Posted September 09, 2014
I love Bret Harte. There is so much for the kids to get involved in and the parents do a lot to help with student enrichment, including bringing in extra teachers for an hour each day to help lower the size of the reading groups. That happens because the parents are dedicated to helping raise the funds needed, and the principal is supportive. The PTA and Boosters Club are always open to new volunteers and are not exclusive to stay at home moms like some other schools around Burbank. I also love the teachers here. I have three kids and my oldest is in 5th grade this year. We have always had the best teachers from the beginning. They all had the same beloved Kindergarten teacher. I know my oldest will be sad to leave at the end of this year. The review that was written on here back in April is just plain wrong and obviously was posted by someone who feels she was wronged in some way. Too bad she didn't talk to the people involved and try to solve her problems rather than anonymously lash out on here. As you can see she is most definitely in the minority and most of us love this school, especially the kids.

Posted August 28, 2014
Just came back home from another wildly successful Back to School night at Bret Harte. We moved here from the Northeast a few years ago and have been pleasantly surprised by our local school. We have a GATE (gifted) kid, an special needs (autistic) kid, and a "traditionally developing" kid. Every single one has been well-served by Bret Harte. It has a successful and welcoming PTA and Booster Club. The principal has a background in special needs and is a wonderful advocate for my children. I am one of those hyper involved parents, and every time I'm at my kid's IEP, I tell the teacher, the resource room teacher, and the Principal that I trust them to place my kid with the teacher that will be best for him/her. I've never requested a specific teacher. Yet, my kids have always landed with the teacher that is perfect for them and our family. I trust the teachers and admins at Bret Harte to do what's best for my kids.

Posted May 21, 2014
I moved to Burbank 11 years ago without knowing anything about the city nor the local schools. My neighbors mentioned that Bret Harte was a friendly community with wonderful teachers. When my first child entered, I was pleasantly surprised by the school. I have now grown to trust the teachers, principal, and staff to help my children be smart and model citizens. Bret Harte is a treasure and we are grateful for all they have given our family.

Posted May 09, 2014
Moved to Burbank for the public schools and happened to be zoned to Bret Harte. Starting kindergarten as a first time parent was nerve wracking enough, but everyone at the school made us feel right at home. From the teachers, to the many parent volunteers and especially from Principal Taylor. I highly recommend this school and feel so fortunate to have my daughter attending and about to become a second grader. She has been challenged, inspired and has really become a more confident young girl. The Arts are definitely encouraged which she really has taken an interest in. Lots of parental involvement and an active PTA and Booster club. We've loved our daughter's teachers who have kept us informed and alerted us when our daughter was having any difficulties, giving us the information we needed to help her overcome them. Principal Taylor is amazing as well. She makes herself available to everyone and I don't think I've ever been to a school function and not seen her there. If you're on this site like I was a few years ago just before we closed on our house hoping for the best, you've found it!

Posted May 07, 2014
Our daughter is a second grader and sending her to Bret Harte is the best decision we have made for her. Principal Taylor is a exemplary leader and her commitment and integrity is above board.. Our daughter has good grades but we appreciate the effort Principal Taylor makes for the low scoring students. This helps raise the overall standards of the school. Principal Taylor knows all her students and goes above and beyond to address concerns that parents have. The teachers our daughter has had so far have been great and have helped our daughter get better not only at her studies but also adapt to the school environment which can be challenging in the early years. I would highly recommend Brett Harte for those looking for a good school.

Posted May 05, 2014
When we were evaluating schools, we selected Bret Harte because of Principal Taylor's commitment to sustaining a well rounded curriculum despite challenging budget cuts. Art, music, P.E., and technology are the norm here. Academics are bolstered by split school schedules and at-level reading groups which effectively reduce class size for part of the school day. Now that our son is nearing the end of Kindergarten, we feel even better about our choice. Principal Taylor is a constant, positive presence who is a model of hard work and dedication. We can't think of an event she's missed or a time she hasn't been there for the kids. Mr. B. is wonderful. He balances academics with creativity. He uses music, movement and games to make the environment fun and the learning involved and active. He is a caring teacher who challenges his students and has faith in their abilities. Our son has thrived in his class andhas grown into an eager and confident student. Parental involvement is very welcome by the Principal and teachers and everyone works well together to support the students. We look forward to many happy years at this school.

Posted April 27, 2014
The below comment is absolute nonsense, I am a father of students who attend this school, your comment about the leader not doing favors without something in return is ludicrous. She has done many favors for my family over the years with nothing for her to gain. Sorry you feel this way about her and our school. Have you addressed your concerns with her at all? I am far from a celebrity and she's always helped us out.

Bret Harte Elementary School 1

Posted April 26, 2014
The worst school by far...because of its terrible uncaring leader who is influenced by the monetary favors she receives by parents. Your children will not be challenged. The principal will not listen to your concerns, she will only sugar coat her lack of knowledge of how to run a school, teachers are kept to substandard lessons. If your child succeeds they will not be challenged in GATE. They only care to try to bring up the scores of lower scoring students, yet it the long run even they do not acquire any knowledge. Although I graduated 35 years ago from Harte, my children have only suffered. Parents will ask for favors from the principal and those who are celebrities or are giving her something in return will get what they want. Unless the principal leaves, the children will have no hope. Get a new school, save your sanity

Posted April 17, 2014
We've been touring schools lately, as our son is preparing to register for transitional kindergarten. We were very impressed with the quality of the facilities, and the teaching and support staff at Brett Harte. They also had a great book fair.

Posted September 07, 2013
We think Bret Harte is great. Our son has had excellent teachers over the years. The office is friendly.

Bret Harte Elementary School
3200 West Jeffries Avenue, Burbank, CA  91505
Last modified Bret Harte Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bret Harte Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top