Magee Middle School 2

Posted May 19, 2014
How quickly and how far Magee has fallen! My oldest daughter (now a Junior at Sabino) went to Magee and we were pleased with the teachers and the principal. They were strict yet caring and dedicated. In the two years since the change in leadership, we have watched this school tumble. My youngest daughter is about to complete 6th grade at Magee and we have decided she won't be returning. The few teachers that do care (or did care) are leaving. (Yes, the band was amazing, but even that teacher is leaving). The classrooms are crowded, the staff is overwhelmed and simply don't care anymore. Unfortunately, it is the students who are paying the price. The good teachers are moving on. The principal is simply not nice to deal with and I never got the feeling he cared about any of the kids or our concerns as parents (and yes, we have brought them to his attention - many times). I pains me to see a child go from enthusiastic about school to hating it. We will be moving her out of Magee in hopes of rekindling that spark.

Posted December 06, 2013
This school has gone down hill the last few years. I understand that there has been budget cuts for TUSD, but it is reflecting on these kids education. This school does not provide text books for the children, some teachers provide xerox book pages for students. If a child does not complete classwork they do not have a text book to take home to complete the assignment. Some of the teachers my children have had are extremely helpful and pick up the slack for others. This school has become worse the last couple years probably due to other TUSD schools closing and now the classes are more overcrowded than before. The front office is extremely rude and lacks communication skills with parents. The new principal has yet to show leadership for the school. Check out other districts or charter schools before thinking of registering your child here. Great schools rate Magee at 5. poor rating.

Posted September 12, 2013
This school is great!, it has its ups and downs but overall it's a great middle school.the teachers are understanding(for the most part) and another are the field trips and clubs. DC club great ODYSSEY of the mind also very great it is a nice school they also have a anti-bulling campaign that's why I give 5 stars

Posted May 20, 2013
Magee used to be a great school. I've attended Magee since the sixth grade. The old principal was great, but he's recently retired. Our new principal is the rudest man I've ever met in my life, quite literally. When I address him with problems, he sends me back to class. He introduced the 'PRIDE' program to Magee last year which has done nothing but harm. I had accumulated these PRIDE hours, and was never told about them. Come the end of this year, I'm now not allowed to walk at graduation, participate in the 8th grade end-of-the-year activities, or get a yearbook that was paid for. The school staff is never helpful and does nothing but harass students. This is the end of my eighth grade year, thank goodness. Do NOT enroll your child at Magee - the school has changed for the worst.

Posted December 15, 2012
Great teachers who actually care about student achievement! Leadership is also a positive influence on learning.

Posted November 07, 2012
We have nothing but great things to say about Magee. Both the principal, assistant principal are doing a wonderful job. Also we have had some of the best teachers ever! We are proud of this school.

Posted January 28, 2012
I am so happy to see that I am not the only one having problems at Magee. I am very surprised that more parents aren't saying anything about this. I am having a second meeting with all 6 teachers as well as the principal because my child "doodles" on her papers. If this is the worst behavior going on at this school then they should be very proud indeed! My daughter and I feel that we are being picked on and bullied by the staff. I have never had any positive feedback from any of them and only negative. She also got in "trouble" for reading in class. I don't feel comfortable discouraging my child from reading. I hope more parents will come forward and speak about this unfair treatment of our children. I don't want to pull my daughter out in the middle of the school year...but she will NOT be returning next year.

Posted January 17, 2012
For the first time in my daughter's life she came home crying and screaming that she hated school!!!!! Their "Pride" program takes punishment to a whole new level. If they forget anything, a pencil or even a sharpened pencil or a piece of paper they get detention and the parent has to put their job in serious danger to pick up their child from detention daily because they can't ride the bus home. I totally disagree with this program they have gone too far. Very unhappy parent I won't take the chance on losing my business because someone can't lend my daughter a pencil to write with especially when other kids are stealing them from my daughter. And what of the "No Child Left Behind" crock that I now have to pay for a tutor that I can't afford. She dreamed of becoming a surgeon and now wants to drop out of school. Totally disappointed in this school. NO HELP HERE!

Posted September 10, 2011
The teachers are wonderful and nice. They definitely know how to teach the students in a fun and exciting way. The band program there is amazing teaching high school level music in their wind ensemble (advanced band).

Posted August 05, 2010
I had a child at Magee last year. It was a great experience for us. A principal who was quick to help resolve any issue, teachers who really care about the students, the best band/orchestra I have ever seen in a middle school, the D.C. Club which culminates in a trip to D.C. at the end of the year, other great field trips, parent nights, etc. We were so pleased that we made the decision to put our child at Magee. I have to say this was one of the first years with all of my children in school that I haven't had any negative issues. Wow. We, obviously love Magee. A great big thank you to the principal and all of the fantastic staff at Magee.

Magee Middle School
8300 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ  85710
Last modified Magee Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Magee Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top