No rating

St. Mark's Lutheran Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 559 students

Living in Hacienda Heights

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $348,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,740.

Posted October 1, 2014

I don't have enough space to give the school the praise they deserve!!!they don't just teach and care for our children, they love and teach my husband and I too! I have two kids currently attending St.Marks and we LOVE it!! It's home away from home....every teacher has interaction with my family and they're good people. My daughter is 2 and just started in August, she's been there for about 5 weeks now and she's singing songs she just learned, reciting her abc's in its entirety, counting to 13 on her own, recognizing letters and gaining the confidence to be successful! My son has been attending since he was 3 and he has been learning exceptional work! He's now 4 and can write words on his own, solve beginning math equations and think with complete logic and reason. I love St.Marks, they are our growing and extended family and I look forward to everything they have to share with us!!!

Posted March 16, 2014

My son transferred from a local private elementary school. We were a bit concerned with him being able to 'catch up' on his math skills. The transition went so much better than we could have imagined. He is doing great. His coursework is challenging and fun and the first week we brought him to school, he didn't want to leave! He has made great friends and always has some lesson he's learned in school to tell us about at home. I highly recommend St. Mark's Lutheran to anyone seeking quality education for their children.

Posted February 17, 2014

St. Mark's school has been the absolute best choice for my children. My daughter graduated two years ago and my son is currently in 7th grade. The philosophy of the school focuses not only on strong academics, but development of character as well. The faculty are passionate and dedicated. My daughter has excelled in high school as a result of the excellent foundation provided at St. Mark's. St. Mark's provides opportunities in sports, leadership, and drama that my children have participated in with very positive results. The school sets high expectations in all areas for students and provides the support they need to meet or exceed those expectations.

Posted February 14, 2014

We chose to move our son to St. Marks for 6th Grade due to the school s reputation for solid academics and strong sense of community, and we could not be more pleased with our decision. Middle School can be a tough transition for a new student, but the teachers and students have gone out of their way to make our son feel welcome. We have found the core classes and extra curricular activities to be first rate. Our son has been challenged, but not overwhelmed. The teachers really seem to enjoy what they do, and do an excellent job of providing feedback through materials that are sent home and the school s new website. Having come from the public school system, we have quickly realized the advantages that St. Marks offers in terms of the classroom environment, technology and campus facilities.

Posted February 12, 2014

this is our 6th year at St. Marks, we have three children and they love the place. it is a great environment. there are strong academics, good school spirit, strong arts and sports programs. the families are very similar middle and upper middle class families striving to help the kids get ahead. the kids seem to inherently challenge each other. We appreciate the spiritual component with Scripture memory, religion classes, and weekly chapel service. It's up to me as a parent to follow this up. The theatre program in amazing. Very good use of technology and media. speaking to many parents of graduates, the kids seem to do very well in high school and college. there is definitely value but it may not be for everyone. we could improve by having more evaluation/feedback, but quality improvement does take place annually.

Posted February 6, 2014

I can not say enough wonderful things about St. Mark's School (SMS)! My daughter transferred in as a 2nd grader from the Catholic school that suggested my kindergarten-age son be held back a year. I just did not think that that was the best thing for my son so I had him tested at SMS where he was welcomed into kindergarten. Both children have thrived in all ways & I owe it all to SMS. The teachers have demonstrated that they really do care about the kids success. Our Principal, who I have said over and over again, is the smartest woman I've ever met, deserves an honorable degree in Child Psychology. She knows these kids inside/out. She can be trusted to make the best decisions for each & every child no matter of their forming character. The school is truly a nurturing environment. My daughter, now in public high school, has soared to the top of her class thanks in part to the foundation provided at SMS. I feel so blessed that my children attended SMS & we owe a lot of their success to the educational & spiritual foundation they received at St. Mark's School.

Posted January 31, 2014

Students, staff, and parents are a true family. Have two children attending since preschool and cannot say enough good things. No school is perfect, but this is as close as you will get. Academics are strong and kids love going to school everyday. Wonderful educational environment. Will hate to leave !

