Victoria Groves Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Alta Loma

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $311,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,300.

Posted December 5, 2013

I have to agree with the previous reviewers who had problems with the principal. She has been a disappointment. She basically blamed our son for the failings of a very forgetful, disorganized teacher. She is absolutely condescending and rude. Mrs. Hoppe could do a better job of learning how to talk to parents.

Posted October 3, 2013

This school is ruined by its rude, condescending, incompetent principal! My daughter was a 2nd grader last year a 3rd grade boy pushed her so hard when she wasn't looking that she fell and fractured her arm. The injury was so serious that my daughter required immediate surgery that night. The next morning I spoke to the principal regarding this incident and not only was she protecting the boy that pushed my daugher but she practically blamed my daughter for the whole thing. The boy was NEVER punished for his actions!!! I later came to find out he was given 1 day....YES 1 day with no lunch recess!!! Thats it!!!!! The principal was very condecsending and rude throughout the entire process and never once did she put herself in my shoes. Mrs. Hoppe wouldn't even let me talk to the boys parents. I asked for a meeting with them in her office and she refused!! Since my daughter was in a 2nd/3rd grade combo class with this boy I asked that he be moved out, she suggested I move my daughter to a different class. Mrs. Hoppe made no real effort to aleviate the situation, I truly felt that she and the school turned their back on my daugher. This woman has no business running a school!!

Posted August 19, 2013

If this review was based on my child's teacher last year and the principal only I'd give it 0 stars. The principal is condescending and lazy. She will not call back or contact you unless it's to be rude. MRS. LEE is a HORRID teacher who needs to look into early retirement or find another career. No amount of my willingness or pretty much begging would make her help me help my child with school. She basically sent my child in their way to 3rd grade with below standards in everything. The only reason (and I'm serious about this) that my child is going back to this school is the child care staff. Chris Nichols is AMAZING, she runs a beautifully operated child care and the principal is no reflection of this. Chris assured me that this year would be better and when I let her know who my child's teacher was she left me feeling confident in this teachers abilities. So far this year is looking promising. I'd give the child care team and program 10 stars if I could.

Posted August 7, 2013

We moved and had to change from etiwanda to alta Loma. I was worried but heard great things about Victoria Groves. So far the teachers are good but the principle and staff are horid. No wonder etiwanda continues to outshine alta Loma. What does a school have to hide when they don't have an open door policy to parents and prevent them from even monitoring their own children during recess?? Avoid this school if possible. The principle really ruins it.

Posted April 29, 2013

Most of the teachers are superb! The school environment and PTA are always geared with the student's best interests! The principal, however, is AWFUL! She is condescending, and manipulative. She will tell students and parents one thing, and then respond the other way. She acts as if she listens and cares, but until a parent goes to District,things won't change! Cannot wait for her 5 year term to be up-and she talks way TOO much during assemblies!

Posted September 10, 2012

We moved here from another state and I am shocked at the academic standards. My daughter is learning here in n fourth grade what she learned in second grade at her old school. Also, the standards here are really out dated. Very disappointed. If you are moving here from another state you might be disappointed.

Posted August 29, 2012

LOVE VG!! All the teachers are fantastic, and the students are great! My daughter left a "10" school last year to come to VG...I have seen more growth in her here than at the other school (she attended for over a year). It makes a difference that the school does want great test scores but that is not all they want. They want to have the students excel after they leave VG in the real world as intelligent respectful young adults.

Posted December 7, 2011

School Was GREAT. No Bad Teachers. I went there for 7 years with no bad expieriences. Most BAD reviews are from people who had a kid that got in trouble. It's by FAR the BEST Elementary school in the ALSD.

Posted October 10, 2011

VGS, VGS where the students are the best! Love this school, has such a small town feel. My daughter attended this school for her entire elementary experience. The teachers, parents, and kiddos are amazing! The only thing missing is Mr. Bonilla! Please bring him back! We are now a Vineyard Jr high family and the VGS kids still stick together, love it!

