Mount Diablo High School

Public | 9-12 | 1610 students

Sweep tile

Posted December 21, 2012

My daughter was picked on for being a "stupid white girl" at this school. She was an honor student, so not "stupid" and she couldn't very well stop being white! There are a few good teachers, but there are some that are terrible and play favorites. Very little parental involvement. Another review mentioned the leadership program. Well, my daughter was in leadership. It is true the kids there were nicer, but all in all, it was a horrible experience for her. She transferred after two years and was much happier. Many students at this school are racist. It was as bad as we had heard, but we didn't believe it until we found out for ourselves. Transfer if you can to avoid sending your kids this school. Our neighbors had it right. They moved to the Concord High area when their kids were in middle school.

Posted September 6, 2012

I love Mount Diablo High and although my kids are slated to attend College Park in high school I plan on sending them to MDHS!

Posted October 9, 2010

The best location in Concord with the best caring staff anyone could ask for. I appreciate all their hard work that they give our children considering the lack of parents input and funds. Mt Diablo has a lot of great programs. Parents involvement is very important, so be a part of Mt and let your child shine.

Posted August 9, 2010

I have been reading about all the bad things at Mount, and I must say that MOST of the students and staff are wonderful. A very visible minority has caused a lot of problems, but most days, one can go about the business of education without worrying about the negative elements. I am hopeful that the new year will bring more consistent enforcement of rules and even exclusion of those who would prefer to not be there. Given the demographic obstacles, this school has accomplished a lot, and I believe that it will continue to improve. Dr. LeBoeuf was a positive force, and she will be missed. I'm looking forward to meeting the new principal and staff, and starting the year on a positive note. Sure wish we had wealthy families who could donate for more library time, reading specialists, etc., but we do pretty well given our very limited resources.

Posted June 28, 2010

Oh, it's not that bad! And this is coming from an antisocial nerd like myself. There's the right and wrong people to hang out with, and the wrong people don't want you to hang out with them if you don't want to. The academic programs are great, and a lot of the teachers do care. We have a leadership program, and it really helps kids get involved. For me, it was hard to get used to (I transferred from a real tight-knit christian private school), but it wasn't hard to find the right friends despite how shy I was, and my education is a lot better off because of it. (C'mon, if you keep talking about my school this way, I'll feel like my 4.0 means nothing here!)

Posted May 26, 2010

Not the school to go to if your child is fluent in English but needs special education instruction. As with a lot of schools in California, they are overrun by ESL students and it makes it impossible for the teachers to do their jobs and actually teach academics. Kids that go to this school are disrespectful, destructive and the school creates the environment that allows them interfere with the education of students who need more supervision.

Posted March 21, 2010

This school Is unsafe has drug problems and a horrible enviroment for education

Posted September 28, 2009

We are a very culterally diverse school with a multitude of talents which are celebrated through the gifts of our students.

Posted September 27, 2009

Mount Diablo High School has a great team of dedicated educators and administrators who give their all to teach in a very challenging environment.

Posted September 18, 2009

I am so far okay what the school has to offer, my daughters enjoy the school and the teachers. They seem to be having a ball, they are involved the Culinary Academy that they have there so we will see as the school year progresses.

Posted September 9, 2009

I'm a student at Mt. Diablo High School and it's my freshman year here. Although it's my first year I can tell that all the teachers here are absolutely WONDERFUL. They really try to teach the kids what they need to know, and try to make it fun and interesting. There's talk about gangs and whatnot, but most of the kids usually keep to themselves from what I've seen. I just moved from another city and I had no friends here whatsoever, and although it was tough, I made some friends and focused on my classes and I really enjoy this school. A lot of the teachers let you keep your textbooks inside the classroom or keep them at home, so you don't have to lug everything around. The only thing I don't really like is that the lockers are mostly for the seniors and juniors. Other then that, it's great!

