Woodland Elementary School 2

Posted September 16, 2014
No leadership. I am extremely disappointed in the principals lack of effort. We had a great year in Kindergarten by the sheer luck of getting a fantastic teacher. 1st grade totally different story. Principal is never around, lacks visibility and, as a result, has no idea that teachers are not supervising at breaks and dismissing their kids early from school. I complained to my sons teacher that there was nobody on duty and instead of going to the principal, she just did it herself. Several other parents have similar complaints. What does that say about the effectiveness and responsiveness of the leadership? Teachers are hit or miss...1st grade 7 teachers....such a huge dichotomy of instruction and effectiveness. There is clearly no strong expectations set about parent communication, room environment and accessibility. It is just so disappointing. Great community, great parents and could be so good. I guess I should have paid attention to the test scores.

Posted September 07, 2014
Our daughter attended Woodland for kindergarten, 1st grade and just started 2nd grade. We have been really pleased with our experience: her teachers have been caring and knowledgeable, the parents are involved and there is a sense of community, and our daughter enjoys the environment. She likes going to school everyday, and she, most importantly, is learning.

Posted September 02, 2014
We have 2 boys at Woodland, and absolutely love the school. The teachers are terrific and they seem to really care.

Posted April 27, 2014
Woodland is a hidden gem! It is a great school that caters to the development of the K-2 student. Because it is a K-2 school the students are able to interact with students close in age. The teachers and staff are fantastic. My children have now moved on to Kaiser, but when I get a chance to visit at Woodland it does my heart good.

Woodland Elementary School 1

Posted February 08, 2014
Take caution when going to this school, it could harm your child, compromise education and recently hurt your career if you are an employee or Teacher. There is favortism shown to people that ask for accountability, report accomodations not met for not just students, but staff employees. In some cases the Principal will not support people or even students when asking for assistance, a safe and secure school to learn, grow and employees might even have their career or job jeapordized. It is surprising that this behavior has continued for years and discussed openly in the Community and School environment and needs to be addressed immediately. We as educators, Parents and students need to stop this from happening to others and take a stand to stop this behavior of harming others, especially innocent children.

Posted January 14, 2014
We love Woodland! If you are looking for a school with great teachers, wonderful staff and an active & supportive parent community this is it.

Posted August 10, 2013
Woodland is a wonderful school because of the parent and staff support. It is a Kindergarten through second grade primary elementary school, which fosters young minds. I love all the teachers and the school environment. My children are excited to go to school every day!

Woodland Elementary School 4

Posted August 01, 2013
Love Woodland! I am a mom of triplet boys who just completed Kindergarten. They are each unique individuals and were all in separate classes. Each teacher was a perfect match for my boys. They are caring, wonderful women and terrific teachers! They were great with communication and very supportive of me as a mom who just returned to work in a part time position after being a stay at home mom from birth through preschool. One of my boys required an IEP. The reason for the lower rating for the Principal is that she discouraged me from pursuing an IEP and told me some untruths about the process. I believe she is near retirement. I contacted the Special Education Director for the district, met with her and the process was immediately implemented. I truly think you must be an advocate for your child. I love Woodland; I like the fact that it is K through third grade. The campus is small. The John Wooden attributes are great.

Posted August 01, 2013
My daughter just completed Kindergarten at Woodland and we were very happy with our experience. The school focuses on John Wooden's amazing values and builds self-esteem and confidence. I love that it is K thru 2 - a truly unique school. I am hoping we are as happy with first grade.

Posted February 11, 2013
It s been a while since I ve had children at Woodland, but we had an excellent experience there. I have had two children at Woodland and Kaiser, one is now at Ensign (in honors English and Math, which his elementary school teachers did a great job preparing him for), and one in 6th grade at Kaiser. We were very happy with the teachers we had at Woodland (all but two of them are still there). I always loved the fact that the school had only K-2, it was such a nice, protected environment for the younger children. I walked my kids to school every morning and the teachers and parents were always friendly and social. The level of parent involvement is good, and through the years it has grown even stronger. That being said, there are a handful of teachers between the two schools that I would not have wanted for my kids, but you are going to have that situation at any school (believe me, I have heard complaints from Mariners, Newport El, Newport Hts., and Carden parents sometimes you have a bad year). But we have loved Woodland and Kaiser and have had wonderful teachers the whole way through. My kids have received an excellent education, and made great friends.

Woodland Elementary School
2025 Garden Lane, Costa Mesa, CA  92627
Last modified Woodland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-2. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodland Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top