Buena Vista Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Carlsbad

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $500,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,540.

Posted April 28, 2014

This is a great smaller school with nice kids and friendly and helpful Parent's. My son goes to the pre-school here and it has been a terrific experience for him, Miss Stacie, Miss Lynn, & Miss Michelle Rock!! Yes, three teachers in this fee based program! It is a program for special needs with typical peers. Excellent program!

Posted January 5, 2014

My daughter's first year at Buena Vista has been more than we could ask for. At first she didn't want to go to a new school, but she absolutely adores her teacher and has met some great friends. The parents I've met are very nice and I have made some friends myself :). There has been some really fun family events such as the campout and a Holiday fun night with Santa. My daughter has bragged about some cool assemblies, and she loves her art, PE, computer, and music classes. There is some fundraising, but I believe that's the case for all schools these days due to the State cutbacks. I haven't spent nearly as much as I have at the previous school and everything has felt low pressure and optional.

Posted September 28, 2013

We left after one year. Boring program, lots of meaningless worksheets. No modifications for an advanced student. Lack of parental involvement, aloof principal. I felt no connection to this school, and neither did my child. We started a new school this year and we are much happier. I would view the 5-star reviews skeptically. It's not a bad school, but nothing special is happening here to make this a 5-star school. No, it's not like a private school just because its small. I was fooled by that one.

Posted August 29, 2013

Lovely school and lovely teachers! My kids have had a wonderful experience and love it there!

Posted August 26, 2013

Thankfully our transfer request was approved and I used greatschools to help me find a better one to send my kid to. Readong other reviews I see the ones that are longer and less stars are the ones that sound more like real Buena vista when the short all star reviews sound like the principal talking at an assembly for reals. Two years here was enough. I think people who live in this area think they're better than they are. Some houses are millions in the area and those kids dont go here get real. I agree with the next review that I have to teach alot at home because the teacher doesn't. They have a lot of squirels, possums, gophers and bugs, my son was so upset when he saw a dead gopher. There are a lot of gopher holes to trip in on the playground.

Posted August 22, 2013

We are starting our 3rd year at BV next week. The school is so-so. The school pulls students from two very different socioeconomic neighborhoods, a middle class area east of the I-5 and poorer area west of the I-5. The school gets high test scores, but it's due to the teachers pushing, pushing, and pushing. Notice I didn't say teaching. My son was doing 45 minutes of homework every day after school in 1st grade. I dread what it will be this year. I truly believe most of his learning is done at home with me instead of in the classroom. Expect to be hit up for donations for the never ending fund raisers. Last week, 2 weeks before school starts, I got the first email of the year, and not to disappoint, 90% of it was about fund raisers. For the person who commented: "...those acting like they had money didn't show it off by donating to the school like real affluent people do." Wow! I wonder how much they pay in taxes every year. This is not an "affluent" neighborhood, it's middle class. The school hasn't been updated/remodeled in many years due to the desire of the school district to close the school. I'm sure they will make another attempt in a couple of years.

Posted August 21, 2013

I question these 5-star reviews. I paid attention as a parent and the hype doesn't match the reality. The neighborhoods feeding into the school are beach/ghetto at best. The effect is devastating to the make-up of the school. Unfortunately, some of the self-important psychopath parents take the entitled attitude too far. Best evident in the multiple-failed PTA leaders who really didn't come through unless their own child was the star of the particular event. Sense of service was completely lacking and those acting like they had money didn't show it off by donating to the school like real affluent people do. The facilities are sub par as the school, built in the early 1960s, lacks modern touches in architecture. Technology in the classrooms is aged (4+ years is OLD) except for a small cache of iPads before their theft. Lack of leadership, teacher instability, lack of focus and lack of parental involvement may all be guilty parties to this lack of success. Being that it is very small (280-ish students) and a great deal of the kids are in lunch programs, don't speak English at home, etc... A lot of class time is wasted on the low-performers and behaviorally-challenged.

Posted August 12, 2013

Buena Vista Elementary, located in Carlsbad California is a small school filled with wonderful teachers, kind hearted staff, friendly parents and best of all, amazing students who are playful, well mannered, thoughtful, and smart! And thanks to the teachers, I see students at Buena Vista Elementary growing and learning in an amazingly school spirited, safe environment. Go Dolphins!!!

Posted April 23, 2013

2nd year for my 2 daughters. The improvement in both of them, from reading, math and general overall ability is night and day from their old school in NorCal. A massive improvement.

Posted April 14, 2013

Great school and great teachers! I am amazed by how much my child has learned at this school. All the children seem to be having fun while learning. My child is excited to go to school everyday.

Posted March 3, 2013

Great school...smallest in the district, much like a private school. Awesome teachers and staff. PTA is very involved in fund raisers and events. Locked gates, very secure.

Posted May 23, 2012

Buena Vista is definitely a school to watch! Since Principal Howard has been in leadership of BV, nothing but good has transpired. Test scores have risen, numerous awards have been awarded, professional development was provided to all teachers, school-wide activities have increases, and an overall feel of community is in the air. This, I believ, is due to principal leadership, dedicated teachers and staff, and fabulous students and families.

Posted May 6, 2012

BV is a hidden little gem. My Kids are thriving academically and socially at this school. Because we are smaller than other elementary schools the atmosphere is like a small private school. I love knowing the other families and students. The leadership is focused and produces results. We have Ipads and a comprehensive program for all our students. It has been a great learning tool. Once you visit you will want to be apart of our community.

Posted April 23, 2012

Buena Vista is a wonderful school in every way. I actually chose the school and moved to the area based on the data I had read on Great Schools, and I've never regretted the decision. The teachers and staff are warm and wonderful, and have led our students to continually raise API scores, and this year we are recieving the State of California's Distinguished School Award. Every student gets to benefit from weekly Computer Lab, iPad Class, Music, Art and PE that are mostly funded by the PTA and community support, so we don't need to depend on the state's ever dwindling shool $$, and are things that most of the other local schools don't have. In addition to the academic and technological advantages that BV has, it is close to the freeway but tucked away in a quiet neighborhood so picking up the kids is easy and safe. There is a fabulous school garden (my son just brought home a piece of fresh sugarcane as a treat for helping to weed), new playground equipment, and the playground and many of the classrooms have a view of the ocean. All of this combined with the involved parents and happy kids make it like getting the benefits of private school without the cost. We love BV!

Posted January 13, 2012

I definitely would recommend this school to anyone with children in the area. It is a good school. It is a smaller school K-5 and has a good principal. When little children run up to hug the principal - you know she is a good, caring principal! They are starting to get more teachers aides in the classroom, so that means extra help for our little ones. The kids who go to this school are good. They are friendly little kids. The parents and teachers ( and principal) care about this school and it shows!

Posted January 14, 2011

The teachers are wonderful at this school. I like the open-door policy at this school, and feel all teachers are available when I need to talk with them, and they listen and care! I think the principal is great. She too, is always available when I need to discuss something. She has taken care of all of my needs whenever I've needed help. She's a strong leader, and wants to make it a great school. I'm very pleased with all of their efforts at this school. They care about the children. I am unhappy with lack of parental participation. Always same group doing everything.

Posted September 3, 2009

Prompted to write this because of the disparity in rankings on previous reviews. I have 2nd & 3rd-graders in the 09/10 year. Mrs. Howard is in her second year as a principal. Though test scores greatly improved, I'd dare to speculate that it is because it is a small school (270 students) and those higher-achievers are from more well-to-do families and haven't been hit by the foreclosure crisis. I agree Mrs. Howard is aloof, I saw her out more later last year. We are not going to wait for the school to teach the kids, we start at home. We'll let the teachers 'polish them off.' We like the teachers so far. The 'Kids Care' after school program is more of an 'supervised play' program but is very helpful to our family.

Posted September 2, 2009

There is a severe disconnect between leadership and teaching staff. There is a much more severe disconnect between leadership and the students. I have had the fortune of being a parent at another school and have something to judge principal involvement by. The kids love their teachers and most of the kids are genuine. Parental involvement is lacking and, I might add, it is directly a result of the leadership of the school. If I had the money, I'd move to a better part of the district and move the teachers there with me! A note about many of the teachers: They've been there for a long time, most live in the area and had kids who attended BV.

Posted May 18, 2009

I have 2 children that attend Buena Vista and I can't begin to tell you how much we LOVE the school. I have been involved in PTA for the past 4 years and spend alot of time at the school helping in any way that I can. I love that we have a family feel at buena Vista and that the door is always open to speak with Ms Howard and the teachers. The school has been working hard to improve testing scores and to get more parents involved,and I am looking forward to the many great things that are to come for our school. I would recommend Buena Vista to any parents that are looking for a school where your children can really feel at home, make long lasting friends and have teachers and a principle that really care.

Posted April 30, 2009

My twins are in kindergarden at Buena Vista and we absolutely LOVE this school. Any and all special needs are addressed and met by the teachers and staff, and BV has a lot of programs that are no longer available at the other public schools. The school is small, so it's like getting the benefits of a private school without the cost. While I do agree with the other parents comments about the Principal, Mrs. Howard, she does have a softer side that she doesn't show often. She has a bit of a superiority complex and considers her opinions as an 'educator' to be much more valuable than those of the parents. I get the feeling that this is true with the teachers as well. If she were more in tune with us about class placement, etc and spoke to us as equals, BV would be a perfect 10!

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students70%

• Tina Howard
Fax number
  • (760) 720-0741

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now