Center for Educational Excellence

Charter | K-8 | 363 students

Living in Tempe

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $255,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted May 18, 2008

The school has a good concept, but the level of education has really suffered. The principal is very good at talking a good game, but fails to deliver. The school is so understaffed, parents are often asked to be involved in an inappropriate manner. The parents are lunch monitors, substitute teachers, and are not trained at all. The prinicipal will listen to concerns, but never acts on them. The boundary issues in the school really needs help, often times teachers discuss things they should not and rumors are often rampant. Its good for pre k, and Kindergarden and 1st grades, after that, the educational level drops off. Great summer program with daily trips to interesting places.

Posted April 28, 2008

I have enrolled 4 of my children at CEE. The oldest started there when it was 'Fit -n- Fun', a pre-school. Our family has watched this wonderful program grow. My only regret is that they do not have a High School. I am now worried for my oldest, who leaves here this year... Great communication and dedication from the faculty. Absolute commitment to the students and parents.

Posted April 9, 2008

During my recent visit to your website I was saddended to read the review by one of the families that chose to report on 'little or no communication from these teachers.' It has been my experience that the teachers at CEE go above and beyond to communicate with the parents. They make themselves available before and after school as well as the work they take home on the weekend. When a parent criticizes a school, I have to wonder about the volunteer time they have spent building that home-school connection. It is so vitally important that our children see their parents making that commitment to be actively involved in the school community. CEE provides many opportunities for parents, students, and teachers to work together. Communication is an ongoing skill that few people ever master. It is my hope that this family examine their overall support of this great school.

Posted April 8, 2008

Our family has been involved with this school for four years and we have witnessed a decline in the quality of the teaching staff each year. Most of the teachers are competent and well admired by the parents of the students, however there are several teachers who need much more oversight then they are getting from the administration. Little and sometimes no comunication from these few teachers is the norm. This is the last year for us, and also for many others.

Posted March 29, 2008

I have 3 children who have attended 'Center for Educational Excellence'. My oldest, who is Autistic, started in the 2nd grade at C.E.E. and moved on to attend a College Prep High School. My middle child was one of the first children to attend from Kindgarten thru 8th... she was a challenge and the staff worked wonderfully with us to fit her needs. I now have one child left attending C.E.E. and she's above the charts for her level... so they have chosen to put her in a class above her own grade level... and she is still achieving A's. In other words, my children were all over the charts when it came to their needs... and they found where each one fit in socially and academically. The extra curricular activities and before/after programs are amazing and the staff is top notch. Go Eagles!!!

Posted March 6, 2008

This is the 3rd year my son has been at CEE and what a great experience it has been. The staff, led by Mrs. Cochran, is prepared to handle all kinds of children. (My son has ADD). The patience they demonstrate is admirable. The curricula is so much better than the Mesa Public schools, where my son wasted a full year at Crismon Elementary. At Crismon, the Principal bragged about being ahead of all Arizona Public School standards....Bull!! That Principal should be fired; I considered complaining to the Superintendant of the Mesa Public Schools about him. What a loser!! CEE allows gifted students to work with kids ahead of them, so they are not being taught a 'dumbed down' education. They are challenged, encouraged and praised for their work. If you have the chance to send your child to CEE, do it.

Posted February 5, 2008

This is my daughter's first year of school and I'm so happy she's attending CEE. Mrs.Cochran is a very dedicated and caring person who takes pride in her school, staff and her students. The school is extremely organized and structured. My daughter's teacher is new to CEE this year but is an awesome teacher with wonderful patience. I have 2 other daughters in a private montessori right now (which was rated as one of the highest performing schools last year in their bracket) and i'm strongly considering switching them to CEE next year! This school feels like family to us (with alot of the staff members also attending our church) and I wouldn't want my daughter attending school anywhere else. way to go CEE!

Posted January 20, 2008

I Attended CEE for four and a half years and my own sister for 6 years. We truly enjoyed the atmosphere the teachers and staff provide for it's students. My grades were at an all time high at this school. There is no other school like this one... Infact I would still be there if there it was a highschool too!

Posted December 19, 2007

I went to CEE for about 7 years and it was the best school I've ever been to! Everyone there is so friendly and caring, I will never have another school experience like that. Now, I look back and think of it as my family. I was the new girl a CEE but the teachers/students always made me feel welcome and I knew I belonged there. I would highly recommend you have your children go there too Plus, there academics cant be beat!

Posted October 29, 2007

I have been teaching at CEE for the past four years. I have never seen a staff work together as closely as this one. We are constantly striving for improvement for ourselves and for those we teach. We do a great job communicating with our parents to make sure individual needs are met. Mrs. Cochran is very supportive and truly cares about her staff.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 25, 2007

this is the best school i ever went to even though i was only there for a year it felt like i had been there all my life. the school is like a family and everyone knows echother by name even the front desk people will never need to ask your name. at first i didnt want to go there and leave my old school, but u will never feel like you dont belong here. i made the friends i had ever had there and so many memories in only a year. its not a place where people say 'sorry' if they toch u or do something small, its like a big familyand thats just what stands out most about it and im sounding like an adult so this is weid but i realy miss this school alot. so go here.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 19, 2007

I have found all of the teachers to be well prepared, offering challenging lesson plans. At CEE, they do not teach to the AIMS tests, yet remain an Excelling School. They offer a quality education and also provide excellent lessons in learning good character. Last year, my son scored an almost perfect score on the AIMS test thanks to the dedicated, high quality teachers at CEE.

Posted September 18, 2007

Ellie soto ,when I came to Cee it was my first year at CEE...I was introduced to teachers,pupils, and school mascots! My first year was a little rough in 5th grade but I think it was my fault i was really stuburn. I'm in 7th grade right know in Mr.Kotkins class and it is awesome. All the teachers chear you on to keep on going even when it gets tough. Mrs.Cochran don't get me started! I am in the Volleyball team and she is reminding me how good I am and how i help the team out. oops no more words

Posted August 7, 2007

I was lucky enough to find Mrs. Cochran years ago, when my children were small and before CEE had even begun - when Mrs. Cochran was running a great daycare facility in Chandler. My two children have been with her and this organization for their whole lives - I can't imagine trusting anyone else with their education and daily welfare. My oldest is now in the 8th grade, and we are faced with trying to find an equally excellent school for her for next year, as CEE only goes up to the 8th grade. The teachers know their students as individuals, and treat and teach them as such-this is crucial to their educational experience, and the main reason I appreciate CEE. Great staff, good/great teachers, and a good before/after school care program. Rest assured - this is a great school for your family!

Posted July 21, 2007

We moved from out of state two years ago in October where my children attended a wonderful school. I decided to try CEE from the advice of my neighbor, I have a second grader and a daughter that will be starting high school. I love the teacher that my second grader had and feel that the younger grades are great, but the 7 and 8 grades are a tradegy! Besides that CEE is a excellent school.

Posted July 10, 2007

The teachers don't know what to do with the kids and they are unsure how to teach them. They don't make sure that the students truly understand the lesson plan and only spend about 10 minutes teaching them the lesson and are just reading everything from a book.

Posted September 14, 2006

After moving from Michigan to Arizona, my 2 children attended CEE for 2 1/2 years from Kindergarten to 3rd grade before a move to Gilbert forced a change in schools. A good move. Another relocation caused another move to Chandler Anderson Elem. Not a good move. Now Back at CEE and in our rightful place. Any comments written by other parents indicating a negative experience should be taken with a grain of salt. The quality of the educational experience at CEE is far superior to to that of the 3 other schools my kids have attended. No more moves for us!

Posted August 20, 2006

CEE is an okay school. The academics are good, and there arn't many extracurriculars you can join without feeling like you don't belong, but it's okay here.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 20, 2006

My two sons attend school here, ages 9 & 14. CEE nurtures kids and allows them to develop their own individual potential-my youngest has ADHD and CEE has provided the extra support he needs to be succesfull-My oldest son will graduate 8th grade this year and is looking forward to high school-Cee has a wonderful art program, sports program and PTO-parent involvement is encouraged and since the staff makes you feel like family, its always a pleasure to get involved. They offer a wonderful before/after school program and are available during school breaks. My boys have been all over this state! Highly recommended school!

Posted January 2, 2006

Great parent involvement and have been very pleased with overall teacher approach. For K-5, it's excellent. May be a little small for those middle school years.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

n/a
Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 54%N/A49%
Male 46%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1700 E. Elliot #9