Scottsdale, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,001

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Hello families, Welcome to the Cheyenne page at Great Schools. I am so excited to have this opportunity to share our school with you. Please feel free to contact me or our front office staff with any questions or concerns. We currently have four homerooms at each grade level and service close to 1000 students daily. In the 2013-2014 school year we are excited to introduce the PBIS discipline model. I know that this focus on positive behaviors will be an amazing fit with student focused/teacher directed environment. I look forward to meeting all of you. :)
March 13, 2013

Posted January 14, 2015
This is our first year at CTS, and both my 4th grader and my 5th grader are happy here. There is a fair amount of homework, but we do not find it repetitive or excessive. We transferred here from a very well respected private school, and actually had quite a bit of catching up to do when we arrived. Like any other school, it is a mix of types of parents, some of whom are friendly, and some of whom are less so. The Principal is quite accessible and engaged, and has gone out of her way to let me know about her interactions with my son on more than one occasion. One of our children really loves her teacher, although my son is less enthusiastic. I believe that is largely because she is more strict with him than he is used to, and that is probably good for him. This school does not hand hold. Parents should be prepared to help with (not do) homework, to check it and review it, and drill and practice spelling words and math. My feeling is that this is a parents obligation, and is necessary at any school. Our teachers do a good job teaching the material, and making it interesting. There are interesting and engaging science projects, and the kids seem stimulated by the classwork.

Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School 2

Posted October 02, 2014
Transfered to this school from a different district for the quality of education but for the rude teacher I just have to say is just awful...is not understanding at all does not know how to talk to a child to have them understand just expects the child of the bat know everything. ..talks to a parent like with I don't care attitude...kids are suppose to look up to a teacher who is suppose to set a good example not where a teacher puts a child down...I think they should review what kind of teacher they hire...sorry but still not satisfied with the teacher and they way he/she approaches or talks to a child so not real and very fake

Posted September 30, 2014
We transferred to this school since we heard that this is a great school. Everything is good except the teachers in the front office, especially one of the teacher, she is no patience to you even they know that your kid is a new transferred student. She is kind of mean. This is what I dislike about this school!!!

Posted September 24, 2014
Too much worthless homework. The assignments are mainly busy work such as book reports and other time consuming projects with very little value. For example, if you want to teach someone how to budget, then teach them how to prepare a budget. Easy. Takes 10 minutes to teach someone how to write a budget. But don't turn it into a 3-4 hour project that the parents end up having to complete because the kids are bombarded by other nonsensical homework. Giving a kid 50 math questions a night is ridiculous. Teach them the concept, and the trick to solving each type of math problem and then call it a day. Repetition is old-school and very ineffective. Why should a kid go to school all day and then work 4 hours at night? I didn't have to do that when I was a kid, and I am a successful professional. Please, Cheyenne, stop overburdening our children with busywork assignments that have extremely little value. Don't make them read stupid fiction books by writers who can't be understood due to the obscure language they use. That's ridiculous. Save the reading for text books. Parents need to unite against this ridiculous homework. Too much of it is a waste of time.

Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School 1

Posted May 19, 2014
This was our first year at CTS, and last. The leadership, starting with the principal at this school is mediocre. If this is the best that Scottsdale has to offer, I can see why Arizona ranks 48th in the nation for education. The rigor of the school is imaginary, my child came from a private school, and had already learned most of what she was taught this year. The teachers, do not want any interaction with the parents. The Principal does not return calls, or emails. And the parents are unfriendly, cold and think that they are paying for a an elite "private" education. Sorry uniforms don't make a school "elite", or "private". You get what you pay for, Free education comes at a cost.

Posted April 21, 2014
Cheyenne is a wonderful school that treats students like adults, helping them build awareness, understand their boundaries and learn that there are consequences for behavior, both good and bad. The curriculum is rigorous and the parent community is deeply committed. Parents now must rally behind the budget and override to ensure the quality of education will all enjoy continues, as it is the only way students, and their community, can thrive.

Posted October 08, 2013
Super impressed with Cheyenne's traditional approach to teaching our kids! I know they will be very well-prepared for high school!

Posted April 27, 2013
My kids love this school and adore their teachers. The academic rigor is perfectly balanced with a warm supportive climate. The only negative is the new principal. My kids are terrified of her and it has also come to my attention she doesn't play nice with the staff and is something of a bully. She plays this game called "crispy bacon" during fire drills-not funny when you have an easily scared 1st grader.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted March 13, 2013

Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School 4

Posted November 13, 2012
The homework load is high, but my son has learned so much. The academics are unparalleled at Cheyenne. We have also dealt with bullying increasing from 6th grade onwards. I realize that bullying is somewhat typical middle school stuff, but I did expect more from Cheyenne middle school teachers. My son gets quietly cussed out by a popular girl during classtime. Even the F bomb isn't off limits during class. Overall great academics, but failing in social skills and anti-bullying.

Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School
13636 N. 100th Street, Scottsdale, AZ  85259
Last modified Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cheyenne Traditional Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top