Skyview High School

Charter | 9-12 | 152 students

Small class sizes, visual art and video production programs.

Living in Tucson

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $169,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Posted December 4, 2013

Skyview High School is amazing!!! The staff is VERY dedicated to the education,safety and well being of each and every student. For the first time ever my autistic son looks forward to going to school and I know that he is recieving the education that he deserves. Skyview has an awesome website with videos that the students made and viewing the videos helped my son feel comfortable going to Skyview on his first day. The staff and students treat him with kindness and respect and he is making some wonderful friends their. Thank you Skyview for giving all of your student the best education they could every recieve and a future they deserve!!

Posted June 23, 2013

My daughter is doing so much better in this school. Its small and individualized to help the kids succeed. The teachers really care and the administration and the staff are great too. My daughter was having some health issues and they really helped us work around them, so she could finish the school year on a good note.

Posted May 6, 2012

The teachers and staff at Skyview High School are the most qualified, talented, and dedicated teachers in Tucson schools. Aside from really knowing their stuff, they have an excellent understanding of students. My daughter left a TUSD high school because she felt lost in a sea of druggies who didn't care about school and teachers who were just there to collect a paycheck. The kids at Skyview get away with NOTHING, and although grades are better, they're still challanged more than they ever would be in a large public setting. Anyone who doesn't like this school is likely an enabler to their child and has an issue with the administration and staff's no-nonsense approach to education and zero-tolerance for poor behavior. Furthermore, the art, fashion, and video production programs surpass anything I've seen from any school in Tucson. There's no school on Fridays unless they need extra help or they missed a day, but my daughter insists on attending anyway because Skyview is somewhere she feels safe, accepted, and important.

Posted August 5, 2011

Skyview rescued my kids! When my husband insisted we give them a chance because our daughter was doing so poorly in traditional schools I had my doubts, but she did great. She got all "A"s and "B"s on her report cards, we received continuous feedback from teachers, and she even graduated 6 months early. Based on that we sent our son to Skyview from day one. What a great decision that was. Skyview didn't just prepare him for graduation, they prepared him for life. So, what is he doing now? Glad you asked...he is a US Marine!

Posted July 13, 2011

As a parent I cannot say enough about this school. There is a new principal that has made some incredible improvements in the last year that my son has attended. I plan to send my daughter there this year. The teachers are dedicated and the art coming out of this school is unbelievable. Go in and see for yourself!

Posted May 25, 2011

The only thing holding up this school is the meager, dedicated staff they employ. There is a reason that this school has large turnover in its staff. Very few of the staff has been with this institution for the long haul. The staff, parents, and sudents freely gossip about what is wrong with this school - the leadership. The "leadership" of this school is so very backhanded, twofaced, unprofessional, and unhelpful that they drive their own good teachers away. If the "leaders" say anything to you, be sure to get it in writing. Students are not lying when they say they were told something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT by theirs "leaders".
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 21, 2010

As a teacher, I was disappointed in the change in administration after my first year and chose to leave halfway through my second year. I found the administration to be unsupportive, unhelpful, and unconcerned with student and teacher issues. Electives offered are the best part; the art and fashion programs are wonderful and bring out many students' unknown talents. The teachers try to help each student succeed and respond quickly to issues in the classroom, both behaviorally and academically. There are not many extracurriculars and no sports due to the size of the school and lack of administrative support. The student spread was from some with excessive behavior issues to students who excelled in smaller classes with more opportunity for one-on-one tutoring. Not somewhere I would ever consider teaching again due to my experiences involving a lack of leadership and professionalism from the administration.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 3, 2008

When i first started high school i was a wreck! i was getting into tons of trouble and was going no where with my life. when i came to TA i had 3 credits my sophmore year. i am now a senior, and i am graduating 3 blocks (quarters) early, and carry a 3.5 grade point average, something me and my parents NEVER would have expected out of me. i felt as though there was no hope for me, that everyone had lost all faith in me ever doing something with my life. Then i met the wonderful staff at Tucson Accelerated. i am now a part of choir, yearbook, student government and fashion. This school helped me become the person i am today. without the amazing staff, i dont think i would be where i am today. i can honestly say that this school is the best. of course there are strickt, enforced rules. but any good school is like that. I love coming to school and seeing the smiling faces of the staff. Its has become a second home for me. My family. Maybe i'm just one of the lucky ones. Either way, i'm glad that my mom put me in this school. It changed my life. and i dont know where, or who i would be today without it.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 17, 2008

