School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Hello families, Welcome to the Cheyenne page at Great Schools. I am so excited to have this opportunity to share our school with you. Please feel free to contact me or our front office staff with any questions or concerns. We currently have four homerooms at each grade level and service close to 1000 students daily. In the 2013-2014 school year we are excited to introduce the PBIS discipline model. I know that this focus on positive behaviors will be an amazing fit with student focused/teacher directed environment. I look forward to meeting all of you. :)
March 13, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted February 11, 2016
Nightly homework is part of the Traditional School concept espoused by Cheyenne. Some parents and some students disagree. If so, I respect their opinion, but your opinion is not in line with the Cheyenne Community of Teachers, Students and Parents. And without being disrespectful, Cheyenne is not for all parents and not for all students. We started this school with the understanding that we would challenge our students at all levels and force disciplined effort in to their skill sets. We are proud that our school demands a lot of work each night. We believe that teaching kids to execute nightly is part of the development of their personal skill set needed to succeed at all levels. Not all agree. But if you disagree the option is not to convince CTS to change. We won't give up that fundamental commitment to building strong kids.

Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School 5

Posted February 11, 2016
Every school in Arizona struggles with the miserly funding provided by the State. But this School does a great job of educating Scottsdale kids at a high level despite being starved for funds. Teachers are uniformly committed and for the most part very experienced. Class sizes are larger than the rest of the District because there is so much demand from parents to get this school. The discipline required to complete daily homework differs from other schools. But that difference is part of why many parents seek this school for their children. We want that discipline. We believe in homework as part of the learning of life skills needed at the next levels.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 01, 2015
After a series of changes we found a great Principal in Grace Stombres. She is a superb Administrator who not only runs our school exceptionally well, but also does an artful job of stepping through the minefields of difficult parent issues and District level politics. She has a great Asst. Principal in Mr. Akhbari who is equally committed to our schools and a great and effective disciplinarian on top of a great manager.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted December 01, 2015
With rare exceptions, Cheyenne teachers are among the best in the District. They come to Cheyenne because they believe in Traditional Education. They work extremely hard to handle significantly larger than average class sizes. Most of our teachers are veterans with a lot of time at Cheyenne. There are next to zero "washouts" or "ineffective" teachers here.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted September 30, 2015
THERE IS WAY TOO MUCH HOMEWORK IS ADMINISTERED AT THIS SCHOOL AT EVERY GRADE LEVEL.

Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School 1

Posted September 30, 2015
My son transferred in to this school after we relocated here. WORST DECISION EVER! Not only is this school about two years behind in their curriculum, the teachers rarely address your concerns, and are more consumed with form rather than correct answers. Also, the teachers are unprepared in their teaching format, the children feel rushed, do not know/understand/unclear about the homework, (of which they will have 5-6hrs PER NIGHT). I would not recommend this school.

Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School 5

Posted January 14, 2015
This is our first year at CTS, and both my 4th grader and my 5th grader are happy here. There is a fair amount of homework, but we do not find it repetitive or excessive. We transferred here from a very well respected private school, and actually had quite a bit of catching up to do when we arrived. Like any other school, it is a mix of types of parents, some of whom are friendly, and some of whom are less so. The Principal is quite accessible and engaged, and has gone out of her way to let me know about her interactions with my son on more than one occasion. One of our children really loves her teacher, although my son is less enthusiastic. I believe that is largely because she is more strict with him than he is used to, and that is probably good for him. This school does not hand hold. Parents should be prepared to help with (not do) homework, to check it and review it, and drill and practice spelling words and math. My feeling is that this is a parents obligation, and is necessary at any school. Our teachers do a good job teaching the material, and making it interesting. There are interesting and engaging science projects, and the kids seem stimulated by the classwork.

Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School 2

Posted October 02, 2014
Transfered to this school from a different district for the quality of education but for the rude teacher I just have to say is just awful...is not understanding at all does not know how to talk to a child to have them understand just expects the child of the bat know everything. ..talks to a parent like with I don't care attitude...kids are suppose to look up to a teacher who is suppose to set a good example not where a teacher puts a child down...I think they should review what kind of teacher they hire...sorry but still not satisfied with the teacher and they way he/she approaches or talks to a child so not real and very fake

Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School 3

Posted September 30, 2014
We transferred to this school since we heard that this is a great school. Everything is good except the teachers in the front office, especially one of the teacher, she is no patience to you even they know that your kid is a new transferred student. She is kind of mean. This is what I dislike about this school!!!

Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School 3

Posted September 24, 2014
Too much worthless homework. The assignments are mainly busy work such as book reports and other time consuming projects with very little value. For example, if you want to teach someone how to budget, then teach them how to prepare a budget. Easy. Takes 10 minutes to teach someone how to write a budget. But don't turn it into a 3-4 hour project that the parents end up having to complete because the kids are bombarded by other nonsensical homework. Giving a kid 50 math questions a night is ridiculous. Teach them the concept, and the trick to solving each type of math problem and then call it a day. Repetition is old-school and very ineffective. Why should a kid go to school all day and then work 4 hours at night? I didn't have to do that when I was a kid, and I am a successful professional. Please, Cheyenne, stop overburdening our children with busywork assignments that have extremely little value. Don't make them read stupid fiction books by writers who can't be understood due to the obscure language they use. That's ridiculous. Save the reading for text books. Parents need to unite against this ridiculous homework. Too much of it is a waste of time.

13636 N. 100th Street, Scottsdale, AZ  85259
Last modified Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.