Posted January 10, 2009

Mount is totally given a bad rap... I went there and hated every minute of it but what 14-18 yr. old doesn't hate High school? If you stick to yourself and know the right people to hang out with and actually study like your supposed to it's awesome, join an academy, Mount has lots of them. I joined IHTA (International Hospitality and Tourism Academy) when I was a Sophomore and couldn't have loved the teachers more especially Chef Kevin and Scott Ananos, they were the best teachers of all. At Mount you find alot of teachers who wouldn't choose to work anywhere else because they get to work with the great students Mount produces. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have changed a thing. Thank you Chef Kevin and Scott you made High School tolerable. - Aly Moore Class of 2005

Posted December 19, 2008

Mount Diablo High School is great school. There is a lot to do here. Mt. Diablo is a very diverse school and yes there's bad thingd that happen in this school but there more good things than bad. We have the International Hospitality and Tourism Academy which teachers many good skills useful for later on in life. we are also part of FHA-HERO which is a home economic related Association. we have Biotech Academy, Fame Academy, Digital Safari Academy and Construction and Engenering Academy. This are all great academies and we have many Clubs that anyone can be a part of Latino club, Black Student Union, Plant Ecology Club, Art club and many more. Mt. Diablo is a great school that your son/daughter can be a part of and will leave with a positive attitude and will have potential as a leader that you become here.

Posted August 24, 2008

I'm a student at Mount Diablo High and I think it's an awesome school. Sure there's all this bad talk of gangs and violence and what not. Isn't there a little bit of that at every school? If you overlook all of that, you'll come to see that Mount is a great school with a very diversified student body. There's something for everyone here. Interested in music? Join the band! Want to become a doctor? Join the biotech academy! Love to dance? Join the dance class! By the way, I know the teachers for each of those classes, and they're awesome. I came to think of them more as friends instead of teachers. I'm going to be a sophomore and this is what I think of Mount so far. Thank you for your time.

Posted March 13, 2008

Most people look at the school having a bad reputation with gangs, low test scores and having bad grades. In actuality, it's more of the fault of teachers and classroom size. Some teachers are completely unorganized and don't have a lesson plan prepared, so it makes it difficult for students to learn especially when teachers aren't put together. There is a shortage of teachers making classes large and difficult to hear lectures, see the board and receiving attention from the teacher. However, a way to get away from 'bad' teachers and disruptive students is to join one of the outstanding academies Mount Diablo High has to offer. I, myself is actually in the Digital Safari Academy. In academies, you receive a more intimate relationship with teacher who honestly do want their students to succeed.

Posted January 30, 2008

We have some wonderful and dedicated students, teachers, staff and programs!

Posted November 11, 2007

As a parent and PTSA Board member at Mt Diablo, I can state yes, it is up to the staff and teachers to instruct the students, but it is also up to the students to participate in their education and for parents to be involved. It is not enough to send your child to school, you need to make sure that they do their work and listen to the teachers. Some of the classes have control issues but not because of the teachers, but rather because of the lack of parents teaching their children respect. The principal does everything to make this a great school and your review of her falls WAY short. If you really want to see just what kind of principal she is, come to the campus or the PTSA meetings, she will blow you away with what she has accomplished!

Posted February 24, 2007

I attend school at Mount Diablo. Although our school, has one of the worst reputaions around, but also has some of the best programs around. Many people are not aware of our different academies. Our Digital Safari Academy aka DSA(involving technology and multi media), our International Hospitality and Tourism Acadamy aka IHTA (culinary learning), FAME, and also the Bio-Technology (working with the hospital, where you can have a six week internship with a professional of your choice). Our athletic program is working its way up. Teachers at our school are very supportive especially ones involved in an academy.

Posted May 24, 2005

Very good all the way around.

Posted May 23, 2004

Mount has many problems but still it's a great school with many dedicated teachers. The teachers are always there when you need them and are willing to give you extra help if you need it. The administration has problems keeping control, but otherwise this school is very diverse with many different cultures. Sometimes there are fights for no apparent reason and it's one of the down falls of this school.

This school's

(2012)

2 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

304 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

307 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

298 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

316 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students16%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)50%
Parent education - college graduate72%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate59%
Parent education - declined to state42%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

Parent education - declined to state33%

All Students0%
Males0%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students70%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 50%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2455 Grant Street