Annie Kellond Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 449 students

Posted April 29, 2014

Kellond has a very calm atmosphere for the kids to learn in. The teachers are helpful, creative and work in the interest of each child. I highly recommend this school. My child is the 3rd grade gate program and comes home excited about what she is learning.

Posted March 24, 2014

Bullying problem reported to school constantly with zero school reaction to it. They refuse to address the bullies directly and instead choose to make it harder on victims. Glad its almost over and on to new school next year. Worst bullying I have seen and yet school does not even speak to us. Sweep it away, let the victim cry. School deserves an F... deitz was better school in this area, don't let ratings fool you!

Posted January 23, 2014

I can't say enough good things about Kellond. In the past few years, under the direction of Scoot Hagerman, Kellond has gone from a C to an A school. The extracurricular offerings here are stellar, including OMA Gold, Band, Orchestra, Choir, Drama, Basketball, Cross Country, Chess Club and others. The campus is about to undergo a beautiful transformation with Cats in the Community beautifying the inner courtyards. The PTO is very involved. Kellond also is one of the few schools in town with self-contained GATE. The teachers and staff and wonderful. Highly recommend!!

Posted October 28, 2013

Kellond has amazing teachers and a great office staff as well as PTO. I am happy my children go to such a great school.

Posted October 26, 2013

I have been involved in the capacity of grand parent to two Kellond students since 2008 from preschool to 4th grade. I have watched the school grow with the addition of Rogers Elementary students and more this year 2013 and a change of principals. The OMA way is working and management, kindness and discipline are impressive. Our grand daughters are comfortable, challenged and will be ready for middle school.

Posted October 25, 2013

My oldest daughter joined Kellond when we moved to the Broadway and Wilmot area 5 years ago and her little sister has followed her path. We have enjoyed watching Kellond grow as a school and a community. The teachers are caring and passionate about their students, the Principal is kind and approachable and the campus improves every year. Both of our daughters have enjoyed afterschool activities such as choir and track. They are proud to be Kellond Cougars and as parents we are too!

Posted October 4, 2013

This is our first year at Kellond in the GATE program, and thus far we love it. After Corbett closed, Kellond was chosen for the east side GATE program. Our child had been at another TUSD school with few GATE students, period (they all eventually left). We knew Kellond was a great fit when we heard the classical music being piped into the hallways! The PTA is fantastic, with a core group of parents who have fund-raisers and events totally organized, and the student-body is a great mix of kids. Our child is thriving in a way he couldn't before. We love his teacher. And, this year, it was rated an "A" school.

Posted March 27, 2013

I am a parent and a teacher and I can not say enough about the how special this school is. I have taught at Kellond for 8 years now and during that time, the school has undergone some incredible changes. The entire school has embraced the Ben's Bells Kindness program and it has made a positive impact on the students and teachers. The school has weekly all school assemblies, where the staff and students gather together, increasing the sense of community. The office staff, teachers, principal and learning support coordinator are incredibly welcoming and approachable. They truly have every child's best interests in mind and make an effort to know each student personally. The parent community is highly involved, with P.T.O. fundraisers bringing major improvements to the school, such as shade structures on the playground. Kellond is an OMA Mentor school, so every student receives and extensive Arts integrated based education. Kellond has an extensive library, two beautiful playgrounds, a computer lab, before and afterschool program, preschool, an active student council, special education services, extra curricular activities such as drama, track and choir, and next year GATE.

Posted October 22, 2012

My daughter is attending this school currently. She is in the first grade. I was concerned at the first two weeks of school because it seemed that my daughter was only going over things she learned last year and not learning anything new. After a few weeks, I began to notice my daughter learning so much about our history, government, ecoscystems, wildlife, grammar, math (especially word problems). Her reading skills is improving each day. We do practice with her at home and discuss what she is enjoying. I think the teachers she had in the last two years are excellent and they really encourage the kids and they do make learning fun.

Posted February 1, 2011

After Rogers Elementary School merged with Kellond Elementary this year, I was unsure how my children would make the transition. It's been a surprisingly good experience with the merger going off without a hitch. We gained a whole new group of friends. The school is an OMA school, which means it has a great music and arts program. The principal Mrs. Gallegos is very involved and accessible to both students and parents. It's a good school and does its best do defy the lukewarm reputation TUSD seems to have in the public eye.

Posted May 25, 2010

This is my childs first completed year in school. Yes, the teachers are great but who is not during sparatic visits. Every thing I tought my 5yr old before she started school was reinforced. Nothing extra was noticed. Home work was cancelled the 2nd wk of school. It was breaks and snacks before lunch and play time, thereafter. My child would have been just another percentage if and behind a year, if I didnt home school her. She gained social school being the only child, but Academics NO.

Posted January 25, 2009

The teachers are all very nice, and there is a lot of extra activity options available (OMA, Good Choices) yet, I feel that there's no one within the school who takes the time to stop and work with my daughter to teach her in a way she will learn best. It feels very one-appraoch fits all. Nice school, but I am looking to change for next year.

Posted October 27, 2008

I think the reviews of this school has given it a bad impression. My kids have had an wonderful experience at Kellond. The teachers are very hard working and dedicated. They have an afterschool program 2 days a week that is run by the teachers. The principal is very approachable. The PTO is pretty small, run by a few parents. I think that more parents need to be involved.

Posted February 7, 2008

I taught at this school for one semester. It was an amazing experience. The teachers and administration truly care for the students and their programs (art, music, computers, etc) are all once a week.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 30, 2007

well I agree that the 'new' Principal has made things less friendly and less progressive.she is very un-approachable and in 5 years and having had two kids go there I still have never had a face to face talk with her about anything. Recently i thought I was set to have a meeting with her but she sent her asst. out to talk with me at the last minute. I think most of the teachers are pretty good.we've had some excellent ones for my kids.

Posted August 29, 2007

Sad to say, but this school rapidly went downhill when a new principal took over ~5 years ago. I don't know if this school can be salvaged. Let's hope so. I'm just terribly sad it imploded & I had to take my children elsewhere. I would have loved to stay in my neighborhood school.

Posted May 7, 2006

Annie Kellond Elementary School really has a lot of problems. There are some good teachers and some tremendously poor teachers at the school. In general, the environment is negative. As may be typical in a public school, there is not a lot of challenge for the more gifted children. Gifted pullouts are only an hour per week. If I had it to do over, I would have sent my son to a private or charter school.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (520) 584-5101

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now