Bellflower, CA
Before care: Yes

Southland Christian Academy 1

Posted November 01, 2014
Southland Christian Academy is not what i expected. This school is totally centered around money. They do not prorate they require the full month plus registration regardless of when you start your child. They require you to sale when there is a fundraiser are you will be charged $50.00. They told my child every week to bring money for chapel on Thursdays. They sent home a small barrel to fill with spare change and return weekly. The lunch is not worth the cost. There is no library or gym. There is not enough room for certain extra curriculum classes. I chose spanish or drama for my son and he got aerobics with no explanation. My son was absence for several day due to me having surgery and no one from SCA called to find out why he was absence. The playground seem unsafe and everyday my child came home he complained of kids pushing and/or fighting. One staff in particular unapproachable
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 26, 2014
My son just finished Kinder here at SCA and I am THRILLED with this school! I can't say enough and I'm a little surprised to read a couple of the reviews here. The campus has been remodeled, they have it looking really nice, The teachers are Excellent! The office does seem busy but I appreciate they keep tuition low - I've compared it to nearby schools and this is definitely the best bang for my buck. I never had any trouble getting in touch with his teacher or the office. I would send a note in the morning, get a response the same day. Much different than my daughters school where we weren't allowed to step foot on the campus. I really appreciate the family atmosphere. My son loves going to school and I Love that!

Southland Christian Academy 3

Posted April 15, 2014
I've had my daughter in SCA for the past 2 years, she's attended pre-k and kinder here. So far the education is great, she's reading and writing in cursive and I love the teachers. SCA offers extra-curricular programs that my daughter likes however this school has major faults, not a single person in the office (principal included) returns calls or forwards messages to the teachers. I literally had to stop my daughters teacher in the street after school one day to communicate with her. The lunch program is horrible, the food sounds good on the calendar but when you actually see it, it's burned and I understood why my daughter was so hungry after school. Also the person running the lunch program is rather unprofessional but she's a church member so they take up for her. I also don't like that after school the kinders are co-mingled with the older kids. There are only 3 after-school teachers watching kinders and middle-school kids, they need more help as that's when most kids get in mess. My daughter may have 1 more year here as I here the 1st grade teachers are good but after that we'll be heading out.

Posted February 22, 2013
I'm not sure what some of these reviews are talking about- my child has been enrolled at Southland Christian Academy since preschool and is now in the 6th grade. I am SO proud of him and ALL he has learned at this school. The Principal is the pastors wife and was the Principal before the previous guy. I was So happy when she came back on full time! She is in the office everyday and I see her all the time, she is excellent and really loves the kids. They redid the computer lab this year, put a new roof on, they really keep it nice for the kdis. I am so thankful to this school because I am a single Mom and it gets hard but the school flat out says they are partners with me. I really feel like I have their help and support and together he is turning out to be a great young man. He has earned the Presidents Gold Award and A Honor roll every year since the 1st grade. I love this school and I'm so thankful they keep it affordable.

Posted October 11, 2012
Pros: Best in academics..My son learnt a lot in Preschool and selected as exceptional student category. Teachers are really good. Ms.Betty director of Preschool is amazing person. They always spend time to talk about your kids which some school lacks. Cons: Need better and safe playground for kids

Southland Christian Academy 4

Posted August 21, 2012
The school is great. My child has attended since Kindergarten and all is well. After reading reviews here I may consider withdrawing my child who is going to be in the upper grade levels this year. The parents are heavily involved. The Pastor's wife is the principal of the school and I'm not sure how many years of experience she had in school administration prior to becoming the school principal. The previous principal we would see often and heavily involved. He greeted every parent and student at the gate every morning. You rarely see this new principal except for special events.

Southland Christian Academy 2

Posted May 08, 2012
SOUTHLAND CHRISTIAN ACADEMY, where do I start preschool program great , kindergarden program great, first second and third okay fourth and up take your kid out the teachers for third and fourth are okay when my daughter was going there her third grade teacher was pregnant so always was MIA fourth grade teacher was good but I just didnt like the overall standards of the school, kids dont have a uniform code teachers and parents are not really involve, but i Got to say the preschool and kindergarden program is exepcional.

Posted April 16, 2012
SCA expanded to 8th grade so I am not sure why this site says it goes to 6th grade. My child is in the 7th grade and has attended SCA since Kingergarten I LOVE this school! The staff truly care about the kids and the kids seem to love them too. The work level seems challenging but I love watching my child work hard to succeed. The sports teams all took trophies this year and that made me proud. I can't say enough how happy my child is here- compared to area schools the price is very reasonable and I'm thankful for that.

Posted April 16, 2012
SCA is a ministry of, and owned by Desert Reign Assembly of God Downey CA. I've been the lead pastor of this wonderful congregation for 29 years. I am so proud of Southland's program and staff. Our pledge is to do all we can to provide an excellent education at the best price possible. We seek to instill a Biblical World View within the hearts of our students. While I am grateful that we have a four star rating on this site, we promise to do all we can to earn your five star favor. If at anytime you as a parent are not satisfied with our program, we would welcome your sincere and constructive criticism. Together, with God's help we will build the best Christian school in the Southland.

Posted July 21, 2011
My daughter started attending SCA this past year and I cannot believe how much she has learned so far! Before she started she seemed to really struggle, but now she enjoys going to school and doing homework. The teachers and staff are amazing and always more than helpful to both my daughter any myself. Not to mention all the fun activities they do for the kids! I can honestly say that this school and their staff are a real blessing.

Southland Christian Academy
16400 Woodruff Ave, Bellflower, CA  90706
Last modified Southland Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Southland Christian Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top