Posted January 31, 2014

St. Mark's is an exceptional school that offers a challenging curriculum in a nurturing environment where kids are allowed to be kids. My twin sons have been students at St. Mark's for almost eight years now. They have enjoyed all aspects of the school and have already talked about missing it when they graduate this year. Not only have they been given a solid academic foundation, but they have also been provided with opportunities to follow their outside interests through programs such as Reading Counts, robotics, chess, Math Counts, writing contests and spelling bees as well as sports such as flag football and basketball. They look forward to attending school, whether it's because of donuts in Goal Setting, the weekly Pod-cast or re-enacting the "Battle of Bunker Hill" with sponges! The dedicated teachers, administrators and staff provide a positive learning environment with plenty of enriching activities and projects. Woven into the fabric of the school is a strong sense of support and community among the families that attend St. Mark's. Take a tour. Meet the people. Like me, you will look back and be happy that you chose such a wonderful place to educate your children!

Posted January 28, 2014

This school is a true neighborhood treasure. I wish I would have known about it sooner. The thought of switching schools was very daunting at first. However, it was the best move we ever made. We've been there for a little more than one year. My son loves it at St. Mark's. It is intellectually challenging for him in ways which his previous school simply was not. At his former school, there was a strong focus on compliance rather than fostering intelligence and critical thinking skills. The class sizes at St. Mark's are consistent with today's class size research. The curriculum is also about one year ahead of public school standards, which is great for "gifted" children. The principal is an awesome lady and so is the curriculum director. All in all we feel extremely welcomed at St. Mark's and are so happy that we finally found the right school for our family! Love it!!! Love it!!!

Posted January 28, 2014

We brought our daughter to St. Mark's at the beginning of fifth grade. We were a bit nervous as St. Mark's was much bigger than our previous school. From the minute we walked on campus we felt so welcomed by the principal, staff and families. Within a few weeks we felt as if we had been there since kindergarten. There is so much warmth among the families and staff. The curriculum is advanced, which we believe is a plus. Our daughter entered a Lutheran high school known for being advanced in their curriculum and she is doing very well. We attribute this to the foundation, preparation and fostering that St. Mark's provides for their students. Our only regret is that we didn't enroll our daughter back in kindergarten. After our daughter's first day of high school she insisted that we take her to St. Mark's to visit the principal and her teachers. When we arrived most all of her 8th grade graduating class was on campus to do the same thing. I consider that an amazing testimony in itself. Thank you St. Mark's Lutheran School,

Posted January 28, 2014

St. Mark s has provided our daughter with an excellent academic education and a great social environment. She is receiving all the benefits and advantages of the school s outstanding staff and administration. Students are encouraged to become involved in the many extracurricular sports and social events that help to make a student well rounded, making St. Mark s more than just a school. Our daughter truly enjoys her classes and the many friends she has at school. St. Mark s is a great place for children to learn and grow.

Posted October 6, 2013

As a student I didn't like this school at all. I couldn't wait to move schools. The teachers didn't help prepare me for regular schooling or highschool. For example, if you received a low test score you could easily go them for lunch and retake it till you got an A. Also the study guides were a replica of the tests which didn't help me learn how to study on my own. They were very easy academics. Not only was the academics a poor system the school was very expensive. Also there was a major bullying issue that was never addressed. I don't suggest you send your child there if she/ he is not societies' definition of "cool"

Posted September 13, 2013

This school is amazing. From the front office staff to the janitor. Everyone is so kind and helpful. Yes, the academics are challenging and the students are prepared for their future. I don't think enough is said about how much everyone truly cares about each and every student. While academics are important you cannot put a price on how much love and true dedication all of the staff has. Thank you all!

Posted August 23, 2013

This school is so amazing ! I graduated from it a year ago and I have to say, it is so amazing ! I learned so much here that I wouldn't learn from public schools. I go to a public high school now & the kids there are so dumb compared to this school, even Thoe they may be strict in their teaching, they are for a fact , THE BEST school in the state, I've been examining other public and private schools and nothing compares to st marks, i love this school. I wish I can attend st marks again and take it less for granted, I recommend this school for any parents that are looking for a school for their child. And I would know about this school because I am a graduate

Posted June 25, 2013

As a parent of two graduates who started as kindergartners, I can honestly say that St. Mark s has done an exemplary job preparing them for high school with a well-rounded challenging academic curriculum. My oldest attends a highly competitive high school and will graduate at the top of his class. On several occasions he noted that certain academic subjects were easier due to the training he received at St. Mark s. My younger son graduated from St. Mark s this year and will be starting high school with all honor classes. St. Mark s offered a nurturing environment with plenty of opportunities to explore their areas of interest. The dedicated teachers and staff are very involved with the students beyond the classroom providing students with opportunities in a variety of sports and other activities such as Mathcounts, Drama, Podcast, and Band. The school also expands the learning experience with a variety of field trips including visits to Sacramento, El Camino Pines, Catalina, and the East Coast. Through this school we developed a sense of community where my children have made life-long friends, and as parents, we have too. St Mark s was definitely the right choice for my family.

