Foothills Academy College Preparatory

Charter | 7-12 | 250 students

Our school is best known for our academically advanced students.

Living in Scottsdale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $480,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,230.

Posted yesterday

This school started out to be such a great opportunity of higher learning but over the course of the last 2 years, it has went from penthouse to odd house. The administration leadership has driven this school into the depths of mediocrity. I have withdrawn both of my children this year and they could not be more pleased. The sports program is very good considering the talent that they have to work with. Some of the coaches have been there many years and have driven the program as best they could with the limited resources. They give their all and are not appreciated!

Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Foothills has real problems on almost every level.. Do not enroll your children in this school, avoid at all costs, this is not a good school!!!!!!

Posted June 24, 2014

Contrary to the last few reviews, I would like to express my dissatisfaction with Foothills Academy. After spending three years at the school, I have withdrawn my son. I'm withdrawing him for many reasons, too many to list in this review. I completely disagree with the Administrations' philosophies, and it's known that academically the school has been deteriorating. Just look at the rankings here-what was once a 10 is now an 8....there will be a substantial exit of upperclassmen next year, and for very good reasons. Foothills is losing some of their best. High school should not only be rewarding and challenging academically, but also socially. There is no school spirit or "fun" events ie. dances etc that these kids should be able to enjoy. There is no student involvement or attendance at sports events, no cheerleaders, or spirit clubs. The school held a "drum circle" at the end of the school year. Sorry, but I don't think that is any high school student's idea of fun. I'm looking forward to my son attending a high school that offers a more traditional education(weighted Honors, AP & IB), and a more fun and rewarding experience.

Posted June 18, 2014

My daughter has attended Foothills Academy College Prep since 6th grade. She has had nothing but positive experiences...educationally, socially and with extra curricular activities. She is continually challenged in the classroom. Beginning in with 6th grade Science where she was propelled to a new level of performance we had not seen previously in public school. She was instructed in English during her 7th and 8th grade years by one of the best teacher she has ever had. Last year, in 10th grade, her writing developed on a whole new level. As a result of the advanced math curriculum she experienced over the past 5 years, my daughter performed exceptionally on the 10th grade AIMS math assessment. The small classroom size and extraordinarily caring teachers and staff have been a real benefit to my daughter. I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking for an academically challenging curriculum in a small family-like environment.

Posted June 18, 2014

Both of my kids started Foothills Academy last fall and I am so happy my husband and I decided to make the change. At first both of my kids were apprehensive of starting over at a new school, but the small atmosphere of the Foothills Academy really helped them feel at home quickly. My 7th grader has made a group of great friends and my 9th grader loved playing on all the sports teams with her new friends. They are both looking forward to attending Foothills Academy next year and I am so glad that we found the girls a school where they feel safe and have great teachers they say they learn a lot from.

Posted June 18, 2014

We currently have four children attending Foothills and have been there for almost five years. My background is in private education and have found my children's education to be equivalent to the private education that I received. We are grateful to be a part of Foothills and look forward to all four of our children graduating from there.

Posted June 11, 2014

My daughter was struggling at the local public high school and came to this school and flourished with a caring staff, and small classes. She still struggles in math but the program is advanced; the principal met with us and outlined a good academic plan to help our daughter succeed. My son is thinking about joining his sister there for high school, but doesn't like the uniform strictness.

Posted May 21, 2014

Facp is not what I expected. I started attending the school in 4th grade and loved it until the end of 6th grade. I came to facp with great hopes and expectations that it would be the place that I graduate from. this was not the case. Most of my teacher are great but some don't even teach and just give us "Free Time". I moved schools in fourth grade for a challenging education, which I got up until the college prep. before coming to the college prep I was a straight A student. now, because of the lack of motivation and method, I am a straight C student. I will not be attending for highschool. The school cares more about their ego and appearance than the education that they give. props to the teachers who actually stand up for themselves against our principal.

Posted May 13, 2014

This school has taught me the corruption of society. Not only being far below average in teacher's abilities it also has a dysfunctional faculty. The teachers do not motivate the students, the athletic programs are below average, and the lack of social activities is appalling. DO NOT COME TO THIS SCHOOL!!!

Posted April 27, 2014

This is by far the worst school I have ever been to. (I have been to 6 other high schools and this is definitely the worst and most unorganized) The teachers let all the students do whatever they want. I have seen sooo many students on their phones the whole class and I am constantly seeing kids just run around the campus during class. The teachers don't care about any of the students or their grades. Everyone in my math class gets the homework answers online for every assignment handed out and our teachers gives us the exact test the day before. I also know of many students who sit in the office where the online students are when they decide not to take a test. I will definitely 100% will not be coming back next year.

