Posted April 24, 2014
My child is in the gifted program at Canyon View and we are regularly asked "why not send her to Basis?" Well, our primary reason is that she LOVES this school. Additionally, we feel she is challenged and kept on her toes by all her teachers. The staff and teachers work together to make this a top rated elementary school!

Canyon View Elementary School 2

Posted April 23, 2014
This school is not that great anymore. Very nice staff and teachers but not challenging at all. My child is board and has become very lazy since the expectations are so low. 10 minutes of homework in 4th grade (at the most). It has gotten progressively worse over the years that we have been there with our children. This is the worst year yet. The new principal is a great talker, very charismatic but we don't see any improvement in the classroom. Lots of hype around the community events but less meaningful work in the 8 years we have had children at the school. I don't recommend this school especially if you are from a decent school district elsewhere. you will be underwhelmed.

Canyon View Elementary School 3

Posted April 21, 2014
Canyon View is an okay school. Not a lot of diversity and some of the teachers can be off putting. It is a must that you stay involved and connected to your child at this school as they can derail them is allowed to.

Posted October 24, 2013
This school and school district (Catalina Foothills Unified School District) has been am is nothing short of a blessing. Principal Hienkman is the most amazing administrator and man and the entire school staff and teachers are so wonderful! My son is in the first grade and is on the autism spectrum. His growth and development in the inclusive setting at Canyon View has been wonderful and miraculous. Also, the international diversity of the families and students is so wonderful and enriching. I can't thank this school enough and couldn't be more proud of the fact that my son attends CVES!

Posted August 07, 2013
We were very happy with my son's kindergarten teacher last year and are excited for another great year.

Posted June 07, 2013
Great school! Friendly, kind people who care about all of the students. Common core standards are being taught. There is a challenging curriculum that keeps students at all levels moving forward at a just right pace. They are allowed to move to higher faster paced classes and also get interventions as needed. Music, PE, Art and Spanish are treated as seriously as math, reading, science and social studies which makes a well rounded kid! There is great community involvement and the FFO and staff plan fun extracurricular events. The focus is on educating the whole child, not just obtaining a test score. I have three kids here and feel lucky to be giving them such a great, well rounded education.

Posted April 13, 2013
I have had two children graduate from Canyon View and one currently is enrolled. Canyon View prepared my children very well for middle school. My son ended up being 2 1/2 grade levels ahead in math by the time he finished Canyon View and qualified for an extended Curriculum in Social Studies and Spanish at the middle school level. My daughter is now excelling in the local high school in a rigorous college prep track. We were initially enrolled in private school for 4 years and felt that the education was better (yes, better) in public school especially in math, science and technology. We are very happy and love to give back to this school by volunteering as our way of saying, "Thank You".

Posted April 12, 2013
Canyon View Elementary. We had plenty of good options when looking where to send our oldest daughter to school when it was time for her to start Kindergarten. We chose Canyon View based on its reputation and feel. We have a second grader and kindergartener, and I am so happy to say that we have not questioned our decision once. The staff at Canyon View is incredible - from the secretary, to the teachers, to the Principal. A+ school!

Posted March 13, 2013
Every child experiences a rewarding outcome at Canyon View. Located in the foothills of the Catalinas and in a safe neighborhood, Canyon View has a great learning environment. Even if you are not considering this school for your child, I would encourage you to talk to Mr. Henikman, the principal, and you'd get an idea on how a school's success depends on its leadership. You can spot him immediately almost every morning, greeting the kids by their names. Barring my child's teacher this year, which is an aberration (the reason I gave 4 stars for teacher quality), Canyon View is full of friendly, highly experienced, and encouraging teachers. The extended math program is top notch. The extended language arts is far ahead compared to other schools including the one touted as top in nation. Spanish, Music & Art would exceed your expectations. Parental involvement is highly encouraged. In my opinion the staff is one of the most friendliest you'd ever come across. I'm already looking forward for another great and exciting year. Overall, we are very happy with this school in particular and the district in general.

Posted March 06, 2013
I have been a parent at Canyon View Elementary School for several years and my children have received an excellent education, particularly in math, science, technology and the arts. It's clear how the school is centered around students from the very beginning. In Kindergarten, the teaching team kept my sons engaged using everything from iPads and creative play. In First Grade, the teachers identified that my sons needed some extra help, which they received through Imagine Learning and Read Strong. By Second Grade, a teacher really believed in my son's abilities and she promoted him to an extended math program. His math skills exploded! My other son loved poetry, so his teacher asked him to write her a poem every week , eventually entering him into the district poetry contest. By Fifth grade, the kids are doing everything from running the school video announcements to performing in the outstanding 5th grade band. Mr. Henikman, the principal, is a dynamic leader who makes sure the school's focus stays on the kids. My sons think he's just great; they love how he greets them by name every morning.

Canyon View Elementary School
5725 N. Sabino Canyon Rd., Tucson, AZ  85750
Last modified Canyon View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Canyon View Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 23 reviews.