William Mckinley Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Corona

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $233,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,260.

Posted April 29, 2014

I started out a skeptical this year because of last years principal, but overall Dr. Dedrict seems to be a positive principle. I love that he started "The leader in me" program and I have not seen much of a bullying problem so far, like I know there were in years past. Starting to have some school pride! I love my sons teacher this year too!

Posted October 8, 2013

I love this school.it has a very responsible and kind staff.My son's teacher is the best.

Posted September 26, 2013

I love this school, I wish the teachers were around when my daughter was in school ( 30 years ago) Thanks Mrs Luna my niece loves going to your class everyday. And so far Dr, D is doing a good job too !

Posted February 1, 2013

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. MY SON ATTENDS MRS. BAILEYS KINDERGARTEN CLASS AND I CAN NOT BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW IMPRESSED I AM WITH THE TEACHERS, SCHOOL STANDARDS AND PRINCIPAL. I AM VERY ACTIVE IN THIS SCHOOL AND I SEE HOW CONCERNED, CARING AND EFFICENT THIS STAFF IS . KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. IM A PROUD PARENT OF A MCKINLEY KINDERGARTEN STUDENT.

Posted January 30, 2013

McKinley needs improvements fast! The constant feel of the school environment is let someone else take care of it. With the size of the staff and the amount of parents its ridiculous how much falls through the cracks.

Posted January 23, 2013

My oldest daughter now 16 attended Mckinley entirely. Honor student great teachers an awesome staff. We had changes with principal's and so forth but Ms. Neumann came in and has always been great. Now my youngest daughter attends and teachers remain great and no problems. Talk with your child. My daughter is escorted at times to my truck by the principal and she does care! No one is perfect but I think she a very nice person no matter what anyone says. Also, on issues of bullying I do agree it needs to be more aggressive in actions such as suspension or kicked out! Parents get into the office and quit calling face to face will work if not then go to the district. Talk to your child!

Posted October 25, 2012

I am very disapointed that these parents feel so negative towards the principal first of all she is very hard working. Dedicated not only to her Staff but also to the students. I would like to see the parents who are complaining have the responsibility of not only over 800 students but also staff. Parents that are the first ones to complain are the ones that are never involved. My two children go thr and i have never had a problem not only with a teacher or the principal. Stop pointing a finger and put yourself in her shoes. And if you feel so strongly about it be more involed.

Posted October 19, 2012

My child was a student and had a horrible time in his last 2-3 years because of bullying. No support from a school that has a "no tolerance" rule. In 4th grade it was horrible and Mrs Friedl was the worst. She saw what was happening and did NOTHING!! I was promised that the bullying kids would be taken care of....but of course it wasn't! The more and more problems my child had the more excuses I heard for the guilty. Clean up the bullying problem and get better leadership and McKinley may get the great reputation it had when we started there. I must say the teacher are wonderful (except the above mentioned) and the PTA is exceptional. This school is not shy on creating entertainment for the kids but the administrative part of it has really hurt the moral of the school. In the final years of my child going here all I heard was how parents were trying to get there kids transferred to another school because of the principal and the falling of the parent/teacher/school relationship and how its faultering. Guess one should analyze and to who was the last one to come on board and who is to blame for sinking the ship!

Posted October 6, 2012

Sorry but My son is out of this school soon! Some teachers are doing hard work I am sure... But from what I expereinced in this school made me think twise! so Finally my son going to a better school :)

Posted August 14, 2012

Great school, great faculty. My son attended for 4 years and did very well. Never had an issue, parents who complain about teachers need to speak to their children and be better parents. Too bad we cant take teachers with us to jr high. Thanks for the experience MC

Posted June 7, 2012

We need another Principle. She could care less about the kids and is only interested in furthering her career. Some of the teachers are same thing. I am very disappointed. If the child got an A or B, teacher will love him. if he gets C and under he will be not her attention anymore and she will not even care if he gets an A. I called the office so many times requesting Parent teacher meeting to discuss my son 5th grade needs and what can we do to improve it, THEY IGNORED me big time. I think there is discrimination in the school towered second language English and that's so sad. We are in a free country. we all Americans no matter of our heritage or color. Please Human Resources do something about that. WE need another Principle. educated teachers that will care about the child who is not doing good at school... Please do like other schools. Highland or Corona ranch "what a great principle, teachers they have" Thank you. Angry MOM

