Sutter Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1183 students

Posted April 29, 2014

Sutter Middle School is great place to send your kids for a quality education. My son and daughter have outstanding teachers who love what they do. Wonderful music and athletic programs. I have been a parent at Sutter for three years and all my children's teachers have been great and approachable.

Posted April 28, 2014

Sutter Middle School may be older (it's the original Folsom High School) but has a modern curriculum and a wonderful music program.

Posted March 18, 2014

The teachers are not very concerned about development of the children. I feel like they are there just to give a pass or fail grade. I've made complaints about a particular teacher via email where I included the principal and advisory counselor to make them aware. .. but I never received a response. Our family has traveled and our kids have had to transition into many different schools. This school by far. .. is the worst.

Posted July 15, 2013

I am an adult woman who attended Sutter Middle in the 8th grade. My family was poor and I had a very rough adolescence. The school staff are incompetent and handle bullying poorly. The vice principal cursed me out in his office and made fun of me for having facial piercings/dressing weird. He's a bully to children that are different and abuses his power (or at least did for the time that I attended). One day I wore jeans to school that had holes in the knees and thighs. I was asked to go home. When I brought up the argument that popular female students wore VERY short shorts and lowcut tanks on Spirit Day, I was told to be quiet and just go home. I was completely ostracized at this school and my experience contributed to my depression and poor self-image. I was bullied so horribly about my weight (though I weighed only 125 pounds) that I developed an eating disorder. School staff never did anything, and seem to only care about the ideal students who have wealthy parents. Don't send your child to this school!

Posted July 2, 2013

most bad school ever.My son came homr crying every day due to bulling issues.I will never recommend anybody going to this school.The principle ignores bulling and fighting issues.The teachers are always on their phone texting rather then teaching students.And principle is always on the phone too! Please dont send your child here in this school.

Posted December 1, 2012

My daughter has always been anxious about transitions at each grade level so I became anxious as well knowing she would be starting a new middle school. I am very happy to say she has loved it since the first day of school. The principal is fantastic! I love how she goes out and walks the kids herself across the crosswalk. She is always extremely positive which I believe is contagious!

Posted October 13, 2012

Front office staff is rude, unhelpful. I enrolled my son to start riding school bus home. He asked office which bus to catch (I had emailed the transportation department several times.. never got a response), the office staff said I don't know, and would only point to a map on wall. I had called office to let them know, no response and he needs to know where to go. He missed his bus two days in a row, (I work in sacramento, so he had to wait an hour out front each time) As it turns out the bus picks up from back of building. When we did pick up after school, kids run every where, even inbetween cars and parents actually pick them up in the middle of the road. Telephone call to principle, leads to another unreturned call. Appearently the vice principle is out front at pick up time also per person taking message.. As far as teachers, just average, nothing above and beyond, but also uneventful, nothing to report.

Posted June 29, 2012

My son just finished 6th grade at this school. He had a wonderful year and was challenged in the preAP classes. His teachers were always in communication with me when needed. I am so happy with the music program-rated as one of the best nationwide. He will also be in the year long Spanish elective next year. A downside is that the facilities are old when all the other schools in Folsom are new and look better.

Posted March 16, 2012

This is a very bad school if you ask a parent. Teachers and principal don't reply your e mails. You can't schedule an appointment with the Principal as she is too busy with other things. Believe me I have waited for almost a month but still she is not meeting me. Teachers are busy with their private life problems and don't bother teaching at class. Vey bad administration.

Posted March 15, 2011

I know of several parents who have taken their children out of this school due to issues with bullying. After meeting the aloof administrative staff, the "I'm doing you a favor by talking to you" front office staff and the screaming and hysterical lunch room aides, it's obvious that the bullying starts from the top and trickles down.

Posted August 24, 2010

Sutter Middle School faces the same challenges as other California schools but manages to continue providing an excellent education in a supportive and nurturing environment. This is my third child to go through the school and I have been very happy. The Principal, Vice Principal, teachers and staff are dedicated and extremely bright individuals. I appreciate their commitment to our children.

Posted August 19, 2010

This school has the most amazing staff the principal Keri Phillips is the best !! All most all the teachers are fantastic ......they all communicate very well never more than a 24 hour response to a question wish my son could stay 3 more years!!!

Posted July 22, 2009

My name is kelsey and i am going into seventh grade. The teachers are so friendly at some times they can be strict but they are just doing their job. They are really kind and caring. The campus is clean.

Posted June 3, 2009

I have gone to manyyyy schools during my life - and I'm only 13! I have already been to 3 Middle Schools, even though it is only my second year. Out of all of them - Bayside Middle School, St. Timothy's, and the 'Great no-more-name' Sutter is definitely the best! The people and friends I made are the nicest ever, and the teachers are amazing! Mr. Rowe is great (his elective class is soo cool!) and Mr. Sewell is an awesome science teacher! Mr. Yohner is reallyy funny, and Mrs. Freitas is a very good math teacher ! (Try to get one of them) It's not ghetto at all actually - (of course it is in Folsom...so it is kinda impossible for it to be ghetto.) The counselors and teachers help students a lot, and the food is pretty good. Best school EvR!!!!!!!!! =D

Posted February 1, 2009

GREAT SCHOOL! A bit Ghetto towny, but I love it! Mr. Rowe is awesome, same with mr. Sewell and Yohner! The vice pricipal is also funny!

Posted December 6, 2008

My son is in the GATE program and getting good grades at Sutter. The teachers are doing a great job.

Posted November 14, 2008

i love sutter. i just came from folsom middle in a transfer and im in 8th grade. sutter is way better and has nicer teachers. they can be strict, but its all good. and its alot of fun there

Posted October 8, 2008

I love this schhool. I currently go there and I'm in 7th grade. I love the teachers. There so much fun, but can be strict. I love Sutter Middle School.

Posted June 12, 2008

Overall, I think the school is excellent. The facility itelf is old and run down, but the teachers have been very good and caring. My daughter attended both 7th and 8th grades at Sutter, and maintained an almost straight A average. I am been particularly impressed with how well the kids are supervised at dances and other school functions. I was notified right away when anything was out of the ordinary (for example, my daughter was late to some class periods after she started like a boy at school). The vice principal was very cordial, responsive or helpful in identifying and correcting the problem. I don't think any of the schools in Folsom are bad. I would happily recommend them to anyone.

Posted December 2, 2007

This is my first year at Sutter. It's really awesome. The teachers are really good(try to get Mr. Rowe for a class-he's awesome!). I have great friends there and the sports are good, too! I dislike the whole social status and 'in' crowd stuff, but you'll see that at any school. Overall, it's a great school! I hope this review helped!

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

471 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

434 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

322 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

430 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

433 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

429 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students84%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)72%
Parent education - college graduate78%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate87%
Parent education - declined to state77%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students13%
Fluent-English proficient and English only13%
Gifted and talentedn/a
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)6%
Parent education - college graduate9%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a
Parent education - declined to state33%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab