Public charter
Tucson, AZ

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 08, 2015
It is important for homework to be given to reinforce the standards taught during the school day and for parents to see what is being taught. Both my sons brought homework home and I appreciated helping them to learn more about what was being taught in their classroom.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 08, 2015
La Paloma has partnered with Vail to bring Beyond Textbooks into our school. With this, our new curriculum, and our amazing teachers, students are learning more than ever and are truly enjoying their academic journey.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 08, 2015
As a Character Counts school, we have the verbage posted throughout the school. Teachers are also required to submit weekly lesson plans describing how they are teaching the character trait of the month.

La Paloma Academy (Lakeside) 5

Posted July 08, 2015
My children have both excelled at La Paloma Lakeside. They love the school and their teachers and feel safe to learn.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted July 08, 2015
Both my sons attend La Paloma Academy. Their teachers have gone above and beyond for their academic and social needs. Their teachers truly care about their students and I feel comfortable and confident with trusting my children with them.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 07, 2015
I really like La Paloma Academy. After moving here from out of state I was very worried, but the teachers and administration put my worries to rest. I like the "open door" feel with the Principal. The communication with the online grade system and the email communication between myself and the teachers was great. My 6th grader liked how she had a few different teachers. My 3rd grader and a my 6th grader, would recommend this school to everyone, as will I. I am keeping my fingers crossed they will open a high school so I won't have to stress about where to send my daughter in a few years!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted July 07, 2015
Just walking in the door you can see the front office staff say good morning, how are you. The teachers care about all of their students. I overheard a teacher say one day these are all of my children.

La Paloma Academy (Lakeside) 5

Posted July 07, 2015
I really like La Paloma Academy. After moving here from out of state I was very worried, but the teachers and administration put my worries to rest. The communication with the online grade system and the email communication between myself and the teachers was great. My 6th grader liked how she had a few different teachers. My 3rd grader and a my 6th grader, would recommend this school to everyone, as will I.

La Paloma Academy (Lakeside) 1

Posted May 18, 2015
We've been at La Paloma Lakeside since Kindergarten with our daughter who is now just finishing 6th grade. We've witnessed a steady decline in teacher to parent communication. This year our honor student failed 6th grade. We've requested conferences and been ignored. We've had to corner her teachers to get time with them to discuss what's going on. Again and again we were told the same story. " It's. The administration's doing. They opted to have the 6th graders switch classes mid term to go from one teacher to multiple teachers." Teachers say "all kids are struggling with the transition" and blame administers. We as parents feel completely out of the loop

La Paloma Academy (Lakeside) 1

Posted January 20, 2015
My 10 yr old son has been repeatedly bullied and harassed at this school, to the point that he recently attempted suicide. In a panic, I left a voicemail message for the principal, asking him to call me back immediately regarding a very serious matter. He never returned my call. When I contacted the school superintendent (his wife, apparently?), she wished us better luck next year. Proof that anyone can start up a charter school, no matter how incompetent. Do not send your child to this school!

8140 E. Golf Links Rd., Tucson, AZ  85730
Last modified La Paloma Academy (Lakeside) is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
La Paloma Academy (Lakeside) Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top