Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My son was a freshman at Ironwood Ridge during the 2015-2016 school year. He had a great experience. Moving from a small town in Arizona to this school has been great, as the school offers many more choices as to advanced placement courses and after school activities than were available at his previous school.

I have two children that have gone through Ironwood Ridge high school. I have found the coursework at Ironwood to be more advanced than most high schools in the area and the majority of the teachers to be very good. Their clubs and athletic programs are outstanding. Both of my children are minority students and neither one has felt any bullying or racial tension at this high school. Many of their friends who graduated from other local high schools with same type of grades found college very difficult while my sons have found it fairly easy. In my opinion it's one of the best high schools in the state. I was a teacher at several high schools in another state and would loved to have taught at this school. With 2000 students at this school it's amazing how few comments are on this website in the last few years.

My child is a freshman. She was denied an opportunity to join cheer for no good reason. Also after a conflict with another student; the administration punished her unfairly. The staff is more concerned with appearances than education and guidance of all students. I would not send my child here.

A direct quote from a teacher to the entire class, "I have over 100 students, I don't care if you fail.". The same teacher, "I can see you are all confused, but I'm moving forward.", and once again "almost all of you will fail this test". In my opinion the problem doesn't lie with the students, this teacher cannot teach. More than one teacher at this school will openly mock parents in front of students just because the parent contacted them about concerns over grades. Frankly, I find this behavior on the part of the teacher not only unprofessional but also childish. Teachers who fail the majority of a class are the true failures, not the children.

The staff and students are great but the administration does not respect the teachers. This creates a culture of fear in which teachers are afraid to state their opinions.

My daughter went here for her junior year of high school. We had some issues with bullying. She was bullied for her race. She was bullied for not wanting to participate in school spirit. She was bullied by an extremely rude culinary teacher. The administration did about as much as they wanted to about this issue. I figured the incidents of racial intolerances at this school were isolated, but unfortunately my family was wrong. She had an absolutely wonderful chemistry teacher and some of the parents who volunteered were very nice. Those are the positives I can give this school. More news of racial intolerance has come out in the news about this school since then. I would love for that long winded 5 star review from the student below to be true for everyone, however it is not. Please do not be deterred by the students trying to defend this school on this page. I admire the school spirit, but enough of our children have fallen victim to prejudice and childish behavior from some of the supposed mentors.

Families who have children attending a school which for some time has looked the other way with regards to racial speech, verbal abuse and physical threats is not a school I can recommend to anyone.

After reading some of these reviews I decided to share my opinion since the quality of the few reviews before me are so unbelievably biased it makes me laugh. By no way is Ironwood a terrible high school. I'll tell you it isn't perfect, but I would have no regrets sending my child going to this high school after I've already attended. Sure some of the teachers aren't Ivy League professors, but 99 percent of them have challenging courses and the tenacity to teach the kids. The counselors aren't perfect, but they will help as much as they can so you can pursue the university your child wants. To the person who bashed IRHS and wanted to sent their child to basis, counselors and other admins are just references when trying to attend a higher education university. It is still your child's responsibility to get his/her own references and letters of recommendations based on their community and school involvement the four years in high school. To the person complaining about athletics, you have no idea the social and team building skills athletics teach you. These skills help with so many life situations it's almost arrogant saying athletics is given too much importance

(Continued from below) (Continued from below review) Ironwood has great sports programs and the admins care a lot in keeping this reputation. And if sports still don't seem important to you, without sports I wouldn't be in my engineering program in college now free of charge because athletic scholarships is what pays for my schooling instead of loans or my parents. And finally for the person who wants more diverse culture programs on campus, you have to remember ironwood is located in Oro Valley. Everyone knows the town is predominately Caucasian. And you're going to base a high school based off of your son/daughter not being in a culturally diverse school? What about all the other cultures besides yours? That's pretty selfish to say and if it's what you want maybe you should send your child to Tucson High. Overall IRHS is a great shook and you shouldn't have any worries sending your child here to have the best 4 years of high school they can get socially and academically.

A lot of the teachers are collecting a paycheck. The admin is very arrogant and don't help parents or students with a lot of issues. They have political schemes that prevents bad teachers from getting in trouble. Most of the classes are taught with a very liberal point of view. Children without political knowledge will be taught with slated opinions. Recently the admins have begun watching students actions online and punishing them for quoting movies like "Mean Girls" or sharing any negative opinions about the admin. I'm being serious. Seriously consider other schools if looking to enroll in this area.

Last modified Ironwood Ridge High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.