Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 01, 2015
It's different every year; this is tough to assess when there is so much change.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 01, 2015
All of it has been manageable so far. Kids have more to learn now than when I was in school, so there is going to be more or more difficult work, but it's up to us parents to teach them how to manage their time and get it done.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
Yes. All you have to do is go look a the art and robotics displays or go to some of the competitions to see that.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
Yes, but, like I said, not all kids are alike, and some take longer than others to respond.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted June 01, 2015
I think the general atmosphere is very warm and encouraging; that kind of atmosphere fosters more kindness and compassion.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
I think the teachers generally treat the students in a positive but fair way. However, kids are not all the same, and so those who respond to fair (and sometimes soft) methods will do well, and those that require great discipline may not.

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 1

Posted May 29, 2015
I would like to inform all of the members of this community that this school has its staff members post positive reviews so that it may remain operable. It also occasionally bribes students and parents into doing it as well-and not just positive reviews, FIVE STAR reviews. I am saying this because I was one of the people who this happened to. The staff would approach me and request I post a positive review for the school. I could talk forever about the things wrong with this school, but I’ll leave everyone with this: this school is full of racism, staff members who only care about money, and an unmatched level of disorganization throughout. Enroll your children with caution.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 22, 2015
the staff themselves are dishonest so how do you expect the students to learn honesty? also, the racism in this school is an actual issue, so no, there is no fairness.

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 5

Posted May 18, 2015
It is clear that parents would like to provide their children with the best education. Sonoran Science Academy is a nationally high ranking school and it ranked as the 6th in the state. Having said that it is still not possible to please every student and their parents. Once some of their wishes or demands are not accepted by teachers or administration, they start complaining about it. Having some parents write imaginary sentences to the school review does not change the reality. Sonoran Science Academy is still ranking as one of the best schools in the state and nation. I am glad my son and daughter are students at Sonoran Science Academy. My elder daughter graduated from SSA last year.

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 1

Posted May 16, 2015
Let me start off by saying that 5 years ago, I would have given this school a 4 star rating. Recently however, SSA has been drastically declining in terms of education and has just about hit rock bottom this year. This place is so bad. The members of the staff are begging parents to log onto this site and write positive reviews. I've been pestered over and over again to get on here and write a positive review; but there's nothing good to report. The school is bribing students with free dress days if they refer their friends to this school because so many students are leaving. Funny, because I remember a point when SSA had it's head up so high-it was wait-listing students because of the institution's high academic standards. Now it's begging for enrollment. The school is incredibly disorganized. When the staff makes a mistake, they're quick to point fingers instead of handling the matter in a mature way. You just don't know who to trust or who to turn to. There are some wonderful teachers at SSA, but the negatives outnumber the positives I'm afraid. I will be placing my children in a public school next year.

2325 W Sunset Rd, Tucson, AZ  85741
Last modified Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 146 reviews. Top