El Cajon, CA

Flying Hills Elementary School 4

Posted January 31, 2015
I would have never chose this school in a line up however we were fortunate to have our children attend. We have 3 children at Flying Hills and have had wonderful teachers every year from kindergarten to 5th grade. They are an arts driven school which makes learning fun for our children. I have a child who had a hard time adjusting to school and transition. The principal Mr. Lyche is awesome, he is very involved with my child and put in place a plan where the teachers and other staff communicated with me on a daily basis to help my child become more successful in the school environment. This year I have not had to attend any parent meeting and my child is succeeding just fine. The PTA is awesome they host various events through out the year which allows families to be more involved and parents to mingle and take part in the success of the school and our children. Absolutely love this school.

Posted February 06, 2014
I am a current 6th grader and love this school but i think theyre way to focused on arts. Overall i think its a wonderful school. The teachers really care about you too. They try to adjust to a middle school, but it doesnt work.... -6th grader

Posted August 25, 2013
You will not find another school around that is as great as Flying Hills. Small school feel, with very dedicated teachers and a principal and staff that truly know how to work together to create a community of learners and doers! This school gave my daughter the desire for Fine Arts, and when she graduated was very sad. But...she has the desire now to get involved in theater and I've seen her self confidence soar!! Thank you Flying Hills teachers and staff!

Posted August 03, 2013
I am so biased about our school. We moved here 6yrs ago and did not know how fortunate we would be come. Our school has the FAME program, which everyone starts automatically in 3rd grade. We have art, science, a P.E program thanks to a dedicated PTA family who pays for it. In fact one of the reasons our school is so great, besides the dedicated teachers and on top of it principal is the fact that we have a great PTA which does so many events that bring the parents, teachers and students together practically monthly. Our kids have learned guitar (how many schools offer music anymore). We have an amazing group of teachers that help with the children that need that little extra bit of care, i.e. ADHD, Asperbergers. Flying Hills is a public school and is this little hidden jewel in the neighborhood. We are so blessed to be fortunate enough to attend there.

Flying Hills Elementary School 4

Posted May 17, 2013
I am a Flying Hills Alumni class of 2000. I absoulutely loved this school and the FAME program. I would say that yes a lot of the school/art work is done at home. But it taught me organizational skills and leadership because I had to get the scool work done. I do feel the FAME program has slipped and gone downhill some but the teachers have changed since I was there. And last I noticed the FAME program was on the uphill of getting back to what it use to be when MS. Abel, Mrs. Estegren, Mr.Jackam, and Mrs.Barnes/Ms. Bunday. If I had kids right now I would definately still have my kids go to this school.

Flying Hills Elementary School 3

Posted August 06, 2012
I am glad I got to see the FAME program before the beginning of its decent. My daughters last year at this school was very disappointing. Program quality has declined and it, sadly, has not been replaced with rich curriculum or creative innovative teaching. Fortunately parent involvement is high so the school maintains a "feel" of a strong force, but I see that slowly changing as well.

Posted October 06, 2010
I have a 16 y/o son that graduated from 6th grade here and now a daughter in kindergarten. I love this school...never had any problems whatsoever. The teachers are top quality.

Posted June 10, 2010
This is the best school my children have ever attended! The FAME program is great for my children to forster thier creativity and the have all improved in thier acedemics. The teachers are great with the kids and really nice. I love flying hills!!!

Posted June 10, 2010
This is my daughter's first year and she is doing so well! i love this school! The FAME program is great she has done so mnay creative things, art work, dance & music and she loves it. The teachers are great and my daughter's grades have improved since transfering here!!!

Flying Hills Elementary School 1

Posted June 03, 2010
Parents who think Flying Hills is a good school will change their tune once their kids go to middle school and see how under-prepared they are. The arts program is very watered-down, and most of the arts work and projects are done at home. It will get worse when the entire school goes "arts" because unqualified teachers will suddenly have to teach music, drawing, etc. I'm glad we left.

Flying Hills Elementary School
1251 Finch Street, El Cajon, CA  92020
Last modified Flying Hills Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Flying Hills Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top