Antioch, CA
Students enrolled: 1,970

Posted March 20, 2012
Extremely disappointed with the administration and staff. I can understand that AHS is part of the public school system, but that is not a reason to expect less of the staff. Twenty years ago, counselors where there to assist students with their course needs and had an open door policy for when needed. Now, getting a hold of one is not easy as they are not always available. When it comes to the VP's, I do not know if I believe every word they say because my child gives a different version of the events than they do and unfortunately it has not been just once. Then come the teachers; some do not know the material themselves, let alone teach it. Then they become upset at the student for asking too many questions when he or she does not understand the concept. And finally, the security on site, I cannot believe they avoided an incident that sent a student to the hospital, and yet they feel they can treat students with disrespect simply because they are part of the staff. Overall, extremely disappointed.

Posted June 14, 2011
Well I Would Not allowed My Child to go to this School if Id known that they weren't gonna follow there own school rules as well as allowing my child to play sports without my consent when it was effecting his grades as they not only allowed him to play but would take him outa town for couple days to events that had caused him to dislocate his elbow an Im bein billed $14,000.00 for that hospital bill an had to take him back to ER an X-Rays an prof. doctor visits after that addin up to $22,000.00. amoung other stuff.. There staff hidding an allowing students to stay in there home. Keeping students from Parents without haven that legal right ! Maken your child thinks its ok to let there grades drop as long as they are doing GREAT in Sports..an that thay don't have to do what there parents want is just the WRONG things that you want your child to learn from the ones that are paid to teach whats right an have them look up too.. All because they needed my son to make them look good they tore apart my family!!! Been A year as is still A situation.. So I Wouldn't advise ANYONE to put there kids or family in there hands!!!

Posted April 27, 2011
I am an alumni from Antioch High School, and while I am mostly pleased with the teachers, I feel like the adminstration is lacking. If I had a daughter she would not attend. The hallways are scary and even though there is a "dress code" in place it has NEVER been enforced for the 4 years my son has attended.

Antioch High School 4

Posted February 16, 2011
Hmmm...a lot of complaining I see here. The teacher is a facilitator, not a spoon feeder of academic material. The only way an education works is through engagement (i.e., taking full responsibility for your learning). I graduated from AHS and am now a second year PhD student. Before I graduated, I won 3 world championships in brass performance as a member of the Blue Devils. Success is based, in large part, on earlier successes. That means one HW assignment at a time while continuously identifying and recognizing your particular internal strengths and weaknesses and external opportunities and threats. Most things that get in the way of goals are distractions that can be controlled in a creative ways. NO WHINING. NO EXCUSES. DO OR DO NOT; THERE IS NO TRY.

Posted December 17, 2010
I have taught (substitute teacher) at Antioch High among other schools in this district. A large percentage of the academic grades (about 30%) are "F's". The teacher morale is low and the student body is largely uninterested. All this being said, there are some very committed teachers, and the students can do well as long as parental involvement is high. I would recommend any alternative if possible. It pains me to say these things, but the school is broken!

Antioch High School 0

Posted September 29, 2009
All 5 of my children graduated from Antioch High with an education that prepared them for college. The important factor in any education is to study and to pick the courses that help you attain your goals. Our children went in many directions but all required a college education to reach their desired goal. They got that at Antioch High. The teachers were carrying, which is a trait that should be required.

Posted September 29, 2009
All 5 of my children received a collage preparatory education at this school.

Antioch High School 3

Posted July 27, 2009
The teachers are all so sweet and helpful but the students are troublesome. I never felt safe there.

Posted May 31, 2009
I agree with most of the students here. AHS feels like home. Most teachers want you to give your best and the school is improving a lot. I love it here!

Posted May 27, 2009

Antioch High School
700 West 18th Street, Antioch, CA  94509
Last modified Antioch High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Antioch High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top