Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Proctor Elementary School 3

Posted October 26, 2015
Our experience at Proctor has been a mixed bag. My son has had some very good teachers that were very dedicated and good at their job, but not well-equipped for the varying student needs. There was also a teacher that was beyond stressed out and raised her voice at the students - strangely, she was awarded teacher of the year. That same teacher said all year long that my son was meeting standards, and then the last report card of the year showed he was struggling. Very frustrating - clearly she did not have the capacity to deal with a student with special needs. We also struggled to get an IEP for my son - it took three meetings and a lot of excuses from the school staff. We were told that they weren't sure he qualified, even though he clearly qualified due to a health impairment and had documented issues. Even with an IEP in place, he has received very little support and is drowning in math. His teacher's response was to say that "he needs to memorize his times tables." There is a complete disregard for his learning difficulties. The staff all seem to CARE and the curriculum is fine, but I wouldn't say that CV schools are GREAT. If your child doesn't fit the mold, he or she will have difficulties at this school and will likely struggle with self-esteem. Additionally, like all CA schools, this one struggles with finances, so science is limited to 2x a week and funded by fundraising. This year Safeway stopped helping fund the school, so parents are asked to make up the difference. For science! And the class count this year (4th grade) jumped from 28 students per class to 35. So, again, this school is just your average CA school and yet you pay a premium to live in CV.

Posted January 31, 2015
Unlike the parent on the review before me, I APPRECIATE the fact that my rambunctious son is held accountable for his behavior. I can't be with him 24/7 and I am quite aware that although smart and lovable, he isn't an angel all the time. I think the teachers have been fair and I support them 100%. The teachers and staff put in a great deal of time planning lessons and activities for the children. I am impressed with the group of parents who volunteer and the school leadership is always willing to listen. I have volunteered in my children's rooms every year and I see how difficult the job truly is. After one hour, I leave exhausted and have to go home and take a nap!

Proctor Elementary School 2

Posted December 13, 2014
Not a good school for boys that aren't girl like. I know that sounds confusing but rough housing, sports, being active is pretty much prohibited at this school. I wish they would look at how Chabot Elementary treats boys. I have had 3 boys go through this school. 2 of them are now thriving after they got out of there. My son in kindergarten was accused of being a racist which later on was proven that it was an issue with the parents of the adopted child not my son. Later on he made a boyish joke towards a girl and because of that joke he had the police called on him. One of my other sons was tormented by a girl and he basically got told that he better be nicer to her and maybe she will be nicer to him. He didn't even want her around him. She would hit or kick him and go tell that he was being mean to her. The punishment is always to take away their recess no matter what. Worst thing you can possibly ever do to a boy for acting up in class. Go make him run for 30 min. Come on your educators boys need to let out energy. Stop treating the boys like girls.

Proctor Elementary School 4

Posted September 08, 2014
Proctor School has a very dedicated staff -all the way from the classroom, the from office, administration as well as support staff. I am very thankful my child had an opportunity to attend this school from K-5. Staff is currently very involved in trying new strategies and implementing common core standards. We love Proctor!

Proctor Elementary School 3

Posted May 27, 2014
Proctor Elementary is a good school overall. The school needs improvement with teachers though. My daughter has been at the school since kindergarten and has had 2 below par teachers. Your child might receive a good teacher or they may not. My child is starting middle school in August and is failing math.

Posted April 04, 2011
awesome school just graduated last year and i still visit because i miss this school

Proctor Elementary School

Posted October 04, 2009
Proctor is a very supportive community school that brings many parents into cooperative relationships with the teachers and principal to create a truly fun learning environment for the children and good community relations that span several generations now.

Posted May 15, 2009
I have been part of Proctor's community for 5 years now. I can honestly say that I have never seen such a hard working staff. When I drive home from work at 6:00 pm, there are still many teachers still at work. My children have learned so much and have had a marvelous time with all the activies Proctor offers. I am also impressed with the amount of parents who regularly volunteer. My family loves Proctor Elementary!

Proctor Elementary School 4

Posted May 06, 2009
Contrary to the first poster there are FOUR special needs classes to deal with kids with disabilities or learning disorders. There is an onsite reading specialist and the level of dedication in the teaching staff is by far and away superb. I have two sons who are well behaved in and out of the class therefore possibly they have had a different experience than a kid who's sub-par behavior is justified as 'simply being a boy.' The parents need to begin upping their monetary donations to the school so we can continue our K-3 Science program(the only one in Castro Valley!) and our computer lab instruction. Both of these areas are incredibly interesting to my now 3rd and 1st grade sons. We have had warm and fuzzy teachers who have taught their socks off!

Posted September 14, 2008
This school is a great school. Lots of parent involvement. Teachers are very caring and even principle is very involved.

Proctor Elementary School
17520 Redwood Road, Castro Valley, CA  94546-1434
Last modified Proctor Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Proctor Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top