Posted August 30, 2011

My first child graduated from there, my 2 nd child is at a new school now, but I really miss VG

Posted August 13, 2011

I honestly thought the previous principal was lacking, but VGS welcomed an amazing new principal last year with loads of experience and a very friendly demeanor. Mrs. Hoppe and the excellent administration really look out for the students. My son has been going here for the past 4 years and each year gets better and better. His STAR results are always advanced and I owe this in part to the outstanding teachers. One of the wonderful aspects of VGS is the PTA--who put in exceptional effort to give the students great opportunities like chorus (AWESOME) and an art program.

Posted March 2, 2010

As a student at vgs i love this school it is not at all a bad school most of the times we go above the standard and what is not required just to learn more and rasie our education again as a student that goes to vgs it is an amaving school gudge this school on the quality which is aswsome!!! r.S.M

Posted September 3, 2009

I think that the school campus is really well organized but as another parent said the school is very unforgiving. So i think that the school is really great but the principal is very horrible. Mrs.Hall

Posted August 21, 2009

My son went to kindergarten last year here in Mrs. Williams' class. I was concerned in the beginning of the school year since he was inundated with so much information preparatory to 1st grade. He did excellent in the class with so much attention from his teacher and the parents who volunteered their time to help. I recently moved and put him into another district for 1st. They so far are no where near the standard of VGS. I am so appreciative of VGS and wish we could come back.

Posted April 14, 2009

We have had very good experience with Victoria Groves. Our kids have been going to this school for a year now and they have enjoyed each and every day. The teachers are on top of everything. Extra curricular activities are adequate. This is a very good community. The pricipal is great and remembers everybody either by face or by name.

Posted March 23, 2009

This school has an amazing PTA, a caring body of teachers guiding the students and a principal that makes time for the kids and parents alike. I am always impressed with how many parents want to help by volunteering their time to help in the classroom (and they are always made to feel welcome) to even spending their weekends planting flowers in the garden.

Posted December 8, 2008

My family and I love this school the staff and teachers are all about the children wether or not they fit into what some call 'normal'good student please I have only been there for 3 years and have seen 1st hand how the staff go above and above for these special childeren that have ummmmmm a littlt trouble I have seen things that I cant beleve the kid dosent get in trouble for but this staff puts theese kids under there wing and helps them in every way shape and formto one day have theese kids be a producive class mate and go on to bigger and better things they care enough to take there own time and help theede special kids but the actualy beauty of it is the other children dont even know whats going on so guess what everyone is a winner at VGS. Mrs. Hall rockk

Posted October 8, 2008

VGS is an excellent school with great staff! Mrs. Hall is a wonderful, caring, and understanding principal. It take a parent, child and school to work out whatever issues you have with your child. It is not the principal and teacher job to discipline your child. They do their part and the parent have to do most of the part to educate their child to meet the bench mark. There's nothing bad to say about this school. I come everyday with my child and I can see how well my child is learning for the past three years! Mrs. Hall is AWSOME!

Posted September 29, 2008

Hmmmm, I already wrote one bad review on this school and for some reason, it wasn't posted....what's going on Great Schools? I guess I will have to tone it down for this review. VGS is not all that ALSD likes to make it out to be, Mrs. Hall and her school thrive on student conformity. Hence, if your child does not fall into the VGS ideal of a 'typical' student, they will be extremely unforgiving. It doesn't matter if you have a 4 year old in kinder or a 5th grader, your child must fit VGS' idea of 'normal and typical.' And trust me, Mrs. Hall is extremely quick to judge as she labels each parent and child. Do yourself and your child a favor and find another school. Sorry, VGS but most kids are anything but 'typical' :-) Oh yea, and Great Schools, this information is 'true and correct.'

Posted March 30, 2008

This is an outstanding school, my son and daughter attended VGS for kinder, and 1st grade. Mrs Hall is doing such a great job, along with the staff from teachers to the proctors, I believe at VGS, children education and safety is their number one priority. I like that they set high standards for the students, and that there is a lot of parent involvement. Mrs Williams and Mrs Pretorius, are such wonderfull teachers they are very professional, and you could say strict, but also very caring, and they go beyond their duties for their students We are finding it very hard to adapt to a new school. If the district allowed me I would drive my kids there every morning. Angelica Guerrero

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

All Students72%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10950 Emerson