Posted April 15, 2014

My student was struggling at the larger, public school in the area and I am so glad what we found Foothills Academy. Ever since she started school here her grades have improved and she has been becoming more social. She was overwhelmed with the larger class sizes at her former public school and now she is more comfortable with the 18 students that are in her class. I am thankful that there is a school like this in our area because it really helped make my daughter become a better and more organized student and it has helped her socially

Posted April 10, 2014

I have been very happy with the teachers, staff, and the principal at this school. Everyone was very welcoming when my son started here and he loves his current teacher. He seems to be learning a lot more and understanding the materials much better since he is in a smaller classroom environment. Overall Foothills Academy has been a great transition for our family I look forward to how my son s education improves over the years at this school.

Posted April 10, 2014

Foothills Academy College Preparatory is the the best thing I have done for my education. I am currently a senior here and like many students, I choose to be here. I have been at Foothills since I was a sixth grader, briefly leaving to try a public high school and quickly coming back. The class sizes are small, and I couldn't imagine Foothills any other way. The teachers want all of their students to succeed, and consistently do their very best in order to make that possible. The classes are challenging, yet manageable. The administration could not be more helpful. The women at the front desk are two of the nicest people I have ever met, and are there for whatever you could possibly need. The teachers I have had have shaped me in ways I can not begin to describe. Senior Project, a hands on internship or volunteer project, is one of the most rewarding opportunities the school presents. Foothills is a family, and I have grown here. Not only with the students, but the faculty as well. This fall my classmates and I will attend awesome schools across the country with great career paths in mind. Overall, I would not change the time I spent at Foothills Academy in the slightest.

Posted April 8, 2014

Foothills Academy is a great school because it provides students with wonderful teachers in a small and family-like school setting. The small class sizes allow the students to get a more one-on-one teaching experience, which helps them understand and grasp the concepts faster and longer. It is wonderful to watch the students grow from K-12th grade as a family unit and leave with a respect for their teachers and their school because they have grown up and matured at their second home, Foothills Academy. If you are interested in having your child get an advanced eduction in an intimate and friendly setting, the Foothills Academy is the right school for you.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 8, 2014

It is wonderful that Foothills Academy offers college prep curriculum. A friend of my family s daughter attends school here and she loves it. Her daughter says she is challenged by her teachers and is always learning something new and interesting in her classes. She also loves that she can be involved in the volleyball program there and is always excited to invite me to watch her compete in her games. I wish I had a college prep school for my kids when they were growing up, but I am glad that my friend s daughter gets to receive her education from this school.

Posted January 6, 2014

I'm a student attending this school and I am very disappointed in this school. Last year, it was great. The teachers were fantastic and the students were actually nice. Cases of bullying were rare. Now, this year, the teachers are unmotivated. First off, the math department is completely messed up. Last year, one of the only good math teachers left. Another thing wrong is the school cares more about the dress code than what you learn. You can't even wear all black shoes with bits of white lining or else they'll make you put black duct tape on your shoes. Now, there are some pros to the school. It is small and the classes are nice since you don't have so many students. The campus is very easy to walk around and it's almost impossible to get lost. But, sadly, bullying is increasing this year and it seems as if no one is doing anything about it. If you are coming to this school or plan on it; be prepared to deal with a administration that doesn't listen half the time and also, you might need to get a tutor soon. I really hope Foothills will shape it up next year, or else, I will definitely not be returning.

Posted November 20, 2013

I'm currently a sophomore attending Foothills and don't not plan on returning after this year. What used to be a decent school is now nothing more than a daycare center. The students are unmotivated, the sports programs are pitiful, and many of the teachers could care less about engaging their students and providing a quality education for them. College Prep? Yeah right.

Posted May 19, 2013

My son has had a great year 7th grade year at FACP. We came from a public school down the street where he had 36 kids in class, and it was awful. Here he has 17 kids, and is participating much more and has learned a ton this year. ( Many of the low reviews sound like sour grapes from students who couldn't cut it there.) Fine by me. Keep the classes small and the academics challenging.

Posted April 8, 2013

I attended foothills as a freshman and left. The student body as a whole is very stuck up. Many kids manage too show off their money even though they are required to wear uniforms. There is little extra curriculur activities and if you are interested in participating in sports I would not recommend attending this school. The education you receive is good though but despite the small size of the school the teachers generally do not care about the students which i find very odd. The best decision I have made so far is leaving foothills. There are a few good people which I still keep in contact with but the majority of the student body are spoiled and have stuck up and negative attitudes. I may seem negative right now but I'm just saying the truth about my experience at foothills.

Posted October 28, 2012

Foothills Academy has been a good school for both my children. I have a child at each of the schools. My children have done well stepping up to the acadademic challenge. The teachers are vested in the children and their success. The principles at both schools offer solutions to challenges and are willing work with the families to promote a safe learning environment.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

n/a

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 53%N/A49%
Male 47%N/A51%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 20% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 80% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Top High Schools in the U.S. (2012)
  • 2014 Best of Scottsdale Award K-12 School (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
  • Donald Senneville
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 488-6902

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Core knowledge
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
  • Virtual school
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

• Poetry
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013