Our Mother of Sorrows School

Private | PK-8

Living in Tucson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $113,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $770.

Sweep tile

Posted January 17, 2014

My family is very happy here....the curriculum is up to date, most teachers are happy and effective, technology is on par with public schools, and the principal seems to value fine arts (they have a music and art program....not a lot of time, but any is better than none!)

Posted September 16, 2012

This is a TERRIBLE school. The teachers are always yelling and I don't even think they like children. When I walk in the hallway, I always hear yelling. All this school cares about is money, not the children. The staff is un-organized, and they aren't very patient with the kids. Some kids are rude and annoying. I have to actually teach my child when she comes home, for she learns NOTHING at school. The principal does actually nothing, and the parents are required to volunteer a certain amount of hours or pay more. I mean, we have jobs, you know! We can't waste or time volunteering just so we can pay less! I moved her to Soleng Tom, and she is an amazing student there. OMOS is a complete waste on money. Don't go there!

Posted July 2, 2012

My daughter has been at this school since pre-school. My experiences over the past 11 years have been nothing but positive. The academic excellence, parent/teacher involment, and Catholic faith is a strong building foundation for this school. I am proud to say that my child attended this school. The discipline and self worth she has learned about her character and faith truly makes me believe that children can act accordingly in life. Thanks to OMOS and our parenting skills, my daughter is truly prepared for what high school brings. It has been a pure blessing and the best investment I have made regarding her future.

Posted October 15, 2011

All 4 of my boys attended OMOS (1 attended the Preschool only). We have since left but I have to say Mrs. Feaman and all of the Jr. High teachers were terrific. I also have to say the Ms. Nitka and Ms. Ezzre were also terrific. I do think the curriculum should be revamped from time to time because my younger children were bringing home the same exact work as my older children did in their grade. The art program was wonderful and my boys miss their school. Overall we had a good experience when we were at OMOS.

Posted October 3, 2011

We came from another state with previous experience in public school, charter school, and home schooling- in an effort to challenge our kids. OMOS has really been a Godsend both in terms of educational standards and quality and responsible, community formation! If you are looking for a new school, this is a great choice!

Posted September 6, 2011

I have two children who attend OMOS. I took them out of TUSD in 2009 due to all of the issues that the public schools were having. My kids have learned so much, however, it hasn't been a piece of cake. There are commitments that apply to attending this school. I am okay with that. I have really grown in the matter of , "being more aware". I read one of the reviews listed and it stated "you get out what you put in". That hits it right on the head

Posted September 2, 2011

I could not be more thrilled with the school and community experience here for our family. The principal is educated, intelligent, fair-minded and easy to work with. The faculty are supportive and encouraging to my children, and the staff are very responsive to our needs. Absolutely worth the financial sacrifice to send our children here.

Posted August 23, 2011

Overall, I am thrilled with the educational experience my two children receive at OMOS. The teachers are willing to talk with the parents and walk through any issues or concerns. The principal is easy to talk to and is results-oriented. We also parish there, and the sense of community is unbelievable if you are involved. What I would like to remind people is that you get out what you put in! OMOS-school and parish-has a wonderful sense of community, really tied into the Catholic Social Teachings. Highly recommend!!!

Posted July 19, 2011

The only thing worth sending my kid to OMOS for was the art program and the art teacher-my daughter loved every minute of it, learned a lot that will help her in the future, and LOVED Mrs. Baker!!!

Posted May 15, 2011

This school could not teach either one of my kids to read. They had me sign a form saying that I acknowledge this. When I took them to a different school they are both A+ students and much happier. They both complained that kids were mean there. The accounting is always a mess. They nickel and dime you for everything, and they have usually put another families bills with yours and them refuse to give your child their report card because the parent owes money. Not very Christian if you ask me.

Posted January 18, 2011

My 2 children went to this school for 2 years and it was nothing but nightmarish for me! My son being ADHD struggled and none of the teachers even tried to help. My daughter who is very well behaved, fell short in reading and again received no help. When I told the teacher I was pulling them out of the school and putting them back in public school, the teacher said, "Oh good, now she will get the help she needs!" I was floored! For the money I paid, my daughter should have never fallen through the cracks. On top of that, the principal offered no help and he acted like he could have cared less that I was pulling my children out of the school. I am a proud Catholic who continues to attend church here and my kids now attend church school on Sundays but I would NOT recommend this school to anyone who is considering!

Posted March 21, 2010

We have two daughters in attendance here and have had nothing but good experiences. The principal has really updated the school with technology in the last few years. It would be nice to have A/C though, but that still doesn't detour us from sending the girls to this wonderful school where the Holy Spirit is very present.

Posted February 8, 2010

My son has been going here for 5 years and we have only had one teacher that he has actually liked. The communication between teacher and parent is lacking, as well as the communication between teacher and student. This is the first year my son has ever gotten a D and when I went to the teachers to find a solution, they couldn't come up with one. They just said it was common for his age. Seems to me that the teachers are stuck in one way of teaching and have a difficult time of thinking outside of the box. Every child learns differently and it is their job to find out how that is and adapt their teaching to the children. The class sizes are too big and the sports program leaves something to be desired. The coach tries but has no support from the school.

Posted November 25, 2009

I love it! The whole school is very dedicated to the community. It's worth every penny!

Posted August 16, 2009

OMOS is great!And I do not agree with the bad ratings!It's fantastic!The teachers do not pick favorites!No families are mean,and if they were then oh well!The school has many fun events,great teachers,lots of honor students,and a totally awesome field!

Posted August 11, 2009

I am extremely disappointed for having wasted mine and my children's time with OMOS. I seriously wonder what they are doing with the tuition money; the facility is dilapidated and disorganized. There is also a high level of mandated parent involvement. This includes escrip and school gruntwork. We attended several of the school functions and received nothing but the 'cold shoulder' from many of the veteran families. I would not recommend this school to friends or family.

Posted November 20, 2008

We have supported 4 graduates and 1 child currently thru OMOS. The education they have recieved prepared my kids for success in high school. With the moral base @ home and supported @ school, the children graduate with high regards for themselves and other. My oldest graduated from the U of A and is a teacher, my 2nd oldest will graduate next Fall from the U of A and will be a teacher also. My point is that this school means what it says 'Hard work Pays Off' . How important are your kids to you ?

Posted November 20, 2008

I love OMOS. The principle is great and only does what is right for the kids. I curently have two children at the school and one graduate. The academics are so good that when my graduate went into high school he was bored with freshman English so he put himself into Gate English. He is in Geometry in his freshman year and doing great. I love the fact that they instill a good moral base and strong academics to produce a good citizen. I have two more great kids to support in this school and am glad to do it. Its worth paying the tuition for a great education.

Posted May 15, 2008

My children attended OMOS when Sr. Lauren Moss was the principal. I had waited in the enrollment line to get my children in OMOS.(when there was a waiting list to get into OMOS) When Sr. Lauren left, I found the school to have not been the same since. I feel it was a loss to lose Sr. Lauren and her assistant Mrs Shadonix. They made the school. I am grateful my kids had the oppurtunity to have had them in thier lives and the experience then at OMOS.

Posted April 22, 2008

My children are doing great at this school. They challenge my kids scholasically and the teachers are exceptional.

Asian 6% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Dave Keller
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Tucson