Stonebrae Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Hayward

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $330,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,550.

Posted July 15, 2014

Good PTA-a specific group of parents are involved. My son went to the regular English class (not the Mandarin program). He completed K with Ms. Crossman (excellent Teacher). there is a noticeable difference in the student population as well as the teacher background/experience between the Mandarin classes & the regular English classes. My hope for the school is to level this difference & apply what has worked for its popular Mandarin program to the English only classes (i.e. teacher experience & motivation, Parent involvement). Principal involvement for the English only classes; the principal takes a lot of pride in the Mandarin program; I wish that the same level of pride and commitment can be applied to the English only classes (I.e. providing more class room options-as an example for the 2014/2015 - there are only 2 1st grade classes offered which limits the choices for teacher options; we hope that the first grade teacher will be as good as the K teacher. Improvement is recommended for its English only classes - i.e. offering more teacher training and working with good student-teachers from Cal, Standford, etc. to be an additional resource to the English teachers.

Posted March 26, 2014

The Mandarin program is challenging, however if you are willing to put in the work and effort its absolutely rewarding. For those parents who are making judgments about the school and staff, how involved or invested in the school are you? Some days the principal does not respond to my requests either but since she has over 700 students with concerns I can forgive her. That's why we remind her of our concern. Volunteering in the class, is a job and to be honest not all parents are qualified. Are you able to handle a group of children who may test boundaries? Do you know how to work independently without the teachers assistance? Can you photocopy using the Rizzo? The more you get involved in the school the better you are informed to make judgments, but as a parent who is involved the more understanding I become! Get involved and commit to your child's school. Then have your say!

Posted March 12, 2014

I totally agreed with reviews Oct 7, 20 & Mar. 4. Many other school districts are having full time kinder for years. Principal's leadership is a disappointment. She may look friendly, but does not get things done. Don't expect assistance or support from her. Yes, front office stuff are rude and not always helpful.

Posted March 4, 2014

I am in total agreement with the Oct. 7th and 20th, 2013 Reviews. I have experienced the same disregard and brush off from both the teachers and principle at Stonebrae. I am currently comparing schools to move my student somewhere that actually provides support and assistance. Great location, awful staff including the office staff, they are rude and dismissive.

Posted February 28, 2014

Just read the review from Oct 20, 2013. Not sure how this parent thinks volunteers are picked. That is not the case at all. All the teachers love volunteers and especially the Kinder Mandarin teachers. I personally know both teachers very well---kids have had them and they WOULD NEVER turn away a parent wanting to volunteer. They welcome them! The only thing stopping a parent to volunteer is if they have not filled out the proper volunteer clearance papers. It's for our kid's safety...if you aren't cleared, you can't volunteer in class. It's the same with any school you go to. I personally have had great success with my 2 kids at Stonebrae.. I like how they are challenged. If your kid is either ahead or behind in class, talk to the teachers...they will work with you to make your kid the best they can be. I have 1 kid who is academically ahead and one that needs a little more improvement. I talked with both teachers and we are working on different things with each kid. In regards to Kinders, most schools have half day Kinder class because it is hard on the little guys to be in school all day until 3 pm. Ask any parent of a kinder. Stonebrae is a BIG thumbs up!

Posted October 20, 2013

Teachers aren't willing to do anything extra if your child is either ahead of the class or if they're falling behind. Indifferent and unwelcoming attitude from them as well. Principal appears to be outgoing and personable but doesn't help. You ask questions and get inaccurate answers. For example, why aren't kinder students there the whole day? I was told they can't handle being there that long and they would cry. It's true about not letting you volunteer. Only a select few are allowed. Who knows how they are picked. When I finally was allowed after insisting, the teacher accepted on a day devoted to arts and crafts... holiday. Almost feels as if they don't want you to see what they do and don't teach. By the way, this is the mandarin program. It's a shame people transfer I'm thinking they're going to get something great. I was sorely disappointed and am seeking a private Chinese school.

Posted October 7, 2013

Stonebrae is a nice school, howevever I am deeply disappointed in the leadership and teaching staff. As a concerned parent wanting to support the teaching staff I found them to be passively stubborn in communicating with me about my child, her progress and ultimately her grades until the last minute when grades had been finalized. The principle made herself appear to be helpful when it really was a brush off, an attitude experienced with other Stonebrae teachers. Unfortunately, my impression has been that they haven't wanted to disclose how they run their class, and sad to say they only want to do the minimum amount of work. So for kids that need that extra help, they are out of luck. Ultimately we removed our child because of this attitude. We needed her to be in a caring and open environment where there is a desire to position her for success. Not in a place where parents are turned away and brushed off.

