San Miguel High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Tucson

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $74,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $720.

Sweep tile

Posted June 29, 2012

First of all I'll be graduating this next school year from this school and honestly it's been one of the smartest things I've done in my life so far. For all those who are talking it up about how it only advertises itself and what not, well of course it is, it's a business? This school offers a lot, I already have a secured job after I graduate at a great workplace all Becaus of the opportunity I have here. The staff is amazing, I know every single one of them if not personally at least I can talk to them about how the days going. The education they offer is great, it's strict yes I know I'm going on my 4th year there but it's for our own good. Honestly there's nothing to bonplain about. I come from public schools and it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. And the fact that it targets Hispanics, why's wrong with that, were getting an opportunity to succeed. All those who complain about the school don't really appreciate what there being offered, I myself realize that by going to San Miguel I'm already more prepared than my friends at public schools! Not to say that at public schools there any less but here they actually push you to become the best you can. This school is worth it.

Posted October 10, 2010

I love San Miguel High School because I have attended this school for nearly 4 years now and I have no complaints. I love the rigorous curriculum, the faculty, staff, teachers, and students who truly care about each other, and the great work experience all of the students gain there. This school is affordable to every family and offers much more than just a good education. Their work internship program truly helps kids gain useful work experience that will most definitely help them later on in life. This school is amazing in all it does for its students and all it does for the future of our community by helping build a brighter future for its students.

Posted June 11, 2010

My daughter is Freshman at San Miguel, and my expectations this year were not met at all, not even half way. they put way to much time into advertising than they do into the actual school. I do not mean to Generalize but its located on the South side, and it caters to low-income families. Do the math. dont get me wrong at all, I have seen some extraordinary students that go there (they're leaving this year) but my daughter says the classes are extremely obnoxious, not disciplined, immature, rude, mean, and very poorly behaved, I might as well have sent my daughter to a public school. Most of the kids are sent their by their parents to keep them out of trouble at public schools. As a way to discipline them, and my daughter is affected by this. There is absolutely no variety whatsoever. i would continue, but im limited

Posted May 19, 2010

This is an excellent school for any student that wants to ready themselves for college or career or life in general. My son will be a junior next year and we both have been very pleased with his experience at San Miguel. Sure they have dress codes and rules, but they have wonderful teachers and strong leadership staff that truly care about the future of these kids and prepare them well. My son has truly grown as a person and the experience he has received from his CIP internship jobs has been invaluable. You get out of school what you make of it and that includes parent involvement also.

Posted April 7, 2010

I am a student at San Miguel and I do not enjoy it. The school really does focus on college, the college counselors are constantly drilling college into our minds. It really is strong in some areas. I really enjoy the CIP (CORPORATE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM) it exposes me to possible career fields that i am considering of pursuing after high school. The uniform is really strict. its a community that focuses on education and service to others especially. because the school is located in Southside Tucson it is predominately Hispanic/Latino, it can be uncomfortable if you are outside of the Hispanic race. The students are not disciplined well. it is disturbing to your studies. and you do not change your classmates. its like elementary school where you are around the same kids from 8 to 3:30. so you better pray to God you get along with everyone.

Posted February 12, 2010

What this school offers is not much. They say that they are a college prepatory high school. What i say is that i do not agree with what they have to say. As a junior at San Miguel i have seen countless times of horible behavior, workmanship, and overall the teachers are even worse. they say that they can teach us and all and that but i say that this is below unsastasfactory. i have wasted my 3 now on to four years at san miguel

Posted November 24, 2009

This review is coming from a graduate of the first class...one part is definitely true...this school is not for everyone. It is for individuals who want to succeed both in the workplace and in school! I have succeeded far beyond my imagination since my freshman year! I was able to keep my faith and learn from the teachers who I can honestly say did a great deal for me as well as other students. Parents, I have witnessed other students completely give up and refuse to work at this school! But I have never seen a teacher give up on a student! This school is what you make it, just take advantage of the incredible opportinuties! As far as the curriculum, I had almost 12 college credits before I left SMHS. I didn't have to take 2 of my 3 university placement exams and was very preparred for my first semester!

Posted November 9, 2009

The school is what you make it,like any other school. It is a great school if you can take the pressure & the resources that are given to you.It can change & help your life completely.SMHS is not for everyone. You need to be in a certain mind set and wanting success.

Posted July 13, 2009

My daughter went there last year, the teachers were rude, no patience, the challenge at this school is to get along with the teachers, because they make everything harder for the students. Keep that in mind parents.

Posted July 13, 2009

This school advertises itself to be a college prep school. By that they mean someone else will do most of the legwork to get your student into a college. Be aware that this does not mean the curriculum or instruction is at an appropriate level which will allow your student to gain skills they need to succeed once they are in college. The 'rude' teachers that another reviewer spoke of are educated professionals who share their knowledge with students who for the most part do not want what is being offered. The 'rude' teachers who would like to spend the majority of their time teaching, instead deal with students' poor behavior, ridiculous excuses, and the defenses offered by their confrontational parents.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 26, 2009

It is a great school! it really changed my life around; i cant wait till next year come :dd

Posted August 28, 2008

This school is a excellent school because their Corporate Internship Program gives the experience for any career that you are interested in. The academics there prepare for college/university which is great. This school is full of future educators, lawyers, doctors, and etc.

Asian 0% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (520) 294-6417

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Tucson