Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Develops character: Disagree

I had a discussion yesterday with the principal about his decision on reprimanding my son. I explained to him on how the issue was resolved. Instead of working with the parent he bullies my son claiming that my son is lying and ended up putting him in detention. This is not the way to treat elementary school children.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

All of my kids teachers have been excellent. I have not gripes against them. Kudos to all teachers.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Under Ms. Sipos there was much more homework that was meaningful to the students curricula. However under Mr. Shaw things have changed and the quality of education is going downhill

Both of my children attend this school, and have been for 4 years. They are both high achievers, and consistently receive outstanding grades. However, as a teacher in another district, I have to agree with others who give this school a low rating. The teachers here do not praise the students AT ALL. I feel that much of the responsibility for learning the grade level content is placed on parents. In the 4 years we've been here, we have only encountered one teacher who seemed to genuinely care about our child. My second child was left alone in his classroom on the first day of school (a genuine mistake), with no apology from the teacher. No praise was given to him for the fact that he was the first to know all of his site words. The students have availability to chromebooks, PE, and music teachers- which is amazing. However, if you are looking for a school that nurtures students, this is not it.

This school only cares about test scores , not children. They treat students and parents awful.

I do not recommend this school. Don't let the test scores fool you. I feel they worry too much about the test scores and not enough about the individual. Many of the programs that they had in place have gone away.

My son went to this school a short while (fall 2012) starting as a transfer kindergarten student. I thought this school would be an amazing school experience for my son because it is rated so high in the district. But my experience with Grapeland was far less impressive than I had anticipated. I believe my son was not given a chance to adjust to kinder because he wasn't as mature as the other children seemed, and had a hard time focusing, even though he had been in preschool. His teacher would tell me everyday (for a week) that she thought he wasn't ready for kinder, I was surprised because he is very smart, but needed to be reminded to pay attention (normal), long story short...with her advice and others I decided that mabey another year of pre-k would be best. So as I begin to register him for 2013, I was shocked to learn the district would not allow him to start Kinder because of his age! No one ever told me this. But they were so quick to get him out of there, I could not believe it! Me and my son spent all summer cramming for first grade, I believe this school is great but they did not seem interested in working with my boy from day one. I felt CHEATED to say the least.

The administration lacks effective people skills. Their goal is to be number one in the district and that is it. If you are looking for your child to be nurtured, Grapeland is probably not the best school to choose.

It's the worst public school! We thought a school with an API of 945 would match our Advanced daughters. We soon realized the school has a robotic mentality. Its teachers and administrators bully the families over ridiculous policies, such as no spaghetti straps for 6-year olds, without explanation. They make the kids play outdoors in the sun in over 100-degree weather without shade. They won't allow them to stay indoors, even by parental request. When our kids came back from school, their scalps were browned. We had to use a bottle of sunblock weekly to prevent our kids from getting skin cancer. The school administration makes no effort to understand parents' concerns, and were told they can hang up on parents' phone calls if they so desire. Our kids were not happy at the school, and turned from being hungry for knowledge to resisting going to school every day. Finally we had to pull our kids out and homeschool them. Our kids' scores continue to be Advanced, and they have access to History, Science, Art, Foreign Language, and Music that they didn't have at Grapeland. Now our kids are interested in all areas of knowledge and their academic scores have soared even higher.

Grapeland is a wonderful school. The atmosphere there is different than at other schools I've been to. Everyone on staff is very friendly. Students are well behaved and excited to learn. The school offers so many things to enhance the learning. Plus, test scores show that the school is really focused on academics. My children wake up every morning excited to go to school. I think that say it all!

Last modified Grapeland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.