Tucson Country Day School

Charter | K-8 | 679 students

We are best known for social and academic excellence.

Living in Tucson

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $169,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Posted September 21, 2010

small enough to be friendly for the kids caring teachers and staff

Posted July 29, 2010

TCDS is an excellent school. As a charter school, parent involvement is necessary for successful operation. Every family that has a child at TCDS has to be committed to their child's education. The education is not just in the classroom, it has to continue in the home environment as well. TCDS still offers PE, music, technology, arts, and language. These activities are vital in developing well-rounded individuals. The teachers are empowered to teach for their classes, making adjustments as necessary for each group of students. Families need to understand this type of school environment may not work for everyone, and they have a choice- you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. I applaud TCDS for creating such a wonderful learning environment for our children and opportunities to be a part of it!

Posted May 11, 2010

I love this school. The staff is caring and invested in helping the children. As a parent of a 4th grade struggling math student. I have seem HUGE improvements with her math since being in a class with students at or near her level of understanding. And I do believe the numbers speak for themselves...last year the fourth grader's AIMS scores were outstanding. Math-97% Reading-93% and Writing-98% Clearly the teachers are doing something right! Keep up the good work TCDS!

Posted March 13, 2010

We are moving our child from this School, there is far too much turnover in the staff, some hold two jobs and are tired and drained before the school day even starts. I have seen kids crying because classes are like prisons instead of learning environments. Shame it was so much better just years ago. What a quickly awful descent

Posted March 11, 2010

This is the best school ever! Although the dress code and uniforms can be a drag this school is fantastic with wonderful teachers and loving staff and great students. Bullying is not tolerated which makes it a very safe environment. I've been going since preschool and now I am coming to the end of seventh grade. This school is great and I am so sorry to be leaving it this summer when I move. The students learn great skills and make good friends.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 26, 2010

This school is not what it used to be. The school used to focus on engaging learning and innovative teaching. But now the kids take a lot of tests and it seems like some grades are teaching to the test. The school was better off before. Maybe it's time for a new leader, again... Maybe they'll even choose the right one this time. I don't know if I'll be keeping my kids there to find out.

Posted February 21, 2010

I love this school and the wonderful teachers that teach there. My children have attended this school for many years and we've always been happy, up until this year. I am not happy with the choice to have the 4th graders sent to different classes for reading, writing, and math, based on their abilities. I know some of the kids feel badly about being in the 'slow' classes. I don't see how this promotes the school motto that every child is a champion. I hope this is not the direction the school is headed in under the new administration!

Posted October 3, 2009

The vision upon which TCDS was founded is a remarkable one, which focuses on community, citizenship, and dedication to each student as a unique individual. Not only does the founder and the school board often speak to the importance of helping each individual child flourish in a supportive community, but it also speaks to helping each teacher in the same way. The teachers at TCDS are dedicated and innovative. It is clear that teaching comes from the heart at TCDS. The student parent association (SPA) is also very dedicated and does a great deal to help build community at TCDS and to support the teachers they love. Unfortunately, under the current adminstration, the wonderful, original vision for TCDS seems to be slowly fading. I hope the school will get back on track, before the dedicated teachers and families that make it such a great school give up and leave.

Posted September 12, 2009

I love this school. It's absoultely the BEST and my child loves it here. Her teacher is great and the staff is WONDERFUL! I also love the Adriana Pedroza sign. it's very big.

Posted September 12, 2009

My child is now going into 4th grade and she LOVES her teacher. She really cares about my daughter's grades and really helps her exceed to her highest. My daughter has been going here since she was 5 and she's been loving every minute of it. This school is very family-orriented and they really genuinly care about the kids and their education. The office staff are always very welcoming and nice. Ms. Nicky knows the name of every student (which is very hard, considering there are at least 300), Ms. Susie really makes my day, and Ms. Stacey always makes me smile. Dr. Saliba, the Principal, is very warm and welcoming and has great ideas about the future. I'm SO glad I chose this school. I, too, love that big sign.

Posted July 31, 2009

My children will be in 1st and 5th grade this 2009-2010 school year. We have been at this school now for 4 years. We have seen 3 Principals over the 4 years and as far as my children and their education are concerened there has not been a change. Each Principal that has been there has shown the same expectation on the kids education. The teachers show how much they love their job and the kids. By the end of Kindergarden 2009 my son could tell you the Capital of every State. (I still couldn't) He can read and he can do double digit adding & subtracting. My daughter started here in 2nd grade, her reading was 1st grade level after 1yr of tutoring she was reading on 6th grade level. The teachers teach to your childs abilities. There is no limit!!!!!

Posted October 8, 2008

This school is wonderful, my children love to attend. I would like to see more after school clubs. However,there is one person in the office that feels the need to be extremely rude to you, and your children. My children hate to even go near the office in fear of her!! It's to bad she ruins the office staff the rest are so nice and helpful. Overall a great school !!!

Posted October 1, 2008

My child has attended TCDS for a number of years now. Though I've always enjoyed the community atmosphere of the school, I was particularly pleased by some of the growth that took place with the new administrator of the 2007-2008 school year. I was very pleased by last year's principal. It was clear that he was really focused on making TCDS a great place for kids to learn. I am very disappointed by the loss of such a great principal for our 2008-2009 school year. I do think the new assitant principal is wonderful though and there are still many, many wonderful teachers working in our remarkable school.

Posted June 25, 2008

We completed our first year at TCDS. I have one child going into 5th and the other 2nd. Both of my kids said this was the best school year they have ever had. The staff is wonderful, the teachers are great. They have drama now and football...I can't wait to see what next year brings. The Principals honor roll is such a great idea. I could go on and on. This is the best school ever and I am so happy with my decision to move my children here.

Posted March 16, 2008

I am honored to work at Tucson Country Day School. I have never encountered such a wonderful community of caring individuals such as that which exists at TCDS. The entire staff, from the maintenance crew to the principal, work together as a team to create a safe and positive enviroment for everyone. Equally remarkable is the support and cooperation between parents, especially our student-parent organization, and the staff. We all work together as a community to ensure that each child flourishes. The involvement and dedication of both parents and teachers constantly amazes me. As our principal says, 'It's all about what is good for the kids.'
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 27, 2007

As an educator who is currently taking a course with many other teachers from a variety of different districts, boy is it tough out there I am proud to say that I am thankful for my school, co-workers, office staff, and principal! TCDS gets four stars in every single category!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 26, 2007

Yes, it seems like an excellent school. I agree that one of the Staff members is extremly rude and should be removed before she gives out a bad rep. Other then that the programs seem awesome. The need to add band and Chorus for the younger children , starting k -8.

Posted September 28, 2007

I can't say enough about TCDS. The teachers not only teach the curriculum, they often go beyond and give the kids a glimpse of the next few years of school; at the end of the year, the kids aren't afraid of the challenges ahead, they meet them head on with confidence. The office staff is wonderful, with Miss Nicky knowing the name of every student (not an easy task considering well over 300 students attend this school) and Miss Susie's upbeat and professional demeanor striking a wonderful balance of staffing in such a critical area of any school. This is my youngest son's last year at TCDS, having attended TCDS since 3rd grade. As the mother of the very first Student Council President and this year's current Treasurer, I cannot say enough about Richard Cooper's vision and how we've watched it grow over the years. Bravo TCDS!

Posted September 28, 2007

Overall a great school / learning environment. One of the office staff members is so rude that many parents avoid asking for what they need. When you get a good teacher here, you get The Best in Tucson. The problems are minor and If you compare this school to others in Tucson they are still heads above the rest. The new principal for 2007/2008 school year seems to put the focus back on the kids and is a breath of fresh air!

Posted June 1, 2007

My daughter has attended TCDS for 3 years and we have found it to be an excellent learning environment. The office staff and principal go above and beyond to help us with anything that we've needed. The teachers provide challenging academic lessons. The teachers as well as the staff equally stress the importance of good behavior such as kindness, consideration and respect. My daughter's teacher took the class to read to alzheimer's patients to promote the importance of giving to others. Their art, music and technology programs, while only once a week, are fantastic with very enthusiastic teachers. Student art gets entered at the fair and there are two music programs a year. Their p.e. teachers are both outstanding even taking personal time to go watch students playing in sports outside the school. The environment has a great outdoor camp feel with a fantastic view of the mountains.We love this school!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
Japanese
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Labeled as Excelling by the State of Arizona (2008)
  • Labeled as Excelling by the State of Arizona (2009)

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Japanese

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gardening

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Dr. Mark Saliba
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (520) 290-1521

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Creative writing
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook