K-8|Private

Bad
Good

St. Mary's is truly a community, not just a school. My older daughter left another private school because of bullying to come to St. Mary's. She was welcomed by her classmates and has thrived since joining the school. My younger daughter attended a different school for one month, but once she saw how happy her older sister was, she begged to join her. My younger one states regularly how she enjoys being challenged in the classroom, telling me "Mom my old school was too easy!". It is obvious the teachers see their role as a vocation, not just a job. We are here for the duration, until graduating from 8th grade. So happy we found St. Mary's and can call this school home!

St. Mary's is providing the education my child needs. It is a wonderful alternative to the diminishing public school curriculum. Art, music, foreign language, physical education, and technology are all a part of St. Mary's curriculum beginning in Kindergarten. Our first grader is also making great strides in math, English, language arts, history, science, and religion. Children and families at St. Mary's are supported by caring, talented teachers; an effective and trustworthy administration; and a community of parents who volunteer their time and give freely of their talents on a daily basis. We also have the support of an after school program that provides a safe place for our children to work on homework, have fun together, grab an after school snack, and engage in fun activities while we finish up our day at work.

St Mary's offers more quality academic offerings at a time when public schools are cutting back. They have added 10 school days to the year while our neighborhood public school just cut school days and programs due to the CA budget. The Spanish program, PE and the Arts keep our two students engaged while the core curriculum provides them with a solid foundation in language arts, math, social science, science and religion. The on-site after school program is safe and convenient. The teachers and new principal all have our student's BEST INTEREST in mind and the $100,000 technology grant is putting iPads in the middle school students hands. GREAT parent involvement and support. A great community that provides families with an education option that reinforces Catholic Values our kids today need CHARACTER-building, solid role models and active examples of being good citizens. St. Marys Catholic Educators weave this into each day and I see the impact it has in my kids. As a parent I can t ask for anything more.

Our daughter is now a sixth grader at SMMS and the school, its faith based values and its teachers have helped her develop into a pre-teen with strong critical thinking skills who is able to amaze us daily with the decisions she makes based on doing the right thing with integrity. I credit the teachers and the faith based academic environment as a significant contributor to who she has become. The academic instruction continues to be excellent. The prinicapal most recently had the vision to add math enrichment for grades 4&5 as a prep to the junior high honors program across all subjects. I am particularly pleased that a second language program was introduced this year for all grades k thru 8! The parent population is very active and provides a strong sense of family to all students.

Our family is extremely happy with this school! We feel that it is the best school for our children and could not imagine them anywhere else. The staff not only challenges the students academically and spiritually, but they also show compassion and truly want to see each child succeed! We see the christian values not only being taught in the classroom, but also out on the playground. I love seeing the upper grades working so closely with the younger grades. It feels like we belong to big family! Each family, teacher, and staff member gives something special! With all of the amazing things SMMS has to offer, we are so blessed to be apart of this wonderful school!

We have met so many wonderful families at this school that we will be friends with for the rest of our lives. Our children are secure and have friends who are wonderful children. As a parent, I feel safe that I know all the families so well. Our children are thriving academically and we have complete faith in the staff. Our faith is the most important thing to our family, we could not imagine a curriculum that is not based on our faith. Therefore, we couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

I am parent that has been involved with this school for more than 7+ years. It is sad to have seen so many people leave. The principal has done nothing effective to stop the bleeding of great families leaving the school. She has taken a great school and turned it upside down. You will here people left due financial issue, but the truth is that people left due to a poor teacher, children not being protected from mistreatment from others, and poor administration. We have been forced to leave a school we once supported with all or our hearts and efforts. Many people who left have said their kids have been happier and have had a stronger academic foundation at their new schools. We hope that the school makes some significant changes to improve.

I love this school! It's sad to see that a parent would leave just because one teacher leaves and not based on what the school is like overall. By the way, I thank God that the teacher mentioned below left because teaching was not for here and she was like a Jude amongst the other teachers and staff. The teacher that took her place is so much better and really cares about her students. That is what I notice about the rest of the teachers in the school: they care about their students and they work hard to prepare them well academically, socially and spiritually. I'm glad my child goes to SMMS. He loves his school and likes to participate in the many extracurricular activities that the school offers. He particularly likes participating in the annual musical that every grade puts on. I highly recommend SMMS to anybody who's considering it.

I had my children attending this school and felt that it was not on par with what I expected from a private school. There was a lack of leadership and I was never sure who was in charge when it came to resolving issues. There were many changes internally while we were there which led to some teachers leaving the school, which in turn validated our decision to leave as well. The school provides a lot in terms of safety, but if you are looking for a place for your child to excel emotionally and academically then there are certainly other options that should be considered. We found that a public school could offer the same and perhaps even more than this school did.

My family has been at SMMS for three years, and we love it. Both of my children are doing extremely well academically due in large part to the excellent faculty at SMMS. Both of my children have participated in several of the extracurricular activities offered at the school including band, choir, Club 20 Spanish enrichment, basketball, volleyball, track, as well as student council, Camarillo Academic Olympics and several community service projects spearheaded by the students themselves. The commitment SMMS shares with me to provide an education for my children that is strong in academics and rich in spiritual values is invaluable.

Last modified St. Mary Magdalen is a Private school that serves grades K-8