Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Nope done would not recommend this school, even though several friends kids went here some were happy and some were not, however I only know one other family that actually removed their child from this school so I myself was hesitant when this was our elementary. My son started kindergarten and I immediately had my reserves, the pick up and drop off is chaotic! So unorganized and zero supervision from any teacher or staff member, last week a father was floored to find his son sitting alone in the pickup line crying unsupervised! My son comes home daily complaining of a fellow student pushing him and taking his snacks daily , to my surprised this has gone on without one person acknowledging the situation until I stepped in this is only the second week! The class has several students that are very disruptive already having complaints from fellow parents and teachers themselves! My sons education and safety is number one , I only fear he will observe these other behaviors and possibly fall in the whole monkey see monkey do. I do not feel safe that my son is in a good place here at woodland and decided we are pulling him out as well. Very disappointed in this school .

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school follows John Wooden's pillar of success and using those building blocks, the children receive awards for things like self-control, hard work, friendship, loyalty, hard work, etc!

My child currently attends Woodland and we love it. Awesome teachers and great parents too. In a surrounding community that can often be very pretentious, I find Woodland's family community to be much more down to earth. We also love that Woodland is just K-2 and Kaiser, the sister school, is 3-6. We feel it is less overwhelming for the kids and keeps them with peers close to their age.

We love Woodland. It is adorable because the kids are 'young' and excited about learning in a great environment. (Woodland is only K-2nd grade, across the street is our sister school, Kaiser, which is 3rd-6th grade.) This year, Woodland also began a separate (free) TK program which has improved the class sizes in kinder and teaches a modified/age appropriate curriculum for the TK'ers. (TK is for kids born between September 2nd and December 2nd and who will be turning 5 between those dates - so they are too young to go into Kindergarten, thus, they can enroll in Transitional Kindergarten (TK). Per the California Dept of Education: "TK is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate. Pursuant to law, EC 48000(c), a child is eligible for TK if a child will have his or her fifth birthday between September 2 and December 2.") Our child started at Woodland in kindergarten in the 2014 school year. My child loved it from the beginning and had an amazing kinder teacher (they are all great here!) As a parent, I definitely felt "lost" at the beginning of the year. There were 8 kindergarten classes ... not great communication from the principal, etc. Perhaps that is how every first time parent in kinder feels though? However, in 2015, a new principal took over (Tiffany Lewis) as the old principal (Medve), retired. So far, Ms. Lewis has been amazing. She is completely involved in the school, you constantly see her on campus, she engages with the children and they love her. She is receptive to parents and it seems like she will really make Woodland shine. As for the teachers, they are great too! I now have a second child attending Woodland. While the school is BIG (almost 500 students in just 3 grade levels I think), I have found if you get involved in the school, you get to know other parents & the teachers. Just like anything else in life. So, we are proud to be involved in the school and proud of the advances the kids are making there. The PFO and financial support and fundraising at our school continues to grow. In fact, the PFO just approved over $35,000 for new iPads for all 1st and 2nd grade class rooms. Plus, we have a full science lab also supported by our school's Foundation, which also pays for a full-time science instructor.

My son has had the best experience at Woodland! We had excellent Kinder and 1st grade teachers (now entering 2nd grade). Fabulous, caring teachers who will help your child grow and excel. Well-balanced curriculum, including music classes/performances, and a separate science program with a dedicated science teacher (the only one of it's kind in the district). School uses John Wooden's pyramid of success, which is such a great teaching tool for the kids. Cute, small campus hidden in a quiet neighborhood in Eastside Costa Mesa. Well-mixed school with families from all different backgrounds. Lots of parent involvement and interest here. Love love love it :)

No leadership. I am extremely disappointed in the principals lack of effort. We had a great year in Kindergarten by the sheer luck of getting a fantastic teacher. 1st grade totally different story. Principal is never around, lacks visibility and, as a result, has no idea that teachers are not supervising at breaks and dismissing their kids early from school. I complained to my sons teacher that there was nobody on duty and instead of going to the principal, she just did it herself. Several other parents have similar complaints. What does that say about the effectiveness and responsiveness of the leadership? Teachers are hit or miss...1st grade 7 teachers....such a huge dichotomy of instruction and effectiveness. There is clearly no strong expectations set about parent communication, room environment and accessibility. It is just so disappointing. Great community, great parents and could be so good. I guess I should have paid attention to the test scores.

Our daughter attended Woodland for kindergarten, 1st grade and just started 2nd grade. We have been really pleased with our experience: her teachers have been caring and knowledgeable, the parents are involved and there is a sense of community, and our daughter enjoys the environment. She likes going to school everyday, and she, most importantly, is learning.

We have 2 boys at Woodland, and absolutely love the school. The teachers are terrific and they seem to really care.

Woodland is a hidden gem! It is a great school that caters to the development of the K-2 student. Because it is a K-2 school the students are able to interact with students close in age. The teachers and staff are fantastic. My children have now moved on to Kaiser, but when I get a chance to visit at Woodland it does my heart good.

Take caution when going to this school, it could harm your child, compromise education and recently hurt your career if you are an employee or Teacher. There is favortism shown to people that ask for accountability, report accomodations not met for not just students, but staff employees. In some cases the Principal will not support people or even students when asking for assistance, a safe and secure school to learn, grow and employees might even have their career or job jeapordized. It is surprising that this behavior has continued for years and discussed openly in the Community and School environment and needs to be addressed immediately. We as educators, Parents and students need to stop this from happening to others and take a stand to stop this behavior of harming others, especially innocent children.

Last modified Woodland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-2