731 students|Basis School Inc.

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Overall, the teachers range from good to outstanding. The ones who aren't in that category don't last very long.

Supports LD students: Agree

BASIS offers a lot of resources for students who need academic support. It is a rigorous program and may not be the best fit for every child.

Effective school leaders: Agree

The Leadership is new this year. There have been growing pains due to the expansion. It is impossible to make every parent happy.

Develops character: Strongly agree

My child was rewarded for his integrity and always choosing to do the right thing. He was given an "Outstanding Student" award. Although the focus is on academics, just attending this school, helps students naturally develop positive character traits.

BASIS Scottsdale has helped my children blossom into responsible, reliable, and autonomous students. Most importantly, they are unbelievably happy. My kids LOVE the school so much they say they couldn't imagine going anywhere else. The education is unbeatable too. We feel extremely blessed to have this school available in Arizona!

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

There is very little bullying at this school. Almost every child is accepted for "who they are". There is such a wide variety of cultural, racial and religious backgrounds, that it's okay to be different.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

The leadership at BASIS is inflexible and has an "it's our way or the highway" leadership style. Not collaborative, not community-building, just dictatorial.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

ZERO attention to character development, compassion, integrity, respect. These things cannot be tested on an AP exam, thus they are not taught or recognized as important by BASIS.

I have mixed feelings about BASIS. I've had two children attend for 2 and 3 years, respectively. The good: My kids have exceptional study skills that will take them through college; peer 'competition' to perform well academically (rise up!); and I was 0% involved in homework. Parents don't have access to grades because BASIS wants students to be empowered over their academic success/failure without parents micromanaging/helicoptering. Teachers have daily after-school hours to work with students; parents should not be helping with homework very much/at all! The bad: We left BASIS. With both kids excelling academically. I needed my kids to have a childhood. A well-rounded academically rigorous experience can STILL include sports and time with friends. Space and time to be occasionally bored! There is plenty of time to be stressed out as an adult, and I found myself wondering, "Why crazy acceleration at the expense of everything else?" My gifted child ever had time to explore academic interests deeply because she was rushed so quickly through prescribed AP curriculum (when you can't even use those AP credits unless you go to a state school). No time to consider how to 'be in the world', be a kid/teen, digest, think, ponder, or develop interpersonal skills (this is a big negative in my opinion). There is just no time for anything else when you're at BASIS.

My daughter and I recently visited 7 Ivy League Universities during Fall break and I am grateful and beyond happy we chose BASIS. Every admissions officer we met were very familiar with BASIS and had favorable comments about BASIS. At each university, she met BASIS alumni to discuss their personal experience at college. All of them said how easy college is because BASIS prepared them for the rigors of college. BASIS is the acronym for Building Academic Success in Students and that is what they've done for my daughter as well as thousands of other students. I give 100% credit to BASIS teachers and staff for their outstanding work and dedication to each and every student. This program works for those WILLING TO WORK HARD. For all those parents who complained about the rigorous program and excessive workload at BASIS I say "what's wrong with hard work? " Raise the bar for your kids and watch them achieve great things at BASIS and beyond.

Last modified BASIS Scottsdale is a Charter school that serves grades 4-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.