Benjamin Franklin Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 593 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 26, 2014

I have children in the second and fourth grade Spanish program. We permitted in from LAUSD and knew nothing about the district or the school before starting school, but I was inspired by the administration's commitment to dual language AND general excellence in education. My children are thriving. They are now bilingual (which they weren't when they started), scoring in the highest levels on state and GATE testing (with no tutoring outside of school) and they are happy. The teachers inspire my kids daily and the social environment is supportive and accepting. Being at a school with multiple languages and culture have helped our children to feel like citizens of the world and they have an awareness of diversity and opportunity which such an international school fosters naturally. Some of the test scores are low but this is because the kids are learning the material in another language, but by 4th grade the scores catch up. This will be reflected in the coming years once the program is established (next year will be the program's first graduating class). We feel incredibly lucky to have our children at this fantastic school.

Posted February 24, 2014

If you don't know the school, why pose questions here, rather than just calling the school? But since your questions may concern others: 1) some 4 yr. olds with birthdays close to the cutoff can be tested for kinder readiness, if requested. We have huge waiting lists. 2) Shade trees are being added all the time and once the new building is put in next year, there will be more green spaces, less asphalt and more trees. 3) Children will be exposed to language in many formats so they get used to different accents and dialects, movies may be one of those formats. On rain days, if kids can't go out at lunch they may spend 15 min watching a G-rated movie in English. Why is that alarming? 4) All public school kids move into larger class sizes at 4th grade. It can be tough on some kids, most survive. 5) It is true that at Franklin under the 90/10 immersion model your student will get less English instruction in the beginning. However, our FLAG students outscore their monolingual peers. This is not apparent in the API because it includes non FLAG students. Young kids while playing sometimes get scratched and bumped. To say that it is intentional is narcissistic at worst, ignorant at best.

Posted February 24, 2014

I feel so fortunate that both my children attend this school, and for so many reasons, including: engaged parents, committed teachers, wonderful enrichment classes, in-school music and dance classes, gardening lessons and much more. Plus, our children are learning to be global citizens and an increased cultural awareness. For those who say their children are behind... it could be the child not the school. My daughter is reading well beyond her grade level and consistently scores as advanced. It's a wonderful school with an equally great community of families.

Posted February 24, 2014

I am a parent of a kindergartener and a 2nd grader. I could not be more thrilled with this school. The teachers are amazing and the administration is always willing to listen to ideas to improve the school. This is a very tight-knit school with a TON of parental involvement as mentioned in the reviews below. You know a school has "that special something" when parents are willing to drive from all over to attend. We have students from as far away as Culver City and Valencia. Franklin is really a very special and unique place and we could not be happier to be a part of it!

Posted February 24, 2014

I have a daughter in Italian Kinder. I am beyond ecstatic with the teachers, interns, activities, and parent community. The dedication of everyone here is awe-inspiring and the results are amazing. My daughter is already speaking, reading and writing Italian (as well as English), and I can't believe how quickly she has picked up and retained vocabulary. When my mom, a native Italian, visited us over Christmas break, she was quizzing my girl all the time and never stumped her -so cool! If multilingualism and multiculturalism are important to you, this school is a godsend. It's a private school education for the cost of a public school. I can't say enough good things about Franklin! P.S. A couple of reviews below are disingenuous in expressing surprise that when they pulled their child from Franklin to go to another school, their children were behind academically. Their children were learning a new language as well as the materials expected to be covered for each grade level. The school is very upfront about the fact that the program is designed to be a six year commitment for this reason, especially as much of the language learning is happening in the first few grades.

Posted February 24, 2014

I am so happy with this school. My daughter is in French kindergarden and we couldn't be more impressed with how much she's learned this year, not only in French but English as well. The parents are a VERY involved and tight knit community within the school. The faculty and administration are top notch and always willing to listen to and accommodate parents. Our children are learning to be diverse and global minded individuals. Looking forward to our continued success at Benjamin Franklin.

