Bad
Good

My family and kids has been so proud of being in this school and I saw a lot of improvement on my kids... However these days, I found people in the office are under stress . One of my kids in one of afternoon class, he forgot to attend that class then had to go back school right after came back home, he was scared to miss the class then I had to drive him to school back, he did not remember finishing time, I was 7mins late to pick him up then she came and explain that why I shouldn't be late and If I repeat that again, he will lose his spot because there is 400 waiting list. I totally understand that they don't have enough budget to run extra class and pushed by waiting kids.. But her attitude was so rude and treat me as one of school kids, she didn't even listen to me, one way order (of course she treat my son as one of problem kids). I didn't see her in regular time in AM. I hope that is only one time unpleasant experience. I don't want any kid in this school is discouraged by non teaching people anymore ...

My son started at Helen Carr last year for 1st grade and he had a great teacher and we saw great improvement in him.

My kids and I have all but good things to say about this school. They love going to school and love their teachers. We as parents need to stay involved and keep the lines if communication open with the teachers. All the teachers we have come across have been great. I was able to get positive feedback from the new principal & have been greeted by her daily. I see her out a lot in the mornings. We have been there 5 years without a problem and both kids continue to succeed.

I am a grandmother to granddaughters who attend Helen Carr Castello Elementary School, and have found this school to be an excelent teaching environment. Also, loved volunteering at this wonderful school. I also had the experience seeing how well my granddaugters did at school and noticed that they were always excited to go to school which says a lot about the teacher (Ms. Maiden).

I'm sad to see some of these comments. We've been to several school in Elk Grove and this is the best. The staff is great - teachers and admin. Our kids love their teachers, there's lots of involvement, we see the principal out all the time. She's been responsive & supportive of our needs. Cuts are due to budget, not the principal. Test scores just went up 24 points! That's due to good teachers and leaders.

The teachers are great and stay motivated, even when they're going through tough times. I agree the new principal is ineffective and programs have been cut since she started. She is unavailable and unresponsive to parents and is rude when asked questions. The VP is good and tries hard to be available to parents.

I feel that Castello is an excellent school. There is a ton of parent involvement, at least in the grades that my kids are in. The teachers that we have had have been great as well.

We've been at Castello since it opened and the teachers have all been great! We do have a new principal and yes I would agree she is out of touch. She has no real leadership skills and often offends parents. But that being said we still have the good teachers. I'm not sure with the budget cuts what this is going to do to our school? I'd hate to get senior teachers but with less motivation to teach. Senior doesn't always mean better...I'm hoping Castello stays above average in the years to come.

This school is going down hill since the new principal arrived. I'll be taking my kids elsewhere next year, not because of the teachers. The principal does not attend school performances and she is not out with the kids--she's always in her office on her computer. Discipline is lacking and is very one-sided. Morale is horrible--the teachers are so sad.

The teachers at Castello are passionate about their work. They connect with students and care more deeply than at other schools I've had my students at. My daughter is in 5th grade and her teacher is a whiz at teaching math. He explains things to her in a way that she 'gets it' for the first time in her life. She loves going to school each day. The after school program has suffered because of budget cuts, but hopefully that will improve as the economy improves.

Last modified Helen Carr Castello Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.