Nea Community Learning Center School

Charter | K-12 | 500 students

Democratic Model and Project Based Learning

Living in Alameda

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $470,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,480.

Posted September 10, 2013

My lower village kid is excited to go to school every day. The teachers always answer questions and concerns. The aftercare is inexpensive and staffed by creative and caring people who do paper art projects and prepare healthy snacks for the kids. There are really cool elective classes, taught by the teachers, and the kids get to know lots of teachers this way. The project based model is intriguing for the kids. They go to the playground several times a week, but even just playing outside without a play structure gives the kids a chance to make believe. Over recess, I've heard them come up with elaborate stories where they each act out a role. It's a creative environment, and attracts and keeps independent, imaginative children.

Posted September 9, 2013

I have two children at Nea. Our neighborhood elementary school would be excellent, but we wanted something a little different for our child...who is also a little different! The differentiated learning ensures that our learner is not just doing the same old, same old worksheet. Nea teaches using projects. There have been opportunities at each grade for my learner to do different (harder) work, to do additional projects outside of school hours and present, etc. I know parents who pay for private school who don't have this level of individualized learning. Our learners are both free to do their own reading, pursue their own building projects, etc. in the evenings because homework as it is known at other schools is not part of the Nea model until 5th grade. Reading logs, yes. Worksheet-based homework for kindergarteners? No.

Posted September 9, 2013

My daughter has been here for two years, and has just entered second grade. I couldn't be happier with the parent community, the enrichment classes, and the quality of teaching. My daughter's math and reading/writing lessons have consistently been more advanced than any of her friends going to other Alameda schools, and she doesn't even have homework. If she isn't at one of the awesome enrichment or just in the fantastic aftercare program, she's out playing with her friends. Of course, we go over her classwork, rehearse for plays and study for spelling tests too but there's more joy and less drudgery. Nea inspires and empowers its students through student-centered, project-based learning, and it attracts a community of independent thinkers. I am so glad we're a part of it.

Posted September 9, 2013

It's our daughter's second year at Nea (1st grade). We chose the school because of its approach to teaching, its mission and its proximity to our house. I've gotten to know the faculty and parent community pretty well this past year. I am a PTSA member, served on committees, attended events and made baked goods for fundraisers...and yes! I am a working parent. Our daughter is very creative and yet needs structure, we've been thrilled with Nea. Her reading and literacy have blossomed. Her math which has been more of a challenge (read: she gets bored) has excelled. This next year will be telling of course, but the teachers are so real, honest and very experienced. She has learned a lot about problem-solving in groups and together with her friends. Little kids are always going to test each other and act out; Nea really empowers kids at a young age to teach one another respect and to take responsibility for your actions. And the older kids mentor the younger ones...I just really appreciate how kids learn to love and yet to be accountable at the same time. I highly recommend this school to parents who are looking for a project-based, close community to grow with.

Posted September 9, 2013

I love how Nea teaches teamwork, compassion, personal accountability, and social responsibility from the time the children enter kindergarten. And, they do it in such a way that the kids are excited to go to school every day. They are helping form the next generation of active and responsible citizens, and they do so in a very positive manner.

Posted August 4, 2013

I appreciate having alternative education available within the public schools of Alameda. Nea has provided leadership opportunities and self-directed problem based learning for both of my daughters. The teachers are supportive and committed to the model with projects that hold their interest and give context to the material. The K-5 has a full time art teacher and music twice a week. The K-5 "no homework" policy is fantastic, placing importance on home family/play time. The model of self-directed learning prepared my 12 year old to succeed when she entered middle school and had homework. The district has broken the charter and separated the K-12 school into two campuses. I would love to see the schools rejoined to support the community aspect of the charter (peer tutoring and group projects) and better facilities for play and sport.

Posted August 4, 2013

Nea is a great option for our family for a ton of reasons. My kids have gardening chores, they help with cooking, they have art they need to do, and family reading time is pretty much every day from 6-8pm. Who needs homework? Well, they will, but not yet. Nea fits in with our philosophy and lives. Also, as the parent of a future president of the United States, I appreciate Nea's emphasis on learner empowerment (and responsibility). This is accomplished through projects and democratic processes in the classroom. Nea has a strong culture, and like all strong cultures it's not a universal fit. YMMV. It really works for our family and for our learners, and we couldn't be happier. Go, Ninjas!

Posted August 3, 2013

Nea's K-5 school has an all-day kindergarten, a dedicated K-5 art facilitator, music K-5, technology starting in Kindergarten, electives K-5, where learners are empowered to make their own elective choices, 3-5 grade learners changing classes during core curriculum instruction, no homework policy K-2, small community with two classes per grade, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) 3-5, LEGO Robotics 4-5, community service requirements K-5, and more. There are no textbooks, so the facilitators have to be creative and develop their own project-based curriculum. Nea's a great alternative to other local public elementary school offerings. My children are HAPPY and THRIVING.

Posted May 22, 2013

There is a 90% chance that NEA is better than your school. (as of May 2013)

Posted March 17, 2013

Very excited about what is happening here at the school! My daughters are thriving and we absolutely love the teachers in the lower village. K teacher Miss Charlotte is a GEM! my kindergartener had strong comprehension of steletal system (right before halloween!), and has a fabulous understanding of tidepool biology (in addition to having moved quickly forward on her reading, her writing and her math skills). Ms B, the 2nd grade teacher has a fabulous energy, and has given our 2nd grader a number of opportunities to build her knowledge at her own (accelerated) pace. The model at the school and the governing staff continually bring in enthusiastic teachers eager to add to this great community. We love the parent community that continues to develop, and the way my girls are taking responsibility for their education is AWESOME!

Posted March 15, 2013

We have two kids at Nea and both are very happy there. The kindergarten teacher is a true gem, and we have always been happy with the teachers, who are motivated and engaged. The small size of the school is a real plus. It is less than ideal that they have to share space with a middle school and the facility is lacking, but that it where the district put them. We are very happy with our choice of Nea. The administration has done a great job of responding to community feedback and the atmosphere is very positive. There were several unhappy (and vocal) families from the 2011-2012 school year who seemed to create some trouble for Nea's reputation, but this year has been smooth.

Posted November 5, 2012

The nation is moving to new core standards for evaluating school effectiveness. This initiative is being undertaken because of the inflated "progress" schools have been reporting nationally. Charters in Kentucky are already reporting under the new core standards, and some former "stellar" schools are now...Let's see where Nea's first graduating class is next year, and how the school ranks with API in three years, after CA takes on the new core standards. Then, AUSD should make the appropriate fiscal decisions.

Posted September 6, 2012

The strength of NEA is their teachers & their flexibility to build curriculum around their passions. Their small class sizes & the ability to really know the students (over many years too) allows for more in depth learning. I'm impressed by the workload & dedication of NEA teachers. If your student needs more structure, there are better places. Free periods can be great for group work & homework, but also for goofing off. Kids learn responsibility by the freedom to make these choices. If they choose wisely, most kids finish all their homework in school! While NEA is community based, it is not a customizable private school. NEA must still adhere to required regs & testing (you're looking at API scores too right?). Therefore the curriculum is more structured in younger years although they still get electives. Our daughter loved swing dance last year. Lack of communication has been an issue & I believe the source of the bad reviews here. Facilities are also controlled by the district, not NEA. The principal is a strong presence. To us that means the school is safe & issues are dealt with swiftly. But not everyone likes admin's approach. Check it out for yourself.

Posted August 27, 2012

This place is a hot mess. They're drowning under their own poorly thought out metaphors. The kids are expected to find their own place and their own order in a very disordered environment. Our son went to Nea last year and fell completely behind. We've moved to a new town and now, 3 weeks into the school year, our kid is doing SO MUCH BETTER. But if we had stayed in Alameda we still would have returned to the public school. Nea was teaching him to hate school. Now he's learning to enjoy learning again. I'm sad that Alameda has so woofully neglected their public schools to the point that a place like Nea seemed like a good alternative.