Posted January 30, 2014

I have a son in the Kinder Italian program and feel so very lucky to be part of this school. Our incredible parent body is VERY involved - volunteering in class, at lunch, at drop off and pickup, for special activities, fundraising, performing (lots of artists) to raise money for the kids, etc. We have an intern with us the ENTIRE year from Italy, working with their teacher in class. We have music and gardening, in addition to all the academic activities. My son's teacher is wonderful - incredibly kind, helpful and patient. My son, who spoke few words of Italian before entering, is now writing sentences, on his own, in Italian. We absolutely adore the after school program options as well - broadway, chess, woodworking, weird science, violin, gardening - and on and on. You pay for those after school classes, but they are right there, available to have your child's day just slightly extended with such valuable enrichment. And yes, the campus definitely needs help! - but the plans they have drawn up and the grants they have written, if they come to fruition, would bring this campus to a level way beyond others I have seen. Native plantings, shade, and FAR less concrete!

Posted January 26, 2014

Can't think of anything negative to say about our experience at Franklin Magnet. I have one child in 5th grade and an incoming Kindergartener. The quality and dedication of the Teachers is outstanding. The office staff is knowledgeable and extremely friendly and helpful. How many public schools can say they have a school that teachers in 5 languages, has the most diverse student body, a terrific PTA working hard to advocate for all of our children (not just at our school buy beyond) A Foundation that fundraises for music, art, after school enrichment, garden club, Teacher supplies and interns in each class from France, Germany, Italy, Spain and South America! My daughter comes home excited from her day and looking forward to school every day. I am so proud to be part of such a caring community and dedicated group of parents and staff. It gives me great joy to see my child so academically driven and excelling in 2 languages. I am hoping GUSD will continue dual immersion into middle school.

Posted January 23, 2014

Franklin Magnet is an amazing school. My son and daughter are currently enrolled in the Spanish FLAG program, 4th grade and 2nd grade, respectively. The teachers are fantastic. The school is such a tight community throughout all the FLAG languages. We currently have Spanish, Italian, German and French. Not only is the administration wonderful but the parents always go above and beyond to ensure that all our children are getting the very best social and educational experience. I am so happy to be part of the Franklin Families.

Posted September 4, 2013

I have some questions about this school. I am thinking of enrolling my child next year. He speaks French, Russian and English. I have heard they are enrolling 4yr olds w/ 5yr olds in the Kindergarten classes. Are there not enough age appropriate children applying to the program? 5 & 6 year olds are different and should be viewed that way. Also, will the school be putting shade in soon? I saw online that a lot of money has been raised for shade but nothing has been put in or up. One friend in the German class say that children watch programs in class. Is this correct? Will that be in the French class too? I do find that very alarming. Any answers are appreciated.

Posted May 1, 2013

API is 802..... Do your homework parents! Last review is totally incorrect. Franklin is an awesome school with wonderful teachers and strong parent participation.

Posted May 1, 2013

A second language is wonderful and important, but everyone sending their child here is sacrificing their child's education! Look at the test scores. If the students are not learning the basics of education, then what's the point? Do you want your child to grow up to work at McDonald's? Or do you want an educated child who has options and can effectively navigate their world?

Posted April 4, 2013

I love what this school offers, not enough arts, but language is very important. I have toured so so many other schools and BF has a lot of work to do... The tour is dry and treated more like a board meeting, it was boring and uninspiring. Is this how the school wants to be portrayed? Also, website is not organized, not updated, lacks important info. BF, look at other schools websites.. It does matter.. To get people to donate to your school... Inspire them... The school doesn't speak for itself..... I do say all of this because I care.. I want this school to succeed. Do mini tours but also to one big tour where we people can hear from the teachers and principal in the autotorium. Talk about the success, seem excited about the school, have some of the kids preform some songs etc. It's also great to invite your sponsors. Best of luck

