 03, 2014
The "Skyview School" the reputation is built on, is no longer here. The great, great person noted as Janet below established this school with a group of other great people (parents). After 17 years they were extricated from this school so that someone who does not have the skills (qualifications) could benefit from their legacy. There are some good teachers here, although the rampant nepotism used in hiring practices has made as much as 50% of the staff related in some form, either by marriage, siblings or friendship (same names optional). When the thought of family school is mentioned it means them, not your kid, or you, the parent. The original great entity and idea of an "gifted program" no longer exists. Everything goes through cycles, this one has reached its end.

Posted July 18, 2013
Skyview is an excellent small school! This school cares for the students and families alike. The principle, Scott is amazing and runs the school calmly and in an organized fashion. The things I would change would be the outdoor eating area. It needs to have an option of closing it in during cold winter months.

Skyview School 3

Posted May 06, 2013
The best thing about Skyview school is that they truly seem to care about the kids (to the best of their ability) and do no allow bullying. It is a good school for the ones who are adept at getting attention. If a child is quiet and non-aggressive they are likely to fall through the cracks in terms of getting the attention needed to learn what is taught on a daily basis. There is a big focus on art (which is great and necessary) however the staff (including some of the teachers) are role models for disrespectful behavior and ingratitude towards those who are not staff. Skyview is not a friendly place. It is a great school for "entitled" people with little or no sensitivity for those outside their group. Though the curriculum tries to be "inclusive" the energy of the school is not. It is difficult to be sensitive to the needs of others if they do not see others. Nevetheless, I do believe everyone there is doing the best they can. Not a terrible school and not a great one. An average school for average people who want to feel comfortable.

Posted March 25, 2013
My background: Both of my parents were teachers. We picked Skyview school because we thought it had the best kindergarten teachers based on our visits to the area schools. Ms. Janet was our daughter's kindergarten teacher. She was wonderful: experienced and loving. I volunteered occasionally and saw her interactions with the kids. As a charter school, it attracts teachers who want more ability to have a classroom that has creativity that is not restricted by the rules and regulations at public schools. We found the other kids to come from families where the parents care about their kids' education. Reading programs are excellent, math programs could be more challenging. The homework is less than what typical public schools give out. This is a Monday through Thursday school.

Posted August 07, 2012
Don't pick Ms Janet for your Kindergarten child unless child can sit still with his/her hands in lap for 15 mins intervals. Teacher is strict, organized, and unwavering. She wants only robot children in her class and will ask student to find new school if child doesn't fit her mold.

Posted February 25, 2012
waste of time and money..unless your child is a genius they will fall behind from attending when they leave to go to another better more structured setting...a joke school well past its prime

Posted February 10, 2011
It's an excellent school! The school thrives because they have an incredible group of teachers and administrators devoted to their profession (2010-2011). I have traveled the country and visited many schools and I am truly amazed how Skyview School uses the multiple intelligences, project based curriculum, fieldtrips, and the arts to create a school environment where kids thrive academically and are becoming informed and productive citizens of the world. Their arts program is outstanding, the math program is top notch, and the celebrations are jaw dropping. They also focus so much on respect. I love how children from different grades are partnered together to build community. Not only that, parents are expected to be involved, which is unique in the area. It is truly a gem and I recommend it to all parents seeking a school where their child will love to learn and where you will feel welcomed to be involved. It's rare and I love it.

Posted January 16, 2011
Skyview school lacks a very important component for partnering with parents - communication. Administration and teacher communication lacked openness and follow-through. We were very disappointed in our experience there.

Skyview School
125 S. Rush Street, Prescott, AZ  86303
Last modified Skyview School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Skyview School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top