Posted October 6, 2013

I have graduated from Stonebrae last year. I started as a kinder and ended as a 6th grader. I was there since the school first opened. All my teachers were wonderful, especially my 6th grade teacher. She taught so well I got advanced in both L/A and math for the STAR Test. To me, it all depends on which teacher you get. Everyone is different and can succeed in different ways. The lunch wasn't so good, though. They mainly put packaged food in the oven and cook it. I always brought my own lunch. I was very disappointed with the music program. I believe I stopped the required music in third or fourth grade. My mother wanted me to play the violin in their after school music program, but it was only for 6th graders. Once I was old enough, they didn't have enough money to fund it, leading to it closing down. Overall, Stonebrae is an okay school and I would recommend sending your child here, coming from a former student.

Posted August 29, 2013

This school is a secret gem Hayward in regards to the dedication of the teachers and the programs they have. Wonderful and involved parents. Beautiful area too.

Posted June 18, 2013

We debated enrolling our children in a public school at Hayward and almost went to a private school. When we found out about the Mandarin Imersion program at Stonebrae, we decided to give it a try. I enrolled my daughter for kindergarten Fall 2009 - it was one of the BEST descision we made. The school is amazing. The teachers and staff care. The principal is on top of everything and the parents and PTA are involved - they even have a great Watch DOGS (Dads of Great Students) program. This is probably one of the only schools in Hayward where kids from outside the district actually transfer from other districts to attend! By the time both my kids were in 1st grade they were able to read, write and speak Mandarin! The curriculum is extremely challenging and kids LOVE thier school to the point where they never want to be out - both of them had 100% attendance this year!! Go Huskies!!

Posted June 3, 2013

Like this school---also have to give a thumbs up to the Mandarin program. They have some great teachers with a huge amount of parent involvement. My kid spoke some mandarin once to someone at a chinese restaurant. They understood my child and even commented how well they spoke (we do not speak mandarin) so that was wonderful and a testament to what a great program this is.

Posted May 24, 2013

Stonebrae- Nice school in a beautiful area near Stonebrae Country Club. The teachers are great. Great programs.

Posted March 7, 2013

My son is in K so I can't speak for grades after K but he loves his class & teacher (he is in the mandarin immersion program) and is learning in well in both languages. Parent involvement in his class is high which helps also.

Posted January 23, 2013

very good school. i have my positive support to it. awesome. great culture. great going staff..

Posted June 18, 2012

Posted January 13, 2012

There are lot of room for improvements are expected. Parent participation varies for each classes. Some classes are lucky to have lots of parent volunteers. Others has none or very little volunteer. Some class has no room parent. The class with more parent volunteers benefits more. The school really need to address this issue. Volunteer recognition or rewards, or something to get parents more involve. I think the parents involvement will indirectly help the school ratings! I am happy with the newly added after school that is offered (Kung Fu and Singing), but my kid is only 1st grade and not eligible. More after school Enrichment Program is highly expected. Principal is there a way to work with HARD (Hayward Area Recreational District) to bring dance/art/drawing/language/music/theater on campus site with a fee. Children who wish to attend can pay small fee through HARD. Just provide a place where activities can happen after school.

Posted October 18, 2011

I totally agree with the previous reviews about the principal. If you have children with processing problems and leaning challenges, you would get no help from her. The principle is absolutely unfair and obliviouse of how to take care of kids with processing disabilities. parents I knew including myself never get a reply from her regarding our inquiries, we wrote at least 3 times. There was no empathy nor care from the principle. Its been our observation of the school principle that she neglectfully only cares about school ratings and her job and not really wanting to help our child. This principle is absolutely heartless when it comes to our child's wellbeing. she cares only about her bureaucracy. The principle would not help. At least she could provide solutions or suggest resources. She did not and would not even when we met and talked to her. Talk the talk never gets anywhere. What is the district thinking when hiring her? She does not fit to be a principal. She does not care about the students at all.

Posted August 31, 2011

We enrolled our child in their well advertised "Mandarin Immersion Program" for 2 years. All the Mandarin teachers are very green but the ones that my kid had learned from are hard working. Very very limited spots for after school care especially given that the school is way way up the Hayward hill. The school are too reliant on government grant and should have taken care of providing alternative on-site after school care that the parents have offered to pay. I'm disappointed that I have to pull my child because of this reason. Principal Nolting , please provide an alternative on-site after school care. I'm sorry but 4C's is not the solution!!!

Posted August 4, 2011

I was a student in Stonebrae and it was okay. I started going to Stonebrae in 1st grade. It was a very nice school until 3 or 4 months later, the school started to look like a mess. It stank whenever you pasted...well..anywhere.. The teachers are really really nice and really work their time in class to help us learn. There is only one teacher who I will not name that has anger issues! She ruined my 3rd grade year. Anyways, the rest of the teachers I had were awesome! I was really really struggling with math, but, with the help of my teachers (not the 3rd grade one), I became an honor roll student! I am now in seventh grade and will be missing that school i was growing up with. GO HUSKIES!

Posted November 14, 2010

I went to Stonebrae for elementary and I absolutely loved it! The teachers are amazing, as well as the principal. All of the students feel like a Family there. Go Huskies! (:

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students56%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 7%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

28761 Hayward Boulevard