Posted March 27, 2013

I pulled my child out mid-year. She s been intentionally hurt by 2 kids in her class 5 times in a yr & a 1/2. I was told those kids were staying put. In K she was thrown into a fence, kicked, punched, badly scratched & bruised. This yr she was kicked in the head & hurt with a chair that left a bad welt & routinely harassed by a 2nd kid. I had many unproductive meetings with admin & wrote the board (no response). My child hated going to school; was nervous & agitated. With only 1 class per language/per grade, if you get a perfect class of kids - lucky you. But if your child is in a class with kids with behavior issues you're on your own. Your child will be with those same kids from K to 6th. I was told, this is public school. My daughter s doctors advised me to remove her. With all the behavioral issues in class & because it was immersion she is now VERY BEHIND academically. I'm spending a lot to get her to grade level. I still believe in immersion, just not at Franklin. Immersion could not come before my daughter s safety, happiness & reaching her highest potential. In my daughter s new public school she is thriving. She finally likes going to school, feels safe & is happy.

Posted January 25, 2013

My son did very well through 3rd grade here. He is in the standard English program as the Magnet FLAG program began the year he started Kindergarten and it was too late to enroll him. Now in the 5th grade he is doing poorly. His class has 34 kids in it. I am trying to figure out my options for getting him into an environment he will do well in again. In short, apparently the FLAG program is excellent but the neighborhood kids in the standard English program are struggling in crowded classrooms without teaching assistants.

Posted October 8, 2012

I would love to know if this school plans on having some trees or shade? The entire playground is in the direct sun and is the major downside of this school... Love the teachers but it does look like a prison...a lil. Like I said...Love the school and what it stands for...but need to make some shade and pretty it up a lil. One school in LA allowed every parent to donate $600 each and it got the yard those really nice coverings and trees. IS this school open to that?

Posted June 5, 2012

I have two children in the Spanish Language program at this school. One is in 2nd and the other is in Kinder. The teachers are awesome. The parents are completely involved and the teachers are undoubtably the creme of the crop. I am looking forward to the rest of our elementary years at this school. I love it here!

Posted November 6, 2011

Fake is the farthest from the truth to describe what this school represents. This is my second year at Franklin and next year my middle child will enter Kinder. I absolutely love this school! The new Principal is excellent, the teachers are hard working and well-qualified, and the parent community involvement is outstanding. The immersion program is the cherry on top of the cake! The parents are so involved, establishing after school programs, an organic garden, music program, etc. Yes, there's a lot of fundraising going on but that's necessary for a public school. Yes, public education is free but it doesn't provide all the enrichment and extras that the PTA and the parents do for ALL of the children and the teachers at Franklin. So far, my daughter is excelling in the Spanish program. I am truly pleased and this school is the real deal, 100% GENUINE!!! I highly recommend it. And for those who commented negatively and not constructively, my suggestion to you is to get out if you're not happy. There are plenty of parents who are dying to get into this school and this program.

Posted September 21, 2011

Yes the principal, who was much loved, has moved to another school, but has been replaced with a new, really open, forward thinking one who will be a huge asset in the coming years. The after school enrichment continues to get even better with classes in the target languages. Contrary to the belief of the parent that posted on Nov 19th. the teachers and many parents care a great deal about ALL the students in the language program or not. Yes money is now raised by a school foundation, thankfully, and those that can generously donate large amounts of money so that ALL the children in the school can benefit. Last year many children received after school classes for free if they could not afford it which enriched their lives no end. Perhaps the parents that do not like the changes could perhaps learn to be thankful for all the wonderful things that the school and other parents are giving to their children and not focus on the negative aspect of everything which only reflects badly on them and leaves a lasting negative impact on their children.

Posted July 17, 2011

The principal has moved to another school. He was Franklin and built this immersion school to love kids and families. But, evrything will be ok because the MOST EXCELLENT teachers remain!

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students76%

• German
  • Italian
  • Spanish
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• German
  • Italian
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Arts & music