No rating

Rancho Solano Preparatory School - Greenway Campus

Private | PK-5 | 462 students

RS is best known for our rigorous academics and strong sense of community.

Living in Scottsdale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $245,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,040.

Posted February 3, 2014

I can't say enough good things about Rancho Solano! I am shocked at some of the negative reviews. Most of these are in regard to the other campuses, which do not relate to Greenway. My children LOVE Rancho Solano! The academics are extremely challenging, but that's exactly what we wanted in a school. I always receive great communication from the administration and teachers, and I think the principal is amazing! The school not only focuses on academics, but on being a good person. The children here are smart, polite, and well-behaved. Some previous comments mentioned kids falling behind or having behavioral problems. The bottom line is that Rancho Solano is not for everyone. If your child is struggling in school, get some tutoring. If your child is ill-mannered and disruptive, Rancho Solano will not tolerate it, but I think that is a positive thing. If you don't like the price of tuition, check out one of the many charter schools in Scottsdale. If you are looking for an excellent private school for your child to learn, grow, and excel, then Rancho Solano is the place to be!

Posted January 26, 2014

Believe it or not, I actually would have given this school 5 stars but, I just received my re-enrollment paperwork and I am shocked. Not only has tuition once again increased even after closing 2 campuses, but they are now dismissing students on Fridays at 1:00pm for "professional development". They boost about how they attract the best teachers etc., but yet they are the only institution that I know of that takes this amount of time off toward "development". The amount of money paid compared to the actual class instruction is honestly criminal at this point. It's a shame as my children have loved attending Rancho and I as a parent have loved being part of this community. But at some point, enough is enough. Clearly, MERITAS investment in their Ventura campus is causing some financial concern which is now trickling down to the families with the inflated tuition. You will see many families departing after this year sadly.

Posted January 11, 2014

We have been at Hillcrest for many years and it was truly exceptional. However, with their new Ventura campus up, it seems the Ventura campus is absorbing most of the capital and operating budget. They shockingly, without notice announced they will close Hillcrest and Gilbert next year and bus the children to Greenway, with older and smaller facilities. The "cafeteria" is a tarp-covered tent over a ramada area. I would expect class sizes to go up there as well. Most of the teachers at Hillcrest are brushing up their resumes to find other positions, and my guess is the influx of children to Greenway would only dilute the teachers there.

Posted January 11, 2014

I would be very careful when dealing with Rancho and more importantly Meritas. My 2 children have been at Rancho for 7+ years. Meritas has decided to close the West Side campus to focus resources on East Side Schools. While I do not like the decision I understand and accept the fact it is Meritas's decision. The reason I gave such a low rating was the timing and preparation for the way the closure is being communicated. It became very clear the higher level organization really does not care about the impact the families and children that have been attending their schools. We have been extremely satisfied with the education and development of our children, but i would never do business again with this organization due to lack of preparation and complete unprofessionalism by the leadership. Be careful with this organization because they may surprise you with decisions that have a major impact on your entire family.

Posted January 10, 2014

My children attended Rancho for 11 years. When the original owners had the school it was truly AMAZING. The education and values that the school had was what made it great. Now, well completely different story. Consider this school a VERY EXPENSIVE public school. Not only was I a parent I was also an employee. This school is only about the MONEY don't be fooled they have mastered the art of lying. Very sad to see what has happened to a once great school.

Posted January 7, 2014

I would be cautious to recommend. We attended the Gilbert Rancho Solano for 5 years and had excellent experiences until the parent company, Meritas, elected to close the Gilbert campus to build a "super campus" at Greenway. The school intends to try to grow its Scottsdale base by 40% to financially support its investment in the Ventura campus (spent over $30M in 2013/2013). They appear to be having financial trouble over the past four years closing 3 campuses now to support their investment. The closure of our campus was done the first of the year after many other schools had started enrollment and we were left paying high tuition yet knowing that their excellent teachers would be offered no financial incentive to stay and support the students. Financial decisions appear to overrule when faced with a choice between those paying tuition/being educated vs. the bottom line. Sad to see this progression. The Gilbert staff was amazing, my son loved the school, but students are not the top priority - national rankings and financials are.

Posted September 28, 2013

We had just moved to the area and heard good things about Rancho Solano. Our son was entering the 5th Grade and was ready for a challenge. The school had assured us that he was ready and would be supported through the transition. Then, as school started, we were told that math would be moved up from a Saxon 6-7 to a Saxon 7-8. Our son was about to skip 2 years of math fundamentals. The Rancho advice to our son, pull yourself by the bootstraps and improve your attitude! They never offered or provided homework assistance or tutoring. When our son started becoming frustrated, they decided to just write him up in a callous calculation to expel him for behavior and keep ALL of the full year tuition (almost $14K!). They shattered our son s confidence and self-esteem, criticizing him constantly, after a month we were forced to pull him out to prevent further damage. A word of caution; Rancho Solano wants nothing more than good willing parents to buy into the false illusion that they are a great preparatory school. In reality, they are giving children 2 hours of homework for every 45 minutes of math instruction, putting the entire burden on the children and the paying parents.

Posted September 5, 2013

I used to teach at this school. All I can say is I am glad I left. The principal at the time was an unqualified bully. She is now at another campus but still with Rancho Solano. Then, the school nurse was promoted to principal. I guess being able to diagnose an illness qualified her for that position. I have been an educator for over 25 years and have never worked at such a poorly run school. I would never recommend this school to anyone. It is a complete waste of money. Look beyond the beautifully manicured landscape because that is the only nice thing about this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 7, 2013

This school turned my son completely around. The Principal and teachers are caring and nurturing, the academics challenging, and the Rancho 5 at the forefront of all they do. There is no other school I would send my children to. I would recommend this school to anyone who knows education and cares about their child's future.