Posted August 14, 2012

Every school has its issues, and Nea's main issue is disorganization. If that makes you insane, look elsewhere. If you do consider Nea, you'll find a school with engaged students, energized faculty, new ways of weaving subjects and learning together, and families that are largely thrilled with their children's learning experience. I wish the facilities had worked out better this past year, as I was looking forward to my son, a middle schooler, having more contact (tutoring in math or English, perhaps?) with the lower grades. It's unfortunate that the district allocated classrooms to WCDC instead of keeping Nea upper & lower villages together. The administration has done an admirable job of keeping the feel of a 'village' even with split campuses. We're looking forward to my son's second year at Nea.

Posted August 12, 2012

This school is in shambles due to the inept and immoveable administration Students are not even learning state standards. So-called project-based learning is a joke. Parents are ostracized if they question the problems. We are leaving and going back to public school before my children get further behind. Sad, as the school started with so much promise. Do NOT send your children there. If i could rate it lower, i would.

Posted May 29, 2012

My child is in the upper village of Nea and has done well. Good grades, made friends, enjoys the school day. I have found the facilitators to be helpful and very responsive, and I've have no trouble with the administration. I am puzzled, however, by the strong negative comments that some departing parents feel necessary to make about the school. Yes, it is a very unique model that doesn't fit every child, but it doesn't mean that if it doesn't fit your child, it is a failure. There are many, many happy parents and kids at Nea!

Posted May 15, 2012

I think that choice is good and sometimes schools are not the right fit for everyone. Glad you are happy elsewhere...that is what is important. I love Nea for it innovation and what they are trying to do. I look to see how they will be in the next years, a they are still young, and some of the issues with the facilities are our of their control. By the way, the school provides spring water for every learner, and bringing a water bottle is a great idea.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 6, 2012

We were so excited to be a part of Nea at the beginning of the year. After seeing the new facilities for the K-5 campus I began to have some concerns. My concerns were quickly validated when my kindergartener began holding her bladder all day because the bathrooms are designed for middle school sized students and the school wouldn't allow a step stool in the stalls. Recess was a nightmare because Nea doesn't have a play structure and all the older kids get the few balls available. My daughter spent her playtime placidly walking around a sun-baked black top. Nea promised that the children would be taken to the adjoining park, but this happened only once in the two weeks we attended. There is no drinking fountain, so don't forget your water bottle - ever. The lead facilitator is impossible to approach, and be ready to be labeled a "problem-family" if you even think of making some suggestions for improvement. I think the teachers care very much, but they are intimidated by the administration. As soon as we moved our daughter to AUSD we were all so much happier.

Posted March 26, 2012

The shared site with The Academy has its own set of problems that did not exist last year.The site was not intended for elementary school kids.My learner complains every day that she hates recess because there is nothing to do on the blacktop since there is no playground.The big kids always take what few balls there are away from the little kids.She forgot her water bottle a few times this year & since there is no drinking fountain, she was dehydrated.The water cooler is dirty.I doubt we will keep her here next year since she needs to play at recess(motor skills practice!)& they only gets to go to the park to play a couple times a week.There was a parent volunteer to help in the class but midyear she was told she could not help out anymore without any explanation except that it was due to the school's policy.What kind of school doesn't allow parents in the classroom?There seems to be a huge gap in the communication.Teachers don't know the policies or the policies change so suddenly that no one is aware of these changes & parental notification is lacking.Wish we had stayed on the wait list because we are not happy here.We had no idea it was going to be this bad.Hugely regret it here

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

Females65%

Non-economically disadvantaged50%
Students with no reported disability59%
English learner45%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

All Students94%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 30%N/AN/A
English language learners 17%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school From all over Alameda
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Mills College
Cal State East Bay
UC Berkeley (CAL)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Japanese
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College prep programs/courses during the year
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Maafi Gueye
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (510) 864-4281

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Internships
  • Project-based
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Transportation options
  • Audiovisual aids
  • College/career center
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Improv
Media arts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer during electives

Submit your application by

January 31, 2014

Apply now

What are your chances?

2 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
400
Students typically come from these schools
From all over Alameda

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Mills College
Cal State East Bay
UC Berkeley (CAL)
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013