Garden Grove, CA

St. Columban 2

Posted August 23, 2015
St. Columban has one of the worst reputations academically of the Catholic schools in Orange County. I didn't find this out until too late when my child moved on to high school. I soon found out that, although he had excelled in academics at St. Columban, he was actually BEHIND the public school curriculum! This meant that we had to hire a private tutor in all his academic subjects to try to catch him up. I had always thought that a private school education would put my children a step ahead of the kids in public school - that is simply not the case here. If you want your kids to excel in high school and beyond, you owe it to them to reconsider your choices.

Posted August 05, 2015
Sending my child to Saint Columban School has been the best decision my wife and I have ever made. My daughter attended the school for nine years beginning from Kindergarten. We were planning to take her out after she received First Communion, but decided against it once we saw how much she was growing mentally and spiritually. She has also gained so much confidence from joining Student Council. I am proud to say that the school's academic program helped her score a 99% on her high school entrance exams. However, I am most satisfied by the loving and faith-filled person she's become. I could definitely tell that the teachers put in all their effort to ensure the students receive the best education possible. I have credit most of my child's success in school to Mrs. Orr (5th grade) and Mrs. Anselmi (7th&8th English/Language Arts). However, every single teacher is amazing. The school is especially skilled in the subject of English. Since the classes are fairly small, each child receives a great amount of attention. In fact, the students not only receive attention in the classroom, but at every moment they are on school campus. The faculty and staff are incredibly caring and are constantly exemplifying and encouraging good Christian behavior. Another thing I was impressed by was the parent involvement at school. Many parents, including myself were always helping out, whether it be setting up pep rallies, selling snacks at sports games, or planning classroom parties. Another bonus that comes with the school is the jaw-dropping athletics program. I can't even count how many times a team has won 1st place in league throughout my daughter's nine years. The best thing about St. Columban is the loving environment that makes the students enjoy going to school instead of dreading it. Every day when I came to pick up my daughter, I noticed that both the teachers and students were almost always happy. The best feeling I could ever receive came from the reassurance that I sent my child to the right school. If you get the chance, I encourage you to send your child to St. Columban School. You will not regret your decision.

St. Columban 1

Posted March 30, 2015
I gave this school so many chances and they never improve! They come home without jumping up and down and talking about their day anymore

St. Columban 4

Posted August 04, 2013
The Preschool staff is very caring. My son looks forward to going to school here. He has never cried when I have dropped him off. They work on your childs needs individually. My concerns are that they made it clear they have and will hold children back if they feel they are not both academically and emotionally ready to move on to pre-kindergarten and kindergarten. They also run the classroom with several groups doing different tasks, not like a typical classroom. I am concerned that when my child goes to kindergarten the transition will be more challenging. I am also concerned about the curriculum. It is not your typical alphabet, numbers, name recognition, etc. that I have noticed. Montessori run schools do things differently. The preschool also has 30 children (25 during the summer giver or take) . I prefer a smaller classroom.

St. Columban 1

Posted May 16, 2013
My child has moved on to another private school and advanced so quickly , l sincerely believe i wasted a good part of the child's life in this school.

St. Columban 2

Posted January 22, 2013
Teachers seem to be very caring and and teachers aid are great. We were mislead by the principal about my daughter being able to move up to the next grade level due to her birth date being so to the cut off date. She was only one of 2 students in pre-K that could read and did everything asked of her in class. She received awards and received the highest daily student participation possible. Yet the teacher would not vouch for her due to the principals change of stance on reviewing her mid year. The principal cancel our prearrange meetings with my daughter teacher and cancels our meeting with her. Only when we demand to see her does she show up to our appointments. She also mislead other parents and one parent left the school board do her shifting stories of the principal or allowing our kids to move up if they show enough progress. We have 3 children at this school and 2 has regressed academically since leaving the other private school they were in. My youngest daughter was reading adding & subtracting, spelling test before coming to this school in Pre-K class & stopped learning academically since being here. Try Holy Sacrament in Westminster is about half the cost.

Posted March 10, 2012
I got a lot out of this school. I got the personalized attention when needed as a child, and grew into a God loving person. The school cannot do everything. It also depends on the parents who help raise them up and reinforce what is taught here. I still think about all the good memories I had as a child here, attending the school from 2nd grade to 8th grade. Some memories included ice cream days, movie days, computer class(Playing oregon trail), music class, Ms. Orr's class, Ms. Anselmi's class, sports day, hot lunches, festivals, altar serving, science camp, science fair, library week, buying uniforms at vicki marshals, etc. I hope something like this will still be around when I have my own children. Sometimes it may seem as if its too hard/advanced, but why not aim for the moon and hit the stars, vs aim for a bird and hit the ground? Not all my peers turned out well, but I believe continued good habits such as continuing to go to church, grow with great family values, and attending a good high school and college can guide you to success as a citizen and as God's child.

Posted February 26, 2010
I love this school. My son is in Kindergarten and he's learning a lot from his teacher. He knows how to read a little booklet, how to add 3 digits numbers, and how to write a little story about the Christmas program. I'd like to thank the teachers and staffs there to help my son strive to the top in academic, discipline, and spiritual as he grows older.

Posted February 23, 2010
I love this school. After seeing how my kids have done in high school I am so pleased that they went to St. Columban School. I truly believe the successes they have had in high school are due to the education they received at St. Columban, both academically and spiritually.

Posted November 14, 2008
'Best Private School in Garden Grove' as designated in the Garden Grove Reader Survey of 2007.

St. Columban