Mesa Verde Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 366 students

Posted November 4, 2011

My son is in 5th grade at Mesa Verde and has attended since 1st. Compared to his kindergarten school, Rio Vista, I LOVE Mesa Verde. The principal, Mr. Hepler, is awesome and very involved with students. He is always out and about on campus and knows all the kids by name. In fact, as it is such a small school, my son knows all the faculty and they all know him. They do have various community building activities which I think help to make this a great school. Teachrs all seem to care but some are just plain better than others, which is true of any school. The one thing I wish was better is communication between parents and teachers. I know the Amphi school district is working on a portal website for online access to student records, such as homework and assignments, and hopefully this helps.

Posted January 12, 2011

It's time to change the School's official name... Does "Christina GREEN Elementary School" sound appropriate?

Posted October 13, 2010

I used to work at Mesa Verde Elementary as a Teacher's Assistant with special needs kids. All of the teachers were so hard-working,dedicated, creative, and supportive to the kids in meeting their educational goals, and the kids themselves were wonderful to work with!

Posted May 25, 2010

I felt a little isolated at this school as far as connecting with parents and teachers. My daughter's class did not take parent volunteers (I think Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade classes should always take volunteers, studies show how kids self esteem improves with volunteers, and this gives the kids more individualized help and attention.)

Posted August 27, 2009

As a parent of a Mesa Verde 4th grader, we are extremely pleased with the school, teachers, and administration. Our experience over the last 4 years has been excellent. My wife and I would recommend Mesa Verde for any age/grade. Thank you Mesa Verde teachers and staff.

Posted August 23, 2009

My daughter is in the 4th grade this year and has attended Mesa Verde for 4 years. This is an excellent school and she is excited to go every school day. The teachers and staff are great and all call her by her first name. This school is like one big family. I wish they offered pre-school for my son.

Posted January 11, 2009

My son is in kindergarten at Mesa Verde this year, and we are very happy with our experiences so far. His teacher (Ms. Boreson) is great, and always makes a point to keep us aware of his progress. He had a little trouble adjusting to being in a school environment, and she came up with a great plan to help him transition. She is great with all of the kids. I really can't say enough good things about her!

Posted October 7, 2008

Mesa Verde has been a great school for my child. The school is small, so everyone knows everyone. It is great to hear all of the staff call my child by name. My child is in the third grade and has attended Mesa Verde since the First grade. All of her teachers have been great. I would recommend this school to anyone who lives in the area.

Posted August 26, 2008

My daughter just started Kindergarten and she loves this school. I have been very satisfied with things thus far. This school keeps up with old traditions such as school picnics to keep the spirit up. It reminds of my old elementary school out of state.

Posted May 14, 2008

I can only say great things about Mesa Verde Elementary. My kids have attended this school for 2 years. The teachers are great- I only had one problem with one teacher which is no longer with the school and when I did have a problem the principal intervened and helped me move my daughter to a new class. The special education department is wonderful, the principal is wonderful and goes out of his way to help, the office staff is friendly and very helpful. I can't say things good enough. Unfortunately we have to move across town and my children won't be able to attend Mesa Verde anymore but if I could I would send them here until middle school and continue to send my other kids here as well. You won't have any regrets sending your child to this school.

Posted January 9, 2008

My child has been enrolled in this school for 4 years. Teachers are 'hit or miss' as far as our experience. 2 wonderful teachers, 1 that should be nowhere near children & one that means well - but might just need more experience with children's needs. I would not give this school my recommendation.

Posted December 28, 2007

Mesa Verde is a wonderfu school. The principal cares about each student. There teachers are awesome, especially Mr. Govig. I love this school and would recommend it to all.

Posted July 7, 2007

We have never lived within district boundaries of Mesa Verde, but recieved such a high recommendation, I decided to send my son there. I have been so impressed and my son has been so happy, that he had been attending through open-enrollment for for the past five years! We love Mesa Verde.

Posted September 15, 2006

Mesa Verde School demonstrates quality education for our children. The principal exhibits child-centered leadership-- the teachers we have met so far have high expectations for our children's learning potentials. Barbara Borich

Posted April 4, 2006

My son entered the 2nd grade transitioning from the 1st grade in NYC The Principal (Mr. Hepler), Staff (Ms. Walsh), his Teacher (Ms. Hut) were simply terrific on every level, academically & psycho-socially. And, yes, Parent involvement is extremely valued/encouraged!

Posted February 3, 2006

This is a great school. The teachers and staff are wonderful.

Posted January 28, 2006

Mesa Verde is an excellent public elementary school, the majority of the teachers are very committed and the principal is the best I have ever encountered.

Posted September 11, 2005

In the short time my son has been enrolled at Mesa Verde, I have been very happy. The teachers and administration are helpful, courteous, and care about the students.

Posted May 25, 2004

Mesa Verde has been a great experience for my son. The Teachers are helpful and take the time to learn about each student and their needs. The class rooms show the achievement of all the students on the walls for the year. The office staff and Teachers make you feel welcome at all times. I am proud to have my children go to Mesa Verde.

Posted January 20, 2004

This is what elementary school should be. They provide a campus where the children are safe and respectful and where parents feel welcome to participate in all aspects of their childrens education.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1661 W Sage