Posted May 31, 2012

After 4 years at McKinley, we are finally jumping ship and going to another school and it is because of the principal, Ms. Neuman. First off, let me say that the teachers, PTA and majority of the office staff are wonderful. My son has gone to McKinley since the 1st grade and has never had a bad teacher. He received student of the year in 5th grade and is always on High Honor Roll. I attribute his success to the amazing, hard working teachers. With that being said, the principle is another story. She is fake, mindless and is only interested in her paycheck. She does not have the best interest of the children at heart and she blows off any parent who has a question or concern. She never returns phone calls and I personally have had to call her boss at the District and complain about her not returning my call after I left 4 messages for her. The police have been called to the school on several occasions, by teachers and parents, due to bullying, because Ms. Neuman refuses to adequately handle situations properly. McKinley has a zero tolerance rule on bullying, but Ms. Neuman does not follow that rule. McKinley would be a great school if Ms. Neuman would find a new home.

Posted May 15, 2012

Totally agree with the parents that say the principal does nothing. She could care less about the kids and is only interested in furthering her career. What's worse is the district backs her poor decisions. It appears that they too want to help keep her record clean. The principal says "thank you for bringing this to my attention" then does nothing. She should add in "now I can quickly sweep this under the rug and manipulate the situation to protect myself and my career.". How about protecting the kids like you are paid to do? The teachers are amazing. They work so hard to teach our children even when their classes grow every year. They do a fantastic job. Even though they have a principal that doesn't discipline kids that disrupt their classes. It makes a tough job even tougher but these teachers get their job done. Too bad the principal doesn't do hers. The PTA is amazing and works very hard to raise money so that our kids have great programs provided to them. Overall it's a good school but really needs a new principal that puts the kids and their safety first.

Posted May 14, 2012

The principal never addresses issues brought to her attention. She has a total disregard for bullying, foul language and unacceptable behavior. She enables bullying by never disciplining the students who exhibit poor behavior time and time again. When approached she simply says "thank you for bringing this to my attention". I am very disappointed that whenver issues are brought to her attention, they never actually get any attention and are quickly dismissed. I have seen this on numerous occasions. That being said, McKinley has some amazing teachers and staff it's a shame that I cannot same about the principal .

Posted May 10, 2012

I agree with the parent who says the principle has a disregard for bullying. I believe it is rampant in this school. My child comes home with so many stories that need immediate teacher principle intervention but instead is told to stop tattling. Again in agreement with the "no student left behind" comment. My child is having a few struggles in the 4th grade and needs a little extra help. The school now does what they call intervention courses in math and language arts- the intervention classes are just as big as the normal class size so again no real help there. I asked the principle if they had something where my child can get one on one and she responded" that aint gonna happen". The school gets an A+ for fun activities and keeping the students entertained but fails in my book when it comes to getting the students to understand work given and actually apply it.

Posted November 7, 2011

The basic outline structure of the school is good, but the classes are too large for a teacher to help a small group, let alone one child who cannot keep up in class. If the kids aren't getting it, they just push onto the next subject, and give them crazy amounts of homework which even I as a parent am struggling with! The teacher is very nice, but I would like to see more understanding of the children. "No children left behind:" is definitely not the case here. Have no complaints about any of the staff, and the PTA does a great job with fundraisers.

Posted October 4, 2011

I love Mckinley and the staff here are amazing, however not sper excited about the principal, she seems to have a constant disreguard for bullying and other important issues, she never makes time and is always too busy for parents. However I ahve 3 kids here now and have never been unhappy with the teachers infact I have never seen a better group of teachers!!!!

Posted August 7, 2011

We have enjoyed all the teachers. All staff are hard-working and love kids. Our daughters can't wait for this year to begin!!!!

Posted August 4, 2011

We are very happy with Mckinley, my son had Mrs Kliss for Kindergarten and she was awesome! The principal was very involved and had a lot of fun family activities to offer. Looking forward to 1st grade!

Posted November 15, 2010

Two years and two GREAT TEACHERS but 2 years of a completely non responsive principal. She is terrible and now in our second year, and only 3rd month of the school year there are already 4 serious incidents that Ms. Neumann has completely disregarded. She is dismissive with parents attempting to communicate, takes no responsibility and her favorite line before brushing you off is "thanks for bring it to my attention, I'll look into it" . but nothing happens, children are now being endangared by her lack of attention to what is happening on campus.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students47%