Posted June 15, 2013

St. Marks Lutheran is a well rounded school that offers programs, clubs and sports that most schools cannot or do not. I am in education in the area and I can vouch that all public K-8 schools and most private schools do not offer the comprehensive educational experience that St. Marks does. Is everything perfect everytime? Of course not but what is awesome is the school listens and addresses issues head on from the leadership in the staff from bottom to top address it. I read some of the negative reviews and I would say yes can there be busy bodies as parents but that is everywhere. I have worked in schools for 2 decades and they are everywhere. I am a parent who works many hours and I am not on the campus involved much and yet when I have brought a concern it has been handled immediately.The fundraising is minmal for what kids receive.The work ethic of the administration is exceptional. It is not uncommon to see Ms. Clarks and Mrs. Evangelista at work by 5:45am and you will still see them supporting everything that is happening at the school which is often 7 days a week morning, noon and night. If only there was more characters remaining to tell you more! Just a great school!

Posted June 6, 2013

Our son attended St. Mark's school for 9 years and we have only positive things to say about the school, the teachers and the administration. Though his father and I would love to take all the credit for the bright, caring young man our son has become, we cannot do so in good conscience. St. Mark's teachers are a very caring group and continue to nurture their students to become the best they can be - not just as students - but as a bigger part of our community. We feel after his nine years at St. Mark's, our son has a strong foundation to be successful in high school, college, and life in general. We highly recommend this school to all!

Posted June 4, 2013

My son attended St Marks school from 6th to 8th grade, and our experience was nothing less than spectacular. The teachers are very approachable and genuinely care about each students academic as well as emotional growth.Over the past 3 years St Marks has become an extended family. I am writing this from my heart - when I was diagnosed with cancer, the faculty and community supported my son so well that I did not have to worry about his mental state. Overall, I recommend St Marks school to all parents as it is an experience that must not be missed by young students.

Posted June 3, 2013

As I am exiting this school, I am hopeful that my comments will aid in any potential parents/students looking to attend St. Marks Lutheran in the future. Both of my children have attended St. Marks since preschool. Initially I was looking for a school where the elementary campus- jr. high were on the same property. This was a priority to me for a few reasons, mostly though, I wanted to give my children that sense of "community" that you achieve from knowing your classmates for several years. It was extremely comforting to me as a child and I wanted to duplicate that security for my children. Of course, the level of education was important, and the athletic department, both of which are exceptional. Not only were my initial goals met, but the bonus that I gained from our attendance at St. Marks was the teacher and staff relationship. This is something I will truly miss as we venture into high school, where that one-on-one communication seems to be absent. If I could sum up St. Marks in one word, it would be "family." St. Marks was most definitely the right choice for our children's education, lives, for the past several years. A decision that you WONT regret!

Posted May 24, 2013

We re so glad that we made the decision to send our daughter to St. Mark s. She began in preschool and just graduated from the eighth grade. Our experience with the school has been fantastic. The curriculum is rigorous and extensive. The teachers are knowledgeable, patient, and genuinely care about each student. The small class sizes are definitely a plus. The fact that it s a Christian environment is evident as the students are respectful and are very accepting and kind to each other. With all that being said, what we believe makes St. Mark s stands out from other schools are the extracurricular activities offered to the students. Whether it s sports, MATHCOUNTS, robotics, music, the annual drama production, speech, journalism, art, science, creative writing, or a host of other interests, St. Mark s encourages their students to find an interest and become involved. Our daughter has evolved into an intelligent, confident leader who is most assuredly prepared for the rigors of high school. St. Mark s has helped our daughter believe that she can do anything she sets her mind to do. We thank St. Mark s for an enriching elementary school education.

Asian or Pacific Islander 28% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Ms. Barbara Clark
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Evangelical lutheran church in america
Associations
  • ELEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2323 Las Lomitas Drive