Posted September 12, 2014
Upon finding University High, my daughter is finally 'at home'. It offers a challenging and enriching curriculum. If a student does what they highly recommend, that is attend tutoring sessions after school and adhere to their study advice they will be able to succeed. You get what you put into it. My daughter has straight A's so far and finds a couple of the courses to be easy(her electives that are with the Tolleson High classes) but most to have the right amount of challenge that she craves. Many students received scholarships last year either. Some are going to local university with scholarships as well as Stanford, Harvey Mudd, National, Brown, etc. The curriculum incorporates using the 'Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens'. There are certain classes in which they won't let you get less than 80% without either intensive tutoring or retaking the class over the summer. You really do get what you put into it, a student must be willing to work hard at this school. My daughter loves it! And she enjoys extracurricular activities and clubs that they offer. They have a new dean this year and so far communication is even better than before.

University High School 1

Posted May 15, 2014
My son was in the top 7% in his Math AIMS when I enrolled him into UH he has attended the school for two years. I was told by several teachers and the ONLY guidance teacher UH has that "students are expected to fail in their first year" I gave it another year and then became very worried as I spoke to other parents who were displeased on the teaching methods and we're taking their children out of UH. I also attended the scholarship ceremony at TUHS/UH and noticed very few UH students were awarded scholarships at this point I wash very concerned but still felt there was hope and wanted some assurance from UH staff but I was not able to get any reassurance from staff including the Dean .. If anything it was the opposite even more concern with my sons grades falling and no one available to inquire about thm was pure frustration to say the least. It wasn't until I called district did I receive an actual call back almost three weeks later and was basically told my son wasn't a concern because he was not "failing" in their eyes regardless of my son dropping from an "A" student to a "C -" in one semester. I was beyond furious and attempted to get some type of answers on how to help my son

Posted September 18, 2013
As a student who attends this school, I know first hand what kind of school this is. I love how challenging the courses are. The environment is welcoming and peaceful. Every student strides to reach their full potential with the support of the teachers and their fellow peers. Although University High School is very challenging it is also very enjoyable. You have the privilege of meeting people of diverse backgrounds, which helps to build essential social skills. The one thing i believe this school lacks, as well as the Tolleson Union High School District, is funds. Although the majority of schools need funds very few are able to work with what they have. In University High we work with what we have and we have been successful. University High is like nothing i have every encountered.

Posted August 17, 2013
I was skeptical about all Phoenix schools because there not a challenge for the kids. I was school surfing and came across this school. I said this school has 10 out of 10 stars, you have gots to be kidding. I did the research and loved what I saw. The test results were good, performance, everything I wanted to here about the school. I took my son to take the test and he passed. I was so happy because I just want a challenge for him. We're from Michigan and I was disappointed with the school system so I was looking for something challenging. I am happy with the results. The school is very challenging and keeps kids focused. My son is learning alot and is challenged, thank you.

Posted August 12, 2013
University High is an amazing school where they teach you based on where you are at, not where the rest of the student body is at. The pace is specialized to fit any teen's learning. They support you, and this school is really like a family. We all work together to support each other and build each other up.

Posted October 25, 2012
Coming from Ohio, our son was not being challenged in the Arizona public school system. We were very excited with what we heard about this school and it has met our desire for a challenging education. We are very happy with this school and the small school setting within the Tolleson Union High School.

University High School