Fruchthendler Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted May 26, 2014

My child had a wonderful experience this past year. He was struggling in math and his teacher stayed after school and tutored him until he understood the math. I see so many teachers with the same commitment. My teacher keeps updated with my child progress. She had been very supported of my child and other children. These teachers work hard to meet the student needs whether it is academics or behavior. Yes, I understand that parents are nervous that there has been so many changes at Fruchthendler, however the staff and the teachers are the ones that are there for our children no matter what changes happen. My family is committed to providing a good education to our children and Fruchthendler is that place.

Posted September 19, 2013

Going down hill and fast. We bought a house in the Fruchthlender boundaries before our kids were born as we heard it was top notch. After just one year there we learned otherwise. Class sizes are huge, parents are not welcoming to new families. I felt like I was back in high school everyone was so clickish. My child was bullied on the playground and the issue was never resolved. We have since left for a school out of district and are very happy. It's amazing how many people I meet around town or at our current school that have also pulled their kids out of Fruchthlender. I sure hope TUSD fixes things quick and turns this school back around.

Posted October 30, 2012

Fruchtendler has excellent teachers devoted to educating the entire class with a variety of methods and approaches to the materials. Mr. Heidel expects and maintains a courteous, respectful learning environment for students, faculty and staff while still allowing kids to be kids. Thanks to the commitment of the school community (parents, administration and teachers) there is a commitment to developing the whole person required subjects plus art, PE, music and clubs.

Posted August 12, 2012

On the first day of class, my daughter's teacher said "I don't like parents they make me nervous" Great welcome! All attempts to volunteer were rebuked. Classrooms are tiny and kids are packed like sardines. Students are instructed in writing class that spelling does not matter, yet when given spelling tests if they handwriting is poor (even if the word spelled correctly) they are marked as incorrect. In other words, to quote a movie "what do I think of your method? I see no method!" " After school care- kids run wild in a darkened room. Big kids bully the younger kids. Big kids continue bullying on little kids on bus rids home. Bus driver does not care. If you want to torture your kid, this is the school to go to. The comments about "being the swellest place on earth" are inconsistent with my observations. And I am a teacher myself. Just transferred to CFSD. Night and day difference. You would not believe you are in the same country.

Posted June 2, 2012

Fruchthendler is a Superior School! Just like many things in life there are many choices and what is a good fit for some isn't a good fit for others. I would encourage anyone to find what is best for THEIR child. I chose this amazing school! Mr. Heidel, the Teachers, the Staff,and the Parents are the most selfless, giving, loyal, committed people in the world to the children. It is ALL about the children! The students are provided everything to be well rounded, educated, loving and giving kids. No matter how hard WE all have to work. The school has large class numbers BECAUSE it is so amazing. How fortunate that we do have parent volunteers that LOVE coming into the school. Volunteering in this school is not a job, it is a joy and that is why there are so many parents. They WANT to come to this school and help in any way they can! This school is like a family, and I feel fortunate every day.

Posted May 23, 2012

My son just completed his first year at Fruchthendler (Kinder). We were very pleased with the school and his teacher, who in my opinion did not display the negative characteristics others have written about on this website. Quite the contrary- I found her to be very committed to learning, had a good attitude and cared about the children. Perhaps that changes in time with other grades - I don't know. I can see what other writers are talking about in regards to the parental socializing, but I could care less about that. As long as my son is happy, and I feel he is learning we will continue at Fruchthendler next year.

Posted April 26, 2012

It's humorous that a reviewer below said Fruchthendler is a "top notch school" with a "true community environment." This could not be further from the truth. We had our children at this school for two years and what a complete and utter waste of an education. The school has been turned into a daily social event for staff & parents with educating students as a low priority. Parents that believe this school to be great have blinders on or simply can't stop talking to other adults to pay attention to the multiple problems that exist at this school and as a district on a whole. Problems that do arise are swept under the rug because the staff either lacks the ability to handle it or they no longer care which seems to be the common theme in TUSD. If the principal is telling you to leave or pull your child out of this school like the reviewer explained before me, I would take their advice and walk away with your child whether they are gifted or not. Fruchthendler is a poorly run and staffed school and I am thankful that we transferred our children to CFSD which continues to be a very easy process. The staff & teachers in CFSD are professional, hard working and caring. Way to go CFSD!

Posted March 30, 2012

Its seems that a number of parents have found that certain teachers have an extreme bias against male students. Complaints to the principal result in a simple response: If you don't like it leave.

Posted October 28, 2011

My children attended this school for several years until we transferred them into district 16. What a great decision that was! I still have lots of friends whose kids go to this school but I also know a lot of families that have transferred out. Overall I think families that attend Fruchtendler believe it to be a great school not because of the teachers (average at best), principal (below average), facilities (horrible), or district (worst in town). Rather, it's strength is in it's family community. However, while it's nice to socialize before and after school with all the parents, the reality is the education is substandard. Most of the classes have at least two room moms that help teach the class since the size is so large and the teachers aren't very proactive. Because funding for TUSD is virtually nonexistent, art, PE, recess, and librarians are staffed by parents. Families think Fruchtendler is fantastic because they don't realize what else is out there. As a parent of two children who have been at both schools now for over two years I can honestly say that I would never return to TUSD or Fruchtendler.

Posted September 5, 2011

This is an elementary school that provides a true community environment. The teachers love their jobs and it shows in the work of the students and the environment. The academics and extra curricular activities re meaningful and well thought out. The homework is designed to reinforce not simply a ditto sheet! Way to go Fruchthendler!!

Posted April 25, 2011

Fruchthendler is amazing. The education is top notch, they are teaching the children to play violin in the 4th grade (amazing!) and the students respect one another. After moving to Tucson 3 years ago, my son has gone to 5 different schools including Fruchthendler. We left 2 schools due to the education provided (horrible!), 1 school dues to bullying, and 1 school due to both education and bullying.

Posted March 10, 2010

your information on this school is incorrect. my child is in the fourth grade and there are 33 students in her class......!!!!!!!

Posted February 18, 2010

As the standards in TUSD become lower and lower, Fruchtendler continues to keep the bar high. The parent envolvement is easily apparent, the teachers are top of the line, and they are exceptionally committed to ensuring that each and every student comprehends the material. After sedning both my children there, I could not be more pleased with the atmosphere and the and the commitment to excellence at the school.

Posted September 7, 2009

During my daughters preschool years, I was 100% certain that I was going to put her in a private school. As the time to go to kindergarten drew near I toured three private schools and our neighborhood school, Fructhendler. Right off the bat, I realized Fructhendler was right for her! There is such a feeling of 'community' at Fruchthendler that was not evident at the other schools. We are now into our 4th year at Fructhendler!! Mr. Heidel is a wonderful principal. He is right there......literally, when you need him. No question or comment is silly. He takes action as needed. The teachers are perfect!! In fact, my daughters teacher last year had her come in early one morning each week to work on her reading with her. Now that is dedication!! I cannot say enought about the Fruchthendler community and just what an important part of our lives it is!

Posted September 4, 2009

Fruchthendler is a fabulous public school that combines the best of education, parent involvement and student dedication. Our teachers are top notch and our children are pushed to exceed every day. We are so lucky that this is our neighborhood school!!!!

Posted September 4, 2009

The administration is great! The teachers are wonderful. I have been so happy with this school that I have postponed sending my kids to private school.

Posted September 3, 2009

Fruchthendler Elementary recently received the prestigious A+ school designation and is always rated as an Excelling School. Test scores here are always on top. You can't go wrong with this wonderful neighborhood school! There is great parent support, terrific school leadership/teachers, wonderful kids, and an amazing energy that you feel here from the first moment you walk into the door. We are glad that our child could attend this school for elementary.

Posted June 18, 2009

This was a great school for my son. He learned so much in his six years at Fruchthendler, and now my daughter is going and loves all of the exciting activites they have to offer.

Posted May 16, 2009

Skeptical about the public school system in Tucson, I was afraid of sending my daughter to any elementary school here but Fruchthendler has blown me away. I honestly feel that this school is better than the private school I once debated sending her to. The teachers here are caring and fair, yet vigilant in preparing their students academically. The principal, Mr. Heidel, can be seen on a daily basis in the halls and classrooms, and chatting cheerily with parents and staff. The school is clean and safe, and parent involvement and support is very high. You really can't go wrong here.

Posted April 21, 2009

An neighborhood elementary school doing an AMAZING job with a reputation for providing a well rounded education in the midst of poor state funding and commitment to public education! KUDOS!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7470 E Cloud Rd