Half Moon Bay, CA
After care: No
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you for submitting your review of Half Moon Bay High School on greatschool.org. Our faculty, staff members, and administration take great pride in providing a high quality and comprehensive educational program to our Coastside youth. Any concerns regarding particular programming, curriculum, extracurriculars, etc can be relayed by contacting us directly. Please visit our website at hmbhs.schoolloop.com for contact information. We look forward to discussing the concerns and opinions of our valued community members and parents. Go Cougars!
January 31, 2014

Posted July 07, 2014
Half Moon Bay High School is a " diamond in the rough." I know that may not sound great but it expresses the new energy and commitment by the faculty, staff and parent community to create and sustain top notch academic programs. My daughter graduated two years ago, along with five other children from our neighborhood. All of them got into the college of their choice and, more importantly, all of them are excelling. The AP programs were great - challenging and engaging. Also, the school is making its mark in sports (Bay Area top 25 basketball team; superior swim program despite a terrible pool, etc). The only drawback seems to be the district's inability to hold onto top level management. The last two principals left for higher pay in what may be perceived as "superior" districts. My daughter petitioned to go to HMBHS (we wanted her to go to one of the private schools in the area). Reluctantly, we said yes and we're super happy we did. We're proud to be a cougar family!

Half Moon Bay High School 4

Posted January 23, 2014
I have two children at Half Moon Bay High School. I think the teachers at the school are generally excellent. I do think there is a lot of pressure to have kids take AP courses if they are college bound. This would not be a problem but in such a small school this leads to essentially a two tier educational track. Sometimes there is a large discrepancy between the academic demands of the higher level courses and "basic" non AP courses with little in between. However for bright motivated kids the rigor and quality of the AP classes is comparable to what is available in private schools. Graduates from HMB HS can and have gone to competitive Ivy League universities and more than hold their own. I do find the administation lacking in warmth and support and seem more motivated on advancing their own agendas. The music program at this high school is small and underfunded but a marvelous director makes it a highlight of most band and chorus student's high school careers. I would like to see less emphasis on sports achievement and more on academic achievement. You might have a 5.0 average but if you are a sports star you will find you get a lot more attention at this school.

Half Moon Bay High School 2

Posted January 22, 2014
After two years with a child at Half Moon Bay HS, I feel I must post a cautionary warning. This is a tiny agricultural community barely keeping up with the competitive academic atmosphere of the Bay Area. The administration and especially the office staff are cold and not interested in the individual needs of students. The class offerings are slim and the teachers are simply sub par. Avoid this high school if you can or plan to pay for supplementary tutors and programs so your child can be college ready. I hoped for better and I am sorely disappointed by our experience with this school and this community. Parent involvement is average, at best, although the community takes great pride in their support of the school! It's a little sad.

Posted March 29, 2010
My daughter graduated with the class of '09 and is now at a UC campus. She was happy and successful at HMB High. We especially appreciate the wonderful music program and its director.

Posted October 03, 2009
The teachers and staff are doing a great job with much less money per child than any other near by high school. They are working very hard to care for all the students and to improve everyone's life regardless of race, class or gender.

Posted September 16, 2009
My son graduated from HMB High in 2007. They have wonderful ART and Music Departments. The Community Spirit keeps these programs alive. We are so fortunate that the School District recognizes that education is not complete without appreciation of the Arts.

Posted September 16, 2009
The Center of Community for the Coastside. HMB High does the best it can with the financial resources available. The Per Child expenditures are not equal on the coastside to other school districts, and yet the school still manages to excel!

Posted April 07, 2009
I have two students in Half Moon Bay high school. For such a diverse population, they do an excellent job with limited resources. The counselors are very involved and exceptional in my opinion. We had the option of private school, and chose this school instead.

Posted April 07, 2009
Beautiful campus, involved and dedicated teachers and diverse student population. I have 3 children who went to HMB high and I recommend it to others.

Half Moon Bay High School 1

Posted September 01, 2008

Half Moon Bay High School
Lewis Foster Drive, Half Moon Bay, CA  94019
Last modified Half Moon Bay High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Half Moon Bay High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top