Posted November 06, 2013
This school has changed the lives of many young men that have attended and are attending.

Posted October 08, 2013
The Army and Navy academy has just had its 103th birthday. Having over one Century of history, this school develops the sense of honor integrity in its students. It is more than common courtesy, but actually taking pride in what we do and who we are. The affinity this shcool has with the US Military Academy, West Point, NY has given its cadets abundant knowledge of the military. While thriving to achieve excellent academic stardards, the Army and Navy Academy puts in good character and good life attitude in its students. The thing I love the most about this academy is the fact that it has really small class (12 people ave). Students have plenty of opportunities to communitcate with teachers. Studnets can ask questions in extra time in the evening and afternoon, teachers will be in classrooms to assist. One thing that this school might want to improve is to have classes start later. This is my second year in this school. I love its unique structure and its traditions.

Posted August 25, 2013
Our son attended the JROTC leadership camp this year. It was an amazing experience for him and us, as parents. During his sophomore and junior year at high school in Hawaii, he was having challenges particularly focusing on his work. To our great surprise, this summer program resulting in him receiving 8 ribbons, appointed commander of the 2nd platoon, and graduated in the top 10% of his class to achieve "Honor Graduate". My wife and I could not have been happier. He is there at the ANA now for his senior year and feels right at home with his peers and officers. The change in him is exactly what we have been praying to see. This is one of the best decisions that we have made and I personally believe that boys are missing out on a great opportunity to become men and leaders if they have not visiting this amazing campus on the Pacific ocean. I just spoke to him today and he is settling in and is ready to assume a strong leadership role and knows that he will be appreciated for his contributions to this school. I have not seen him this motivated and determined to succeed in years. Bravo ANA!

Army and Navy Academy 4

Posted August 22, 2013
At Army and Navy, classes are much easier to understand, making it less difficult to pass and helped me maintain a good GPA. At my old public school, the teachers were too busy dealing with six classes of thirty to fifty students, so they could not spend time with people who were struggling. With a small ratio of students to teachers, Army and Navy teachers were able to spend time to give extra lessons to struggling students. Dorm life is difficult to get used to, especially at an all boys school, but it was enjoyable enough to keep me through the year. Senior year was especially the best when it comes to dorm life. Seniors have more freedom in choosing their rooms as well as roommates. The best part about Army and Navy was that we were right on the beach. The beach in Carlsbad that the school resides in is very beautiful; with warm sand and cool waters, it was the best place to be when you want to relax and get away from school stress during your free time. The best thing that has happened to me at Army and Navy was building confidence and self esteem. I've always had low confidence and self esteem, but after going through Army and Navy, I feel much better about myself.

Posted July 16, 2013
I was only a boarding student for my senior year. I enjoyed it a lot more than going home on a daily basis. The rooms are set up sort of like a college dorm. A bed with a desk under it with a desk light, closet space for uniforms, and a set of dresser drawers that can be locked. Rooms are assigned, for new students, according to each cadet s interests and preferences. Returners are allowed to pick their roommate as long as the choice is approved by the Commandant and Residential life officer. If there is a problem with a roommate, arrangements can be made for students to move rooms. I was always a very good and diligent student during my time at the Academy. The attention that the teachers would give you if you needed it was phenomenal and very helpful. The average class size is about 15 students per every one teacher. There are a wide variety of classes for students to choose from. Different Advanced Placement and Honors courses are available to students if they are interested in that. The environment is very competitive but friendly at the same time. Overall, the Academy was very helpful to preparing me for real life.

Posted May 18, 2013
The Academy follows U.C. standards and 98% of seniors matriculate to college and universities. These are stats from the past 5 years and only a small % go off to the miltary after graduating. With graduates at MIT, John Hopkins, UCLA, NYU, Rutgers, Penn State, we are very proud of our graduates. Find out more by speaking directly to parents and alumni.

Army and Navy Academy 1

Posted May 13, 2013
While this school pretends to be a college prep school, it is nothing short of Animal House in uniform. Students getting caught with tobacco and alcohol get a slap on the wrist, no discipline unless you call doing push ups and running laps discipline. Many of the teachers have little respect from the students, deservingly so. If you give a child multiple attempts to complete something with no repercussion, how can they have respect? Doesn't matter if its a teacher or parent. The students run the school. Someone else wrote about inflated grades. We couldn't agree more. Our son did so poorly on national exams and that is a direct reflection on the school and what they are teaching. They teach the bare minimums. Is that what you want for your son? If you are going to pay all this money, go to a school with teachers who stay year to year and have advanced degrees to be role models for your son. Army Navy, shame on you for falsely luring families in just to turn out recruits for the military. parents don't be blinded by the hype. Kids don't return the following year because parents listened to them and found out the truth about what's happening there.

Army and Navy Academy 1

Posted May 10, 2013
I cannot recommend this school to any one. My son went during middle school years and basically the school is "dumbed" down with a grading scale that has 59 as a passing grade and what normally is an F in other states, is a C at this school. To make matters worse, the school allows the students to make up failing test grades and keeps the highest grade for parents to see so they think their son is doing great. The grades are artifically inflated to make the parents happy and keep paying the money to send their son here. Meanwhile the students are losing ground with their peers even in public schools. And if they see your son is not too bright, they will stick him in minimum core classes only and focus on military training. The students have video games and tv's in their rooms and freedom to roam the streets. At 12, this is a nightmare waiting to happen to some poor child. This school is only interested in churning out military recruits because they are too ignorant to graduate college. THey may get in, but don't graduate. This is NOT a typical military boarding school. it will not help your child if he has no self control or self discipline. There are much better options.

Posted January 15, 2013
This is not a reform school, or a military prison school. If your son is uncontrollable elsewhere, he will continue to be so here. Yes, they have military influences covering much of daily life, but the school does allow boys some level of self-determination, as well as access to off-campus. I don't see how you can blame a school if your son starts smoking. I'm not rich, yet my son was treated great. He had to work hard in classes, and ended up graduating as valedictorian and receiving a full scholarship to college. He participated in so many activities and won so many badges/pins I used to joke with him that his uniform looked like some sort of South American dictator! In public school he only did the minimum asked of him. He agreed to go to ANA in 8th grade as a day student, and then begged to board there for the rest of his time. He was allowed to make mistakes, and learned how to correct for them. The attention he got from teachers/counsellors was amazing. He made great friends from around the world. He's turned out to be an incredible adult, and I give ANA a lot of credit for that.

Posted July 06, 2012
As a recent alumni from the academy i can say that this school has easily changed my life. I entered the Army and Navy academy in the 7th grade with a 0.35 GPA. I recently graduated with a 4.14 GPA and just finished my first year at UCLA. This school changed my life, completely turned me around and changed me from a lazy man, to a responsible and competent man.

Army and Navy Academy
2605 Carlsbad Boulevard, Carlsbad, CA  92008
Last modified Army and Navy Academy is a Private school that serves grades 7-12
Army and Navy Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 37 reviews.