Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My child's Kindergarten teacher last year was amazing! So grateful for the love and care she gave my daughter. The principle was amazing too! We are excited for this new school year!

My childs 2nd grade teaches needs to retire since she no longer has a passion for teaching. the homework is not consistently passed down to students correctly and the teacher will not let come back to get find out what the assingment was even if it's friday and the work due on tuesday. i reported the issue to the last principal but she left her position before she followed up with us. several time she has cornered our child in front of us looked at him in the eye while raising her voice and point at him saying i know told you to this but you did something else ,of course he's going to agree when you corner him and put him in that situation where he has no way out when confronted by the teacher in public of other students and parents . we fear reaching out to the district due to fear of retaliation of her targeting and failing our child hope fully some reads this and reaches out us on how to go about this properly.

Amount of homework: Agree

if passed down properly with clear cut expectations for students and parents to follow up

Develops character: Strongly disagree

my childs teacher in 2nd grade has had issues passing down homework reading App. thd students & parents were never i structed on how to use it and if not done correctly he will not get credit for it and teacher will asumd and tell you she knows that you as a parent and your child have failed to do your job and that you're being lazy in those words. i reported it to the previouse principal the issue with passing down homework and other non english speaking parents have the same issue. last time spoke to his 2nd grade teacher she looked at my child in the eyes ,raised her voice and pointed at him what she thought he was doing but she never knew he didn't know how to use it . the issue lies in when the homework is not passed down correctly to students hiw do we as parents know what has ti get done and by when,i talked to the teacher on friday for homework due on tuesday she said it was our problem not hers and we couldn't do it at all. the last female principal left before she got back to us and that was the end of it. we fearfull to go to the new principal or school district since she does have the power to fail my child we really don't know what to do anymore.

Many of the teachers need to retire as they've lost their passion for teaching, their energy to do a good job, and their compassion for the students. There are a few teachers who "lead" the decisions of the entire staff (not very representative of all the staff, however), and keep a relatively negative feeling in the workplace for the others. Brand new principal is in over her head.

This was my kids' first year at George Mayne (K & 3) and they felt welcomed and enjoyed their classes. There were a lot of field trips and special events, there are music lessons for grades 3-5, there is a play coach working with the kids during the day and at lunch recess. The teachers are great too. The PTA members are welcoming to new volunteers.

Develops character: Agree

"SOAR" program rewards kids for good behavior, play coach program (featuring Coach Jeff who my kids love!) encourages fair play and cooperation.

I had some doubts about this school before my daughter started attending two years ago. My doubts have been erased as I have seen her grow and learn so much. She loves going to school and the two teachers that she has had, Mr. Tai (kinder/1st grade combo) and now Ms. Hamane have been awesome. They are both so passionate about teaching and wanting their students to succeed. We have a new principal this year and although she's only been here for a couple of months, she seems like a good fit. I like the school's philosophy of positive reinforcement and recognizing the good work/behavior that the kids are putting out there instead of focusing on the negative. The only thing that I really don't like is the physical location of the school. There is construction activity going on all around the school. It's polluting and doesn't seem like a very healthy environment for children with all the dust and diesel trucks constantly coming and going.

This is our first (and only) year at Mayne. All three principals have been really nice. The onsite Boys & Girls Club program and staff are fantastic. However, most of the kids in my daughter's class are mean (huge contrast to her previous school, where she was friends with almost everyone). Her teacher is frequently extremely rude, mean, unprofessional, and has delusions of grandeur. I'm waiting to see if we win the open enrollment lottery for next year. If not, I'll find a way to homeschool or rent a room in our old neighborhood, rather than subject my awesome kid to this school.

School has potential to be great, great principal who is bringing new ideas and staff that is dedicated to better students. Lack of support from parents, office staff that is unorganized and facilities that could use some TLC holding the school back from being great.

Last modified George Mayne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.