I am currently a student at Tucson Accelerated High School. I have been going there since half of my freshman year. I am now going to be a senior this fall. I had left Sabino because i did not fit in with people there so i decided to go to T.A. The first day i had gone there i was sort of shy but the next day i had already made friends. People there are very nice, the staff is great, they get along well with the students and other faculty. My whole experience has made me a better person.I look forward to going to school everyday because the teachers supporting me to get my work done so i can graduate in december and later on start a nursing career in college. I am very happy to be going to TA and i will be in the class of 2009
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 15, 2008

its the worst school ever . the priciples and teachers are as burned out and insane as the students who go their . a current principal does nothing to help students but only make them feel like they cannot accomplish anything . thier make up time or as they call it ''flex' is very stupid because kida are going to miss school and have no time to make up. and so they fail do to not flexing even if they have good grades which is not fair. do no send our children to this low budget school , they dont even have a library or a decent gym or auditoriom , in no way does it look like or is a normal school . bad bad bad

Posted August 30, 2007

After a horrible experience with staff at Sahuaro, I enrolled my son in this school. He actually looks forward to going to school now! The staff is friendly & returns my calls promptly. The school week is 4 days long, with only 3 classes taken at a time. Students can go in on the fifth day to make up work, time missed or get help on any subject. Wonderful!

Posted July 19, 2007

My children attended summer school and did exceptional. The teachers were dedicated and staff was awesome. They take time to learn and listen from students. A very respectful environment and everybody is treated equal. My son is returning this fall and is looking foreword to it. My daughter opted for Organized Sports that are not provided yet at Tucson Accelerated High School. She will return to her high school.

Posted July 5, 2006

Even the teachers leave because they can not handle the children. I withdrew my child after only one month of attending. Please do not send your child to this scool unless there is no other option.

Posted December 14, 2005

I was pleasantly surprised at the staff quality and efficiency at this school. 100% attendance policy helps to define student personal responsibility. My daughter did better here than at other High Schools she attended. A loth of the students seem to have the 'outcast' look or behavior, but maybe that's more acceptable these days.

Posted January 30, 2005

This school has had at least three principals in the last two and a half years. Teacher quality varied widely- a few excellent teachers, but many were substandard/or burned out. The adminstration of this school is one of the worst you could find. I would not send my son or daughter here if I had to do it over again.

Posted March 19, 2003

Last month a student who belonged to a public school my daughter formerly attended, showed up on the T.A.H.S premises. I had moved my daughter to T.A. from the the public school because of the harrassment she received from this student. She was visibly shaken. I was very impressed by the way the faculty as a whole tended to this matter. I was immediately informed and was told the police had been contacted. Upon arrival I was greeted by Mr. Holman, Mr. Chandler, Mrs. Copeland and Mr. Knorr, who all showed great concern for my daughter. The public school my daughter previously attended, knew of the previous harrassments, but did not seem to do anything about the situation. I was hoping my daughter to return to her old school for the next school year. She stated she wished to stay at T.A., and after this incident, I am very happy my daughter is attending T.A. and will continue. I am very happy with Tucson Accelerated. It is not what I expected. One of her teachers called my home, just to let me know her ideas on teaching and her class subject. Remarkable!

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 62%N/A47%
Female 53%N/A49%
Male 47%N/A51%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Sabino
Rincon
Catalina
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • End Of Bullying PSA Competition Grand Prize (2013)
  • End Of Bullying PSA Competition Grand Prize (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• 8:20 am
School end time
  • 2:10 am
  • Mr. David Harris
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (520) 722-4785

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Independent Study
  • Multi-aged
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Tagalog
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring

• Creative writing
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom