Esperero Canyon Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 603 students

Posted yesterday

My granddaughter seems very happy at Esperero and is doing much better with school work.

Posted November 6, 2014

I am a former student at ECMS. Gladly. The teachers are inattentive and get extremely infuriated if you sigh in a way they don't find pleasing. I was always being knocked around by my bigger peers, my books would fall then they'd kick them around...(etc) The teachers did not teach well in ANY way, shape or form. Which makes the entire experience feel like you're just 'getting by'. As if you aren't truly learning anything, but you get to say, "Hey guess what? I technically passed middle school!" Without having the slightest of a happy, educational and inspiring experience. Which is what school was meant for; to enlighten our youth. But schools are losing sight of that. So when some of my peers enter the workforce, they wont be able to function properly: no cooperating. no teamwork. no positivity. no motivation. THX ECMS, for letting me know what a depressing and sad attempt at an 'education system' looks like. I mean the least they can do is teach kids what "there/their/they're" to use. I mean, I learned homophones at ORE, another horrid school...

Posted November 5, 2014

This school is over crowded. The teachers do not get back to you in a timely manner. They run their classrooms (in general) like farm, herding kids in and out with very little education and guidance. The lockers are disgusting and peers are very mean and not welcoming to new students.

Posted April 6, 2014

I'm Nadine walker and I love esperero canyon middle school they teach you many things like to be kind and helpful. While you learn you will have so much fun with your teachers. You should know basics. I love the teachers and staff. My school could improve to be a little more brighter in ideas in dances and fun things!

Posted March 12, 2014

Esperero Canyon has been an incredible experience for our boys. They have not only excelled academically, but these incredible teachers have taught them invaluable tools to progress independently to the next level and become self sufficient. They also have encouraged growth on personal and emotional levels. It is no wonder that the teacher of the year usually comes from ECMS. We built in District 16 so as not to be forced into 'private' schools to attain academic and developmental excellence, and they have not disappointed. The Principal, staff, and the parents' tremendous involvement, support, and concern for the overall well being of the students sets this school apart from the rest.

Posted January 14, 2014

This school is a great place for kids to learn. I am so pleased at all of the programs offered. The school has great science and math classes, more nationally board certified teachers than any other school in the district, the best of instruction in the arts that a middle schooler could ever receive. The special education teachers are awesome and the principal understands both high achieving students and special education students, a rare find. The administration cares about my kids and knows them by name. We are so happy with this school. Cannot say enough good things about my children's experiences!!! It is getting better all of the time. They have tutoring and help for students!!!! A beautiful place where kids get a great education. PE is also awesome!!! My kid had a print out of his fitness statistics at age 12!!!!! Also so many computers and people who know how to teach using technology!!!!

Posted May 21, 2013

An overcrowded promotion ceremony sends a mixed message about who in the community is valued. Last night, May 20, 2013, there were so many seats reserved for "parents who volunteer", I had to stand. It was bizarre. The teachers did not have seats and stood along the walls of the gym . I felt bad for them, but I was trapped too. If students are the stars of the night, in my opinion, the family membersof those students need to be shown respect.

Posted March 8, 2013

I think the huge number of Open Enrollment students, particularly from the neighboring, Fruchtlender Elem., is encouraging a negative environment at ECMS, both socially and academically. Math classes, in particular, are being remediated because these TUSD kids cannot keep up. Socially, there is a very different vibe coming from the TUSD kids (ie: Fruchtlender) than what CFSD families promote. CFSD is a school district with families who value high achievement in ACADEMICS; not social climbing (laughable). Fruchtlender families need to go to Townsend where they belong. Superintendent Kamerzell has created this unhealthy learning environment with her emphasis on open enrollment. Fire Kamerzell first.

Posted October 15, 2012

This school is way too overcrowded at this point. The number of open enrollment students allowed in is overwhelming. Not only is the school too crowded from sheer numbers, but now there is a different sense of community being promoted from those children coming from TUSD schools, primarily Fruchtlender. I do not believe this overcrowding of the classroom or the "crowding out" of people who live in CFSD is in the best interest of the community or Esperero Canyon Middle School. I am profoundly disappointed with the overall quality of education compared to that of my two older children, who both attended CFSD middle schools pre-2007. Crowded classrooms is not the way to a good education and ECMS kids are suffering because of it. AIMS scores keep declining. What else is going on in this school?

Posted September 5, 2012

I am a student at Esperero Canyon Middle School. Last year, when I was in 6th grade I loved Esperero and I felt very welcome. This year, as a 7th grader, I haven't been as happy going to school everyday. Overall it is a good school and has taught me many things however, sometimes I feel the teachers are unfair. I feel I am getting a good education but I do not like the arts program. At Esperero I am taught things that I know will help me succeed in life but if I were principal I would change a few things. I do recommend Esperero.

Posted June 24, 2012

Esperero has aspects that are positive and negative. I believe the location is wonderful, where kids would be able to take short field trips to Sabino Canyon if the Principal would arrange that. Some teachers are supportive and effective. However other teachers are unable to teach kids. My child when she finished 5th grade had a 6 on her Writing AIMS however in 6th grade it dropped to a 5 and now after 7th grade it has dropped to a 4, barely meeting the standards. This makes my child distraught because she strives to exceeds and realizes that despite her effort, her level of writing has decreased greatly. Moving on to the administrators. I find that the new Principal did not meet my standards. She is artificial and does not care about the students or parents. The Principal has brought unrest to Esperero, and it is difficult to explain the things that she has done that I find uncomprehendable. I wish that she was not in charge of the school, however my child enjoys the classes for the most part, and the atmosphere is far better than other options for middle schools.

Posted March 16, 2012

My child is attending this school for the first time. I am very impressed with the teachers as well as the curriculum. My child loves it.

Posted October 29, 2011

Esperero has had a huge drop in AIMS test scores (as much as 18% in 2011), and recently got a B score from the Arizona Dept of Ed. Class sizes can be as large as 30.

Posted July 7, 2009

We recently moved out of CFSD and we loved Esperero. Any student will be lucky and privledged to go there. Awesome teachers and great education

Posted August 9, 2008

I love Esperero! The teachers,counselors, and principal are extremely dedicated and caring. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts, the teachers' workloads have increased, but they continue to give their best efforts. The curriculum is definitely challenging. I feel that Esperero is comparable to many private schools. My younger son graduates from Esperero this year, and I am going to be sad to say goodbye to this amazing school! I highly recommend it.

Posted July 31, 2008

My daughter goes to ECMS and the truth is that there are some amazing teachers there but then again there are some that don't want to help my daughter succeed. She is very academically driven and sometimes the stress can drive her crazy. She still has amazing friends at this place you call school.

Posted July 18, 2008

this school is terrible despte what the 'friendly staff' say and make you think the teachers are very unsupportive and unmotivatiol as well the dicsipline policy is ridiculous at esperero your son or daughter may get in trouble for the smallest slip-ups although its a very bad school they have a few good teachers and good encore classes otherwise bad.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 18, 2008

Im am a student at esperero canyon middle school. I've had some good and bad experiences there. There is one teacherwho has stood out to me, and his name is Mr. Grobe. He is one of the best teachers I've ever had. I sometimes feel that the teachers here are unfair. And you dont always feel like you fit in. Over all this is an okay school. I would love to see some improvements.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 2, 2007

Great Principal, Great Teachers, all very dedicated to the students. High parental involvement. Fantastic music, arts and sports programs. A bit too much emphasis on homework and Student Lead Conferences (most parents would prefer to meet directly with the teachers), but overall a 5 Star school with all the attributes you'd want.

Posted May 11, 2006

Esperero was a great place to work - the staff are helpful and supportive to the kids' needs!
—Submitted by a teacher

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Science

n/a
Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 10%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)

Fax number
  • (520) 577-5334

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge