Huntington Beach, CA

Posted September 15, 2014
In response to the review above Dwyer is not even close to being a Title 1 school nor is on the list of California Title 1 schools. Dwyer is in an extremely affluent area of coastal HB and the PTA and parents contribute lots of money to keep many of the programs going.. That being said the school does a great job of catering to all students no matter their background or income level.

Posted June 14, 2014
My kid is in 6th grade GATE at Dwyer. The comment about the school "dumbing down" the math curriculum is no longer correct. In response to intense parent concern, the district has sent a letter to parents of children in advanced math to let them know that there will be algebra for qualified 7th graders and geometry for 8th graders. GATE language arts is very good. My kid has read short classics and poetry, learned literary analysis and critical evaluation. Math is advanced and I feel my child is challenged, although we do supplement all work at home as well. It's a very good public school. Teachers have responded to all of my queries or concerns. (except one -- woodshop -- who seems lackadaisical and indifferent but there are always inadequacies no matter where you're at). Overall, very satisfied. Remember that even when a child doesn't have a great teacher, or an unfair teacher, THAT experience itself is a learning experience. You cannot nor should you insulate your child from everything. I am concerned, however, by the foul language kids at schools (probably most schools) use nowadays, which I hear when I pick up my kid. It is a disgrace.

Ethel Dwyer Middle School 3

Posted May 21, 2014
This school is okay. The school district has chosen to be dumb down the math for all grades next year, so Dwyer will no longer offer accelerated math to 6th graders, algebra to 7th graders, or geometry to 8th graders. The kids spend a lot of time on their phones during class, and the teachers teach straight out of their manuals. In English, the kids don't even read entire books; instead, they read shortened "mcbooks" geared toward standardized tests. Kids aren't formally taught how to write, and have no idea how to structure an essay. My child has not once written a formal lab report for science. If you just want your kids out of the house and in a safe holding pen until they move on to high school, this school is for you. If you have a bright kid who wants to do something other than learn to a standardized test, consider sending her elsewhere.

Posted November 23, 2013
AMAZING school with AMAZING leadership!! These people really care about the children and families! I have always felt welcomed every time I have ever walked into the office. The teachers are more than willing to help and support, and the principle and vs principle will do whatever needed to make it happen! My son has received so much love and support at Dwyer from all! We came from a horrific school where there was a ton of bulling, a very cold un caring staff, a few real bad teachers, and a NIGHTMARE of a principle, Ms O at Harbor View! My son has thanked me for getting him here! He is a straight A student, Honor Roll, with a 4.0 GPA so I am a happy grateful mom! THANK YOU Dwyer, and Dr Smith for all the wonderful things you do for our kids!

Posted November 23, 2013
My school is 2nd to none on making sure ALL students get the best education they can get for the 3 years that the students attend. The Teachers really care & make sure the students EARN their grades. The front office staff handles matters with respect and careful consideration whenever you may have an issue of any sort. In schools, it's the help of parents, like myself, to help make the school successful by being a volunteer to make things happen. You get a good feeling when you're involved because you see 1st hand that you can, maybe, do anything good to help the kid's succeed. I'm close to all the issues and success that the PTA does, and with Dr. Smith giving his TEAM direction, anything is possible the Dwyer the best school ever.

Posted August 26, 2013
I have 3 Children that have gone to Dwyer. We are impressed with how things are handled by the principal Mr. Smith. The new Zap program is great! It keeps kids accountable for their OWN classwork/homework. I am thankful for this great school, in our wonderful community. :)

Posted August 18, 2013
We have 2 sons at Dwyer School. One graduated in 2012 and one is going to 7th grade. It's a very good school, academically. Even though a Title 1 (school with high % of low income), it continuously improves its STAR scores every year in 7 years, and now is the # 1 middle school in district. It ranks 9 out of 10 (10 is the best) in statewide, and on the right path to reach the 10 in near future. The principal is great and understandable. He supports students wanting in higher education. My 2nd son was transferred from elementary, and placed in accelerated Math 6 with history/english in GATE. We asked the principal to place him in pre-algebra (after showing his excellent STAR results), he agreed. My son performed well and now ready to take on algebra 1 in 7th grade. Thanks to principal. Most teachers are nice; They do care for kids. Some give too little or nothing on homework. That makes kids lazy and lose their studiousness habit, and unlikely improving their knowledge. I like some teachers giving hw around 30 min per subject, or 45 minutes for GATE. Dwyer has great GATE program, enjoys lots of volunteered parents. Dwyer produces many excellent students going to high schools.

Ethel Dwyer Middle School 1

Posted June 24, 2013
Uninspired homeroom teachers! My son got bad home room teachers two years in a row and now he hates school! They were there going through the motion but they are not really teaching nor do they really care whether the kids are learning. Forget the part about them taking initiative to inspire the kids to learn. My son is like a boiling angry person inside because he can never get the feeling of being on the right with the teachers who seem to flush him down the toilet in everything he tried to do.

Posted April 26, 2013
I have 2 children at Dwyer (6th & 8th) and I could not be happier. We have lived in 3 diff. states & my children have attended 8 diff. schools and this is by far is the best (previous school was 10). Teachers are amazing and the principal is the best! Music program is spectacular esp. the teacher! Everything of course is not perfect but I feel that you get from a situation what you put in. I work with the teacher that I have. They each have different styles - just as the kids do. I have found that almost all teachers are receptive and care about the students. It is a great place to learn and I am not an easy person to please. I have never met a better principal - truly gifted in what he does. My children are both very different - one in GATE, the other has some academic challenges. The school has handled both situations exceptionally. For example, my son was struggling on his math tests, due to inattention and he now takes his tests in the principals office & he has rec'd 100 on both of his last tests. My daughter recently applied to some private high schools & both principal and teachers wrote numerous ltrs of recomm. without any hassle. Truly a "Great School."

Ethel Dwyer Middle School 4

Posted October 29, 2012
Our daughter is doing very well at Dwyer. Is it Dwyer or her? She's in GATE and scores very high in standardized tests. The GATE program at Dwyer is very good in that it requires the students to show initiative and take responsibility. She works very hard on her school work to achieve her results. She is taking Algebra in 7th while one of her friends who was good in math in elementary school is now struggling in basic math, which I find puzzling. The school offers many levels of math for 7th graders, from algebra, pre-algebra, math and basic math [my son took math in 7th & pre-algebra in 8th].

Ethel Dwyer Middle School
1502 Palm Avenue, Huntington Beach, CA  92648
Last modified Ethel Dwyer Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ethel Dwyer Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top