Posted June 27, 2013

Our child attended the Greenway campus along with another Rancho Solano campus. The comparison between the two campuses are night and day. The family atmosphere does NOT exist at Greenway. Our family does sorely miss the other campus enviroment. All the children AND parents knew each other. The Greenway campus is more involved with the holiday parties than informing the parents of any learning issues. We received emails almost daily regarding parties than we did regarding our children's class progress. I think the priorities of this campus need to be reviewed. Class progress takes presedent over who is going to bring snacks for the class party. We will be looking for another school (NOT a Rancho Solano campus) based on this past school year. Rancho just isn't what it used to be. Too bad. It used to be a GREAT school at one time.

Posted June 12, 2013

I am very confused because a friend just wrote a review and I read it. She didn't mention any names but said that the principal of Rancho Solano Greenway is a nurse and she does not have an educational background. She gave the school one star. I saw the post for about a minute and it was paraphrased and changed and given 5 stars?? Who does that? Is this site rigged?

Posted May 28, 2013

We have been at Rancho for the last 3 years and we are extremely happy with both the academic curriculum and the character building. Rancho is a nurturing learning environment. The students are hardworking and polite. The teachers are fantastic!! The teachers are helpful, responsive, and truly care about the success of each student. We cannot say enough good things about Rancho. We have been to other schools, both public and private. We have not been to a charter school, which appears to be a glorified public school. If you want your child in an academically challenging school that incorporates critical thinking, writing, numeracy and also teaches students to be respectful, considerate, kind, and contributing member of society then Rancho is for you. If you re looking for something else, there are many other options in the Valley. I do agree with the comment that many of the complainers are the old-timers who resist change. However, we have seen and experienced the changes and they have all been for the better.

Posted May 8, 2013

I can't say enough about this school and am happy my children go here. I don't think that I need to know everything that happens behind the scenes and feel that I get adequate information from the administration regarding what I NEED to be informed on. I've found the staff friendly and willing to help when I've had a need. I have found the quality of the teachers is good although I can only comment up to the 1st grade currently. I will say that some of the work seems to be more geared towards the parent than the child, which can be frustrating.

Posted April 11, 2013

We are giving up after 3 years. The administration is just bad as bad can be. Its all about money now and push kids to crazy limits. The problem is that the parents are being pushed as much as the kids. If you have to work and make money to pay for this school, you wont have time to do anything else with your kids as you will be required to do all kinds of projects that are project for parents, not the children as they are too young to do them themselves. Tuition keeps rising, the enrollment fees are just a huge nonsense. I am not signing up contract this year for sure. Run and Run don't get sucked in. Once you sing the contract they will go after you last penny. A lot of parents are leaving this year. I hope the school will get the message.

Posted April 5, 2013

Rancho Solano has greatly declined in the past four years. The family atmosphere that teachers, students, and parents loved about the school is gone. The company that bought Rancho imposes very strict guidelines for teachers to follow which has dummied down the curriculum drastically. The teachers are not given the freedom to push and accelerate students anymore. It is true, the company does look at the bottom line...money. Any person who can pay is now admitted. I used to be proud to say I was part of the Rancho Solano family, but no more. I definitely agree that Rancho is in a downward spiral and the level of education has significantly lowered!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 3, 2013

I disagree with the person who said all the good teachers have left and the kids are miserable. 9 out of our 10 teachers here are fabulous; very supportive, challenging and caring, and everytime I'm there, the kids seem to be having a great time. My kid and her friends love it here and everytime I playfully suggest different options for Middle School, they all say "No way. We love it here and we're staying forever!" People who comment negatively seem to be old-timers who are used to the past. They should probably actually attend other schools before criticizing the new administration. We HAVE tried other schools and believe me, this one is special - yes, even with recent changes. It is such a disservice to the genuinely kind and caring teachers we have to say the comments below. If you truly desire a challenging and progressive curriculum that includes critical thinking and all kinds of other offerings such as the arts and sports, this is a great choice. After attending other private and charter schools in the Valley, we HIGHLY recommend Rancho - best academics and best all-around school.

Posted January 30, 2013

My kids have attended rancho since preschool and love it. Academics are promoted and the kids have fun with abundant music, art, spanish, and science. The kids are well behaved and the parents are encouraged to play a role on the campus. We are lucky to be here.

Posted November 5, 2012

This school is dry and lacks a true sense of self. There is no clear mission of the school and it's claim to college prep is more of a "nod". I attended a true College Prep school my whole life. Unfortunately most parents do not have the experience to tell the difference.

Posted June 25, 2012

My daughter has attended Rancho Solano, Greenway Campus since Kindergarten (she is now entering 3rd grade). Teacher/student ratio is excellent. Her math and reading skills are both at sixth grade level. I attribute much of her success to the quality of the education that she is getting at Rancho. Would highly recommend to anyone interested in their child's education.

Posted May 25, 2012

Although the teachers are outstanding, the administration couldn't be worse. My friends and I didn't know who are principal was until we took the annual survey. Our principal doesn't communicate with us and doesn't know my name. There are 50 students in the grade. The administration is afraid of some parents and won't confront them about bullying situation involving their daughter, but they don't think twice about giving us infractions on our last day of 8th grade for wearing free dress, a Rancho tradition. The 8th grade Alegbra II class had their final math test on the last day of school. I've had a straight As throughout the entire year and I was unable to finish the last age of our test because I didn't understand any of it.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 17% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Salli Mahaffy
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis