Fees College Preparatory Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 958 students

We are committed to the academic success of each student.

Posted September 23, 2013

My son is in 6th grade and new to Fees this year. I can't say enough about how impressed I am with the Principal and teachers as well as the PTSA. The expectations are clearly communicated to the parents. I love that I know what is happening and be able to plan accordingly. I like that they use ParentVue so I can see my sons grades every day as well as a calendar of assignments. Teachers answer emails in a timely manner and communicate well. The PTSA is really open to new parents. They are professional and keep meetings on time and useful. I am blown away about how much I really like it. I guess there might have been some past problems with this school from the low rating on Great Schools, but I can tell you this is no longer the case.

Posted September 16, 2013

my son was receiving straight F's at the San tan school, prior to moving to Tempe. Ever since he started attending this school he is now back on track with straight A's. nothing else to say. the proof is in the pudding. thank you.

Posted September 10, 2013

I am very satisfied with the curriculum and the staff at Fees. Excellents teachers and nice administration team. They work hard for our kids, to prepare them for a better academic and personal future. I love the orchestra program Mrs. Smith is a wonderful teacher.

Posted September 11, 2012

Fees is a great school! 2 kids, many changes and still loving it. Admittedly, last year was the toughest with the principal out (he took a medical leave, eventually had to resign and sadly just passed)- discipline was not where it should have been and some kids took advantage (as kids this age will). This year Fees has a very strong principal who has the structure and discipline back in place. I love the teachers, it is obvious that they truly care about my kids. My kids are thriving academically and socially. I find it meaningful that they have so many elective opportunities (they get 2 electives every day which really allows them to excel in their given passions). The academics comes easily to both so it is nice to see them given opportunities through art, music and sports to become more well rounded.

Posted April 9, 2012

I like Fees! I have had 3 children attend this school and they have felt safe and comfortable in this structured learning environment. I have found the faculty to be open to my communication and responsive. I appreciate their dedication to my children's education and their big hearts as they often go beyond the call of duty to provide the best opportunities for their students.

Posted April 1, 2012

In my opinion FEES is the worst possible school a child could attend. My daughter is in 7th grade, and her year has been full of nothing but bulling and degrading by other students. On one occassion, my daughter was assulted in the bathroom by another student and it was videotaped. When it was reported to administration, nothing really was done about it, and it was treated as if I was over reacting and the kids were just being kids. I wonder when enough will be enough, maybe when a child dies or commits harm to themselves because their crys for help have gone left unheard or answered. My daughter will be attending a different school next year, where I will be required to provide transportaion, but thats ok, because at least her life and self esteem will not be in jepordy.

Posted March 9, 2012

I am so disappointed in this school. My daughter is a 6th grader and is harassed and berrated on a daily basis because she is not hoodlum like many of the other kids that attend. The school does not do these kids any favors by giving them 2nd and 3rd chances to make up work or retest to bring up their grades. I mean this isn't preparing our kids for the real world. I know my boss doesn't give me multiple chances to do my work correctly so.... The teachers and staff seem to flash a blind eye at the cursing, fighting, threatening and drug exchanges going on and when I expressed concern I was treated as though I was overreacting and it's not just this school it's everywhere. THIS IS THE WORST SCHOOL IN THE TEMPE DISTRICT! My child will not be attending next year and it's really a shame because I went to this school 20 years ago and it was great. How times have changed. I will now have to transport her out of the district everyday just so she can get a quality education and not be fearful of being jumped everyday.

Posted January 6, 2012

There was a time when failing children "failed". Now my child gets a chance (more than one ) to bring his grade to passing. I wonder if this is for the school rating, or my childs. There is NO online accountability for my childs progress. This schools name has been recently renamed, Fees College Prep.? I HAVE gone to board meetings just to be appeased, that the electronic monitoring will be available soon! ( Two years ago) Time to get serious. I have another child entering the middle school system next spring (2012) and I am cautious.

Posted December 11, 2011

I was a student at this school for all three years. I am now a sophomore and so happy I don't have to attend that lousy school! I was an honors student. The teachers, I can say, are the best part of that school. On the other hand, the principal is not. He's terrible. None of my classmates, including myself, liked him. We considered him to be a bit discriminating against some races..

Posted August 3, 2011

Lousy school....this is well known as the worst school in the Tempe District. You know it's bad when teachers who work there come on this site and give it 5 stars in a rebuttal. Little conflict of interest there?

Posted August 1, 2011

My oldest son went here and I can say this is a horrible school. What he learned was foul language, and how to work the system. It did nothing to prepare him for high school, and now he struggles. Teachers are good for the most part, but the administration makes it impossible for them to do a good job. If your child has a goal of being a landscaper or dishwasher, This is the school for you. This is the worst performing middle school in the Tempe district. Tempe had to close one school for budget constraints, so what did they do? They kept this school open and closed the highest performing one. And these people want to educate you child? My youngest is now entering middle school, and there is no way he will be going here.

Posted June 13, 2011

I think they are a little harder on my son then they needed to be but I think it was the overall culture of the school. Not a bad school just not an excelling one either.

Posted May 31, 2011

Children are not paraded around school for not doing work- they go to a room for a working lunch to complete homework which should have been done at home. All of the teachers care deeply about the success of each, individual student, going so far as to check individual progress and let each student know what needs to be done. Teachers work hard to ensure that instruction is understood. Many opportunities exist for both help and enrichment. The school mind set is, "ALL STUDENTS WILL SUCCEED." Parents can help by checking binders, checking to see what assignments are due that homework is completed on time. Excelling students have opportunities to participate in enrichment classes, extra activities and honors classes. Students with challenges are not dismissed. Classes may be tougher for some, but the philosophy that all students will succeed applies to the challenged as well. Teachers don't give up, but provide multiple opportunities for success.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 30, 2011

This school is terrible. My son has a touch of ADHD and sometimes has challenges in class. Instead of talking to him or making him sit outside the classroom for a few minutes his Language Arts teacher (Lopez) sends him to In School Intervention. He has spent a lot of time there and missed classes because of this teacher overreacting. No other teacher has ever sent him. The principal also does not help, punishing him for things he did after school off of school campus. They do not try to help children that need it, but simply lock them away in a room so they don't have to deal with them. They do not help you at all when there is an issue and it is very difficult to get them to call you back to speak about an issue our son had. They refuse to call us back and call his other parent instead, who they have been told not to call and who has asked them herself not to call her because she does not deal with his issues. They also give him good grades for poor work so he thinks he is doing better than he actually is and his standards for his work are very low. Poor teachers, horrible principal, and incorrect discipline system. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN TO FEES!!!!

Posted April 7, 2011

i am very disappointed in this school. I just found out that they (principal) parade children around the school if they don't do their homework. That's really building character...not. What kind of people run that school that they would do that to their students? Have they or have they not ever had any training in building leaders and self-esteem, to bring out the greatness in children? I was astounded to hear this. It's not a school that I would want my child to attend.

Posted March 21, 2011

My child has been a Fees for almost two years and he is thriving. The honors classes are challenging without drowning him in homework. The music program, specifically strings, is excellent. My son loves the PE coach. My wife and I were apprehensive about our son starting middle school, but the experience has been great so for (knock on wood!).

Posted July 7, 2010

This principal is terrible. He does not like teachers who have been here for a long time and bullies them until they leave the school. Even when they are good teachers. He wants them all to teach the exact same way, no matter what. Most teachers from before he came aren't here anymore. Don't send your kids here. It is awful. Kids cant talk even at lunch. Test scores went up but what kids learn went way down so that all kids can pass the tests. I don't know why they don't get rid of this guy. Don't send your kids here.

Posted March 9, 2010

This is thee worst school my daughter has ever attended. is the most unsafe place your child can be at, bullying, harassment, attacks, teachers see it happening and fail to inform the principal or assistant principal. front desk help are rude, careless and ignorant. The worst! The principal is the worst ever!

Posted December 31, 2009

Great teachers but poor programs. This year they introduced the 'I' policy where they allow students to slack off, and get their work in way overdue. This is unfair for the hardworking students who do get their work on time, and is not preparing us for high school or the future.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 5, 2009

this is the best school ever my child is doing so much better and the teacers are great

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

354 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

296 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

296 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

285 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 68%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Autism
  • Cognitive disability
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Girls on the run

• 7:10 am
School end time
  • 2:25 pm
  • Kacy S. Tomason
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
  • Music
  • Performing arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• None
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school

Visit

Middle school

Finding the right